Deathwatch Related questions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Default Deathwatch Related questions

Hi all.

So i've been playing a full DW army for a little bit now and have been enjoying playing it but have come across a few things that i don't particularly understand so i'm hoping some of you guys know or can aid in understanding.

When it comes to having allies of detachments with your army I.E: Taking a Blood Angels Devastator squad with your deathwatch army. Does that squad/detachment subject to the Kill Team/Mission tactic rules? Can i say put a deathwatch vet squad with the devastators and have the whole thing gain a kill team rule or just have the devastators with a mission tactic?

Another question i've had is to what extent can SM stuff be converted to DW. I get that currently the only vehicles allowed are the ones in the rule book but does this also apply for units and/or the weapons? So could i convert say a scout squad to a DW scout, DW Techmarine, DW Command Squad etc. Or are all these things just outright SM and DW can't utilise anything from the SM codex?

Can any of the DW in reserves come in on turn 1?. If i have a corvus Blackstar can he come in on turn 1 anyway or some squads with the Sudden Onslaught rule come in turn 1? etc.

If i take 3-5 DW Librarians could i turn that into a Librarius Conclave?

If i had a kill team that included a terminator that gave the squad fearless, and the terminator dies does the whole squad lose fearless And/or Its kill team rule EG: Aquila needs 1 Vet squad and 1 or more choices from (Librarian, Terminator, Vanguard, Biker) So if the one terminator in that squad, making it an Aquila Team dies would they lost the ability to re-roll wounds and armor pens of 1 and the fearless/relentless rule?.

Sorry if none of these make alot of sense and thanks in advance for any advice/know how on these questions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 09:31 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knighty View Post
When it comes to having allies of detachments with your army I.E: Taking a Blood Angels Devastator squad with your deathwatch army. Does that squad/detachment subject to the Kill Team/Mission tactic rules? Can i say put a deathwatch vet squad with the devastators and have the whole thing gain a kill team rule or just have the devastators with a mission tactic?
Nope, each Detachment in an army uses the rules for its own faction. So no Blood Angels with Deathwatch Mission Tactics.

Quote:
Another question i've had is to what extent can SM stuff be converted to DW. I get that currently the only vehicles allowed are the ones in the rule book but does this also apply for units and/or the weapons? So could i convert say a scout squad to a DW scout, DW Techmarine, DW Command Squad etc. Or are all these things just outright SM and DW can't utilise anything from the SM codex?
The latter, DW can't utilise anything from the SM codex (though they CAN bring an allied detachment/formation of SM, to do it FOR them). Note that a DW scout isn't ever going to happen for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Can any of the DW in reserves come in on turn 1?. If i have a corvus Blackstar can he come in on turn 1 anyway or some squads with the Sudden Onslaught rule come in turn 1? etc.
Not normally, though things like a Skyshield Landing Pad can give you some wiggle room here and there.

Quote:
If i take 3-5 DW Librarians could i turn that into a Librarius Conclave?
No, as that's not a DW Formation. However, since it IS a Formation it's a detachment, and as both factions are Armies of the Imperium, you can thus bring a Librarius Conclave in as a detachment of (Battle Brother) SM allies.

Quote:
If i had a kill team that included a terminator that gave the squad fearless, and the terminator dies does the whole squad lose fearless And/or Its kill team rule EG: Aquila needs 1 Vet squad and 1 or more choices from (Librarian, Terminator, Vanguard, Biker) So if the one terminator in that squad, making it an Aquila Team dies would they lost the ability to re-roll wounds and armor pens of 1 and the fearless/relentless rule?.
Okay, that's effectively two questions. Fearless is an USR. Like some other USRs, it will apply to a complete unit if there's a single model with the special rule in it. However, if that model is lost, the unit also doesn't have the USR anymore.

The Aquila kill team is a formation and you don't lose the formation's rules just because you lose part of it.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Cheers for the reply.

Well that really sucks i kinda hoped being a faction with access to literally everything almost in lore and such that they could access stuff from SM codex and such. Well maybe in the future some stuff will.

Everything else is pretty cleared up just one more thing though. You're saying brining them in detatchments in formation with allies, would that mean they have to be in some formation in order to be deployed with DW, i can't just say a Centurion squad is being deployed with the DW forces. Or i couldn't give a veteran squad a lascannon or grav gun?

Thanks in advance

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 02:31 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
You're saying brining them in detatchments in formation with allies, would that mean they have to be in some formation in order to be deployed with DW, i can't just say a Centurion squad is being deployed with the DW forces.
All units/models in your army have to be taken as part of a Detachment or Formation (type of Detachment where units are specific and a Force Organization Chart of some sort is not used) if you want to play a Battle Forged army. You could quite easily take, in an Allied Detachment from the core rulebook, an HQ, Troops selection, and the Centurions you so desire and remain Battle Forged. If you start adding units to your army however you'd like you're building an Unbound army and only models from Formations retain their special rules (seemingly, no FoC style Detachments are allowed in this instance).

Quote:
Or i couldn't give a veteran squad a lascannon or grav gun?
A Deathwatch Veteran squad? They do not have that option in their unit entry.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 05:35 PM

Grav-Guns are actually in the Special Weapons list for Veterans, but whether they're worth it at the cost is... questionable. Special Issue ammo turns your normal bolters into something that's probably more generally useful than a Grav-Gun anyway, certainly if you're looking at potential horde armies. Not so much against a Grey Knight Terminators list maybe, but still - it will kill anything with a 3+ or worse save with relative ease. Still, you can grab one or two to deal with enemy Terminators and help deal with vehicles.

Lascannons indeed are not available to Veterans, but they don't really want to stop to fire them anyway.
ntaw likes this.

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 06:38 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Dur for whatever reason I read that as being the grav cannon not gun.

Frag cannons for the win anyway, if BA don't get them one day I'll paint a Devastator squad with some AI frag cannons and use Deathwatch rules to plug them into my army for games.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
Frag cannons for the win anyway, if BA don't get them one day I'll paint a Devastator squad with some AI frag cannons and use Deathwatch rules to plug them into my army for games.
Check Imperial Agents, there's a small "Deathwatch Kill Team" Detachment in there.

Compulsory: 1 Troops, all units must have the Deathwatch Faction. As the only choice, Veterans are spelled out (similar as Deathwatch Codex, except they can only take the Corvus Blackstar as a transport). You want Frag Cannons? You can HAVE Frag Cannons :D

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers, pretty sure i understand most of it now

Also that was a typo my behalf it was Grav Cannon, not gun which doesn't matter as yeah they aren't on the wargear lists either, it'd be nice to think you could be sneaky with the lascannon with troops as there is a profile for it (i realise its for tanks and such only) but no one would buy that XD
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Grav-Guns are actually in the Special Weapons list for Veterans, but whether they're worth it at the cost is... questionable.
Fair point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Lascannons indeed are not available to Veterans, but they don't really want to stop to fire them anyway.
If you were to get lascannons couldn't you attach like a terminator to the squad to grant it relentless so that the las/grav cannons could move and fire? If they end up allowing those weapons it would mean a fast moving anti tank squad, throw in two heavy or normal hammers and you got yourself a anti tank re-rolling wounds/armor pens against heavy support...a man can dream.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-17, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Fair point.

If you were to get lascannons couldn't you attach like a terminator to the squad to grant it relentless so that the las/grav cannons could move and fire? If they end up allowing those weapons it would mean a fast moving anti tank squad, throw in two heavy or normal hammers and you got yourself a anti tank re-rolling wounds/armor pens against heavy support...a man can dream.
Nope, Relentless doesn't spread to other models in the unit. Slow And Purposeful does, but good luck finding something that'll join your Deathwatch squad that has it

I will, however, note that smacking a nearby vehicle is pretty easy with Deathwatch. If you think a Frag Cannon won't do the job, Chainfists for Terminators and Melta bombs for practically every other squad can be had for a mere 5 points each.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Tags
deathwatch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode