Melee Blockage Question - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

N0rdicNinja's Flag is: USA

Default Melee Blockage Question

I played a game over the weekend with a friend of mine, you all may know him as SPYDeR13, and we came across an interesting situation that we weren't really sure about so we figured we would ask on the forums. I made the following diagram to try and help show what I'm talking about:

Terrain: Brown Boxes
Chaos Marines: Black Box
Chaos Vindicator: Grey Box
Mob of 25-30 Orks: Green Blob
2" Range on the CC: Red Line

Ok, thanks to both a blown up truck that was very awkwardly in the way and one of the Chaos Sorcerers psychic powers (don't remember what it's called but the one that allows him to move one of your squads) my Orks were practically placed in a straight line when assaulting his Chaos Marine squad. Which worked out rather nicely for him cause it made it so only so many orks were getting their attacks each round but that's not the point of this post so I digress. The real question that I have is about his Vindi, if you notice on the diagram I drew up the only way the Vindi can go is either through one of the pieces of terrain or through the mob of Orks sitting directly in front of it. Naturally my opponent just wanted to move the Vindi forward and not through one of the pieces of terrain but there inlies the question.... can he do it? Thanks to the line of Orks it pretty much boxed in his Vindi, but since the unit is technically in CC I know they can't be tank shocked, but what about the Orks that are no where near the melee yet? They're well outside the 2" range to be able to throw their punches in so do they still count? Can he just run through them? I assumed no but it was still a valid question... And on another note, what if that Vindi was instead a Havok Squad or something, would that mob of Orks still count as being in CC for the sake of blocking line of site to anything on the other side of them?

I hope someone understands the questions I'm trying to ask, any help would be appreciated. =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 01:04 PM

Okay well for one your orks can pile in at the start of a round of combat so they'd only be that way for a small time. Secondly you can tank shock Units that are in CC I think. It breaks them out of CC too..... I might be wrong as I don't have the rulebook on me so it's not guaranteed

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 01:23 PM
Grey Knight Converter

asianavatar's Flag is: Canada

No tank shocking units in close combat. With that situation I think the tank is stuck there.

I used to roll the dice, Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes

Quote:
I'm afraid there's no authoritative source for thinking you're an asshole
Aramoro

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

N0rdicNinja's Flag is: USA

Agreed, after a turn or two of consolidating they would be out of the way, but as we all know one turn could make all the difference in a game of Warhammer and that was one turn where the Vindi was rendered pretty useless. We just wanted to verify cause if you were to think about it realistacly, the driver of the Vindi wouldn't give a crap if the boyz in the front of the mob were fighting agains his allies, he can run over the ones in the back without worry of endangering his own men. Which is why we wanted to ask the question.

And if you can Tank Shock an active melee that's news to me. o.O;
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 02:32 PM

I'm not sure about it. I think it was a drunk reading.... I'll check when I get home... More than likely I'm wrong though.... There was a thread around about it too

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 04:44 PM

solkan's Flag is: USA

It doesn't matter whether the orc unit stretched across the board or not, the whole unit is locked in combat and thus cannot be tank shocked.

As for blocking line of sight, there's nothing special about units locked in close combat any more as far as line of sight is concerned.

Fight for freedom against the undead Emporer!

Last edited by solkan; 09-29-08 at 04:49 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 05:49 PM

SPYDeR13's Flag is: USA

STUPID ORKS!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-08, 09:40 PM

This is one of those things that you need common sense for.

As long as the tank is moving at least past the 2 inch CC range of any of their models it should not be "trapped" by a long line of orcs. Otherwise this is a massive exploit.

You and your buddy should have just agreed to a modification to the rule. The best bet would have been to allow the tank to move as if tank shocking, and move the unit, but not actually count it as a tank shock.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 06:23 AM

solkan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanbrain View Post
This is one of those things that you need common sense for.

As long as the tank is moving at least past the 2 inch CC range of any of their models it should not be "trapped" by a long line of orcs. Otherwise this is a massive exploit.

You and your buddy should have just agreed to a modification to the rule. The best bet would have been to allow the tank to move as if tank shocking, and move the unit, but not actually count it as a tank shock.
Honestly, since it sounds like it was atleast partially the Chaos player's fault for spreading the orks out that far, it's not much of an exploit.

It could be a lot worse. Didn't close combat completely block line of sight in 4th?

Fight for freedom against the undead Emporer!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-08, 08:23 AM

Wolf_Lord_Skoll's Flag is: Australia

Yep, sure did. Now you can see through it, but your opponent will be getting cover saves.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode