Librarius Conclave and 'end of phase' - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default Librarius Conclave and 'end of phase'

I posted this question on a few groups already. I've seen some various replies, and I'm gathering more opinions.

In the new SM Codex, the Librarius Conclave Formation (and also the datasheet that was released last year for Dark Angels!) has an interesting rule.

Short version: Nominate one Librarian to cast ALL powers that the other librarians in this formation (within 12" of the nominated dude) knows. If one Libby is within 12" of the 'master', he casts on a 3+. if 2 are within 12", he casts on a 2+. If you use this option, ALL Librarians (regardless of within 12") can't cast until the end of the psychic phase.

Emphasis mine, but you can guess where this question is going.

RAI, this means to say that the Librarians can't cast again until their next turn. To my knowledge there are no effects anymore that can be activated in another turn, during assault (I'm looking at you, Force), etc. To mix games, every Psychic Power is a 'sorcery', not an 'instant'.

RAW, I'm finding more and more people that are saying that 'until the end of the psychic phase' means that as long as everything else in that phase has happened, you can THEN start casting with those Librarians because now it's the end of your phase.

However, in the BRB, 'End of the Phase' is listed as 'after all other actions have occurred, before the next phase begins' (I'm paraphrasing from memory). So for instance, picking up the Relic happens at the END of the movement phase, after all movement, before Shooting begins.

So... what's your take on it? Are the Librarians unable to act at all for casting until their next turn, and GW once again failed to write a rule correctly? Or can they cast AT the end of the psychic phase?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 02:48 PM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

I must admit I don't see the big question here - it says until the end of the psychic phase specifically; Hence the other librarians cannot cast in that turn, as when the phase ends, so does their ability to use any sort of psychic powers. You are then in the shooting phase.

Seems to me like intentional misinterpreting to me.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

That's my personal belief, but I'm willing to put it to debate for those people who feel that 'end of phase' is its own time period for casting. Honestly, I'd love to see real arguments from people on that side of things. It usually devolves into 'they're just bad people to try and get away with that'.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 02:55 PM
Rattlehead

The Librarians in the formation other than the nominated Librarian for the Formation's special rule can't cast that turn. The logical premises of this argument are located at the ends of my arms.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-14-15, 05:02 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Seems to me like intentional misinterpreting to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
The logical premises of this argument are located at the ends of my arms.
Sums up my thoughts quite nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
'they're just bad people to try and get away with that'
There are so many formations and detachments out there (as I think you've mentioned yourself), why even bother with these little grey areas? Lots of ways to win without spending half your time with the hobby debating GW's wording.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 05:12 AM

Did it work the same for DA version too ?
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Because DA has a smaller player base, it hasn't come up ad much. Plus it was a web release. I never knew about the DA version until this one was released.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xabre View Post
Because DA has a smaller player base, it hasn't come up ad much. Plus it was a web release. I never knew about the DA version until this one was released.
I see, im kinda annoyed a bit that SM are getting all the cool DA stuff like Conclave and Deathwing Assault.... Just much better.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 01:25 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

At least the DA book is still up for renewal, and that book is over two years old. Try being a SW or BA player

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-15, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

Or Thousand Sons. You know, the guys that DESERVE a giant sorcerer conclave. :p

Honestly, with the wargear options, and how deadly Mind Worm can be, the DA version is pretty sweet. And I'm sure Deathwing Assault will get better in their own formations.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode