Necron Obelisk Qs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-15, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default Necron Obelisk Qs

1. How would you consider the weaponry for the Tesla Spheres? Are each one turrets? Are each one considered a 90 degree arc from their corner? 180? 270? Overlapping fields of fire? Seems like such a strange weapon, with no barrels to work with, etc.

2. Gravity Pulse & Allies of Convenience: Would this affect them? I believe the wording on AoC is 'treat them as enemies you can't target', while Gravity Pulse says 'all enemy Flyer, Skimmer, etc etc...'. I assume that means the allies would be affected.

3. Not a rule, but if you've ever played one, I'm curious about your thoughts on the unit.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-15, 09:57 PM
Rattlehead

1. I always assumed 270 degrees - they can't shoot through the Obelisk, but apart from that if you can draw Line of Sight you're a-okay. I can see an argument for 90 degrees being made though - a lot of people still believe that if it's not specified, it's hull-mounted by default.

2. Pretty sure it'd hit Allies of Convenience.

3. Seems like a pretty reasonable dude to bring along, powerful guns and survivable.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-15, 10:09 PM

1. I would say 270 arc, a monolith's weapons are almost that if you look at how they turn, and its meant to arc out of any point on the sphere rather than shot from a specific point.

2. Yes as the allied flies are not being targeted specifically, its just say all enemy fliers suffer this effect unfortunately.

3. It seems pretty good, but I don't think I would personally take one over a tesseract vault. But I can't really comment as I have not tried it out in game, suffice to say it is one tough cookie though!

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-15, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
3. It seems pretty good, but I don't think I would personally take one over a tesseract vault. But I can't really comment as I have not tried it out in game, suffice to say it is one tough cookie though!
Yeah, if I could pull it off, I absolutely would. What I'm going for, actually, is just throwing in the allied LoW. With the Decurion, you can actually get away with a single Obelisk in ANY army... it's a legit formation to add one Obelisk and 0-2 Monoliths. Hence wondering about its effect on other factions around it.

My Thousand Sons may use the Obelisk as a count as for a Silver Tower.

The cheapest I could run Tesseract is about 700 points, because I would need a bare bones Lord and a squad of Immortals.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-15, 12:37 PM

Ah of course, yeah that would work really nicely to ally in

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-15, 07:39 PM
Rattlehead

It would work really well as a Silver Tower, come to think of it!

I actually really like the Living Tomb formation. Yes, it's dumb, but doing a null deployment and then dropping your whole army down in Monoliths would be fucking badass. Do you remember the last level of Winter Assault? Yeah, think of that.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-15, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

You realize you lose on turn 1, right? The formation has to start in reserve and guarantees appearance on turn 2.

It's Deathwing all over again, with nothing on the board at the end of the first turn.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-15, 07:48 PM
Rattlehead

Oh, I thought it came in turn 1.

Well, deploy a little bit of stuff and you should be a-okay, keeping any Necron unit in a Decurion alive for the first turn should be trivially easy even without LOS blocking terrain.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-15, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

*points you to his most recent Necron list he posted*

It's time for another round of 'Necrons do it better than TSons'... so yeah, I actually wrote one with a Vault. That should be fun, dropping a LoW worth over 25% of the army.

But yeah, I really think I may try using an Obelisk in a CSM list as a Silver Tower. Even with the issue of gravity pulse, it'd be great for them.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-06-15, 08:24 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
'Necrons do it better than TSons'
Look, you don't have to specify Necrons, everything does it better than TSons. Whatever you're referring to. Thousand Sons are absolutely horrendous, we know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Even with the issue of gravity pulse, it'd be great for them.
Eh, it only affects the Heldrake since FMCs have Move Through Cover and therefore automatically ignore Dangerous Terrain, so I don't think it's a huge issue (it's unlikely to do much at the best of times, and on a Heldrake with it's 5++, even less so).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode