Experience of 8th - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-17, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Default Experience of 8th

Hello!
I'm asking you all whom have had your first games of 8th ed.

How is it to play without templates&blasts?

How much does it impact the game not having facings on vehicles anymore?

Do you miss the above?

I'm have not have any chanse of playoff my first game yet so I'm asking in advance.

Tanks all!

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-17, 08:20 PM
Feed

It's certainly different. And while the loss of some elements does seem to reduce the necessity of certain strategic elements during the movement phase, the new combat phase rules just added an all new strategic element that can really screw you over if you make the wrong call at the wrong time. So many combat units that were let down by their initiative values are now viable again.

But for me the biggest change is probably how AP works, going from fixed values to modifiers is a huge improvement. In the previous edition, the majority of power weapons being AP3 meant they were useless as soon as someone donned a terminator suit. Now though, everyone has cause to fear power weapons again. The way it should be.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-17, 12:57 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
As a Sisters player, I miss the Template. The Blast, not so much, as those tended to be far more random anyway, but the Template usually gets turned into 1d6 hits now - and that's far less than a well-placed template used to get you. With a template weapon, you traded the risk of having to get close for reliable high damage... now you still need to get close and then you're completely depending on luck. 2d3 would've been far better.

To add insult to injury, the cost of a Flamer went up. Still has a role as 8th tends to have more infantry on the field, but... bleh.

Quote:
Armor-wise, not much, actually. You'll have a slightly easier time parking and it saves time and discussion. The fact that weapon arcs disappeared with it though... that's a bigger change, especially for tanks with sponsons, and Flyers. It ups their firepower considerably compared to what you're used to.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-01-17, 01:32 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Games go faster and there's less disputes between players over....well, every aspect of templates and scatter just about

Quote:
No more arguments about firing arcs is a good thing.

Quote:
Do you miss the above?
Not in the slightest. Movement goes a hell of a lot faster when you don't have people spacing out 20+ model squads in anticipation of prolonged exposure to templates or agonizing over how you can get just the right arc from your vehicle. It's no less tactical either, movement is still by and large the most important phase of the game to me.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in