Shooting wound distribution. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Vorag of Strigos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Shooting wound distribution.

Right here is my query for those more experienced than I.

I read that wounds are allocated to the closest models first and then the next closest and so on and so forth in the event the original front row models die. If this is true, would it be possible to place two or three models in the front rank of a force with an impressive invulnerable save and leave the rear models less equipped but sporting more firepower. Since the models at the front would soak up all the wounds and this protect the weaker models in the rear.

Could I for example, place (say) terminators with storm shields in front of some shooters in order to protect the rear shooters further with the storm shield improved invulnerable save whilst keeping up an onslaught of cyclone missiles/ plasma blasts / assault rounds etc.

"Trample the weak, and hurdle the dead."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 05:33 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorag of Strigos View Post
Could I for example, place (say) terminators with storm shields in front of some shooters in order to protect the rear shooters further with the storm shield improved invulnerable save whilst keeping up an onslaught of cyclone missiles/ plasma blasts / assault rounds etc.
Absolutely - As long as they're in the same unit, this is a very valid tactic. I've seen it used in Space Marine lists, where a guy with Artificer armor basically protects the entire squad and the associated apothecary, as he's standing in front with his 2+ armor and then a 5+ FnP.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 05:47 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Yeah, that's perfectly legal. Just remember to only roll as many dice as you have of the first type of save before you move on to the other type of save: if you have 2 TH/SS termis out in front then 3 2LC Termis behind them, it's not kosher to roll all 5 AP2 hits you've taken at once, but rather, roll 2 (remove any casualty SS Termis), then roll as many dice as you have SS Termis remaining, etc, until you've killed off enough minis to get a different save.

A canny opponent will work around that, of course. There isn't a lot of AP2 Barrage weapons in the game, but barrage do deal casualties from the template's center, not from the front. A fast opponent (say Eldar with their mobility and semi-Rending shuriken weapons) will zip around behind or to the side of the squad to shoot at the more vulnerable folks first. Or, in the case of that Termi squad, they might bombard you with non-AP2 weapons until you roll a few 1s, so that you're taking everything on 2+ regardless, and then once your SS-bearers are down, they'll let rip with the AP2 stuff against the squishier other Termis.

So it's not an impervious tactic, but it is a good one!

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-21-15, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Vorag of Strigos's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Absolutely - As long as they're in the same unit, this is a very valid tactic. I've seen it used in Space Marine lists, where a guy with Artificer armor basically protects the entire squad and the associated apothecary, as he's standing in front with his 2+ armor and then a 5+ FnP.
Oooh excellent! I was going to make a Sisters of Battle allied detachment featuring a Ecclesiarchy Battle Conclave and I was put off slightly by the Arco-Flagellants utter lack of an armour save despite their close combat potential.

I was going to put a squad of 10 but replace the front 3 with Crusaders and their storm shields would allow a rather quick advance for the remainder who I'd convert to Deathcult assassins.

My initial tactic was to advance with the Crusaders in front sticking to cover and preventing over watch and shooting, then pile in the assassins behind the crusaders so as to protect them further and allow a ton of power sword strikes to occur with a decent amount of tanking done up front.

"Trample the weak, and hurdle the dead."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode