Shooting boltgun and bolt pistol - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-17, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Default Shooting boltgun and bolt pistol

Hi all. I'm new here but have played all rules sets since second edition. I was having a read scan of the rules after my last battle and wanted clarification over shooting. I play chaos and my marines have a boltgun and bolt pistol and the rule states that you shoot all available weapons each shooting phase. My question is this: if I am within 12" of the unit I am shooting do I have 2 shots with the rapid fire boltgun AND a single shot with the bolt pistol. I'm thinking in terms of tanks that have several weapons and shoots them all each turn if able and the rule doesn't specify whether infantry can do this or not and there is no faq out about it. 3 shots within 12" and on overwatch would up the odds. Thanks in advance for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-17, 03:42 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Welcome to Heresy!

If you look under the rules for Pistols, page over from shooting in the core rulebook, it says that you can't shoot pistols at the same time as rapid fire weapons (among other weapon types).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-17, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Big old derr to me! Hadn't looked at that so thanks for clarifying and showing me up! Lol.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-17, 04:09 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

no worries pal, way it goes moving from edition to edition.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-10-17, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, especially when it's been a while, never even got rule book for 7th, couldn't see point with chaos getting hobbled. Cheers again.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-17, 06:50 AM
Feed

Yea, you shoot pistols OR you shoot everything else.

I guess shooting a bolt pistol takes more concentration than firing multiple configurations on a far more complicated combi weapon.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-11-17, 08:59 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Combi weapons are easy. They're presumably a case of "flip fire selector to everything and the kitchen sink, pray to the Omnissiah that you performed maintenance properly, then pull the trigger."

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-17, 07:30 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpion5 View Post
Yea, you shoot pistols OR you shoot everything else.

I guess shooting a bolt pistol takes more concentration than firing multiple configurations on a far more complicated combi weapon.
It's a balancing thing since pistols are usable in close combat now. It also makes it so that there's a reason to take two pistols instead of a pistol and a not pistol. If you think about it, it makes sense-- you wouldn't shoot once with your rifle and then snap a couple off with your sidearm just to shoot a couple with the sidearm-- you'd use whatever the appropriate weapon for the moment is. If that's your combi-weapon, you're operating that single device even though it fires multiple weapons. If you're drawing your pistol(s), you're in a situation where those are more effective than your rifle and are either in close proximity to an enemy and can't bring a rifle to bear, or you're trying to utilize the flexibility of dual-wielding pistols. Side note, unless it's a .22, it's almost impossible to dual-wield pistols effectively, despite what you see on TV.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode