Grenades.... - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 01:21 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I'm still not sold on that at all. Why would it say one per phase otherwise? It's just poor wording. Why would it say only one per phase if there is no situation where you would throw a grenade in combat. Or indeed any other phase.

That and I'd still argue that you are throwing the grenade down an exhaust hatch, into an open hatch etc etc.

Last edited by Angel of Blood; 05-02-15 at 01:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 01:51 PM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

Cheers for the input guys!

Guessing it's all coming down to semantics now.

One thing I did discover:

The wording changed from 6th to 7th.

6th: "Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per Shooting phase". Pg61 of 6th BRB.

7th: "Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase". Pg180 of 7th BRB.

I'm not sure if the omission of the word "shooting" is a failed attempt to stop multi-grenade close combat, or just to stop multi-grenade overwatch.

Guessing this'll just be an ongoing discussion for a while. Being a space marine player I know which benefits me more, but as our local gaming group plays the one grenade rule (which is quite effective rather than complete roflstop) I'll just have to remember to discuss it whenever I go anywhere new.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 02:13 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
I'm still not sold on that at all. Why would it say one per phase otherwise? It's just poor wording. Why would it say only one per phase if there is no situation where you would throw a grenade in combat. Or indeed any other phase.
Because you throw them in friendly shooting phases and enemy assault phases for Overwatch?

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 02:14 PM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post

That and I'd still argue that you are throwing the grenade down an exhaust hatch, into an open hatch etc etc.
Youseem surprised about GW's ability to word things properly. Sweeping Advances, Psychic Phase in particular coming to mind.

I don't have 7th edition book to hand, but going by the RAW, the only mention of 'throwing' is in the shooting phase ('throw a grenade in the shooting phase' iirc), while melee makes no mention of throwing whatsoever.

The wording of 6th edition and 7th edition is irrelevant. I can bring out the Inquisitor rulebook and see what that says, or maybe the DND3.5th edition rules for the exact same weight of argument that gives. I can see the intention behind it, but for a game with 7th edition core rules, you use the latest.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-02-15, 02:40 PM

Deathypoo's Flag is: USA

The rules specifically say that melee attacks are "clamped in place" (1st sentence under "Vehicles, Gun Emplacements, and Monstrous Creatures" BRB 180)

In other words, melee grenades are not thrown. Every model can attack with it.

Also, I realize this is very indirect so I risk weakening my point, but I still think this is relevant: look at the paragraph long explanations under every single grenade type. Every shooting description specifies that a single model replaces their attack with the grenade, and none of the melee descriptions make any such statement.
post #16 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 07:18 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

So just to update on this one. As per the FAQ.

No. You may only use one grenade in the assault phase per unit. One model may use a grenade, that's it. No 10 krak grenades etc.
post #17 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-16, 07:27 PM

Rush Darling's Flag is: United Kingdom

Finally.
post #18 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-05-16, 02:41 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

That just made melta bombs on squad sergeants more important.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #19 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-06-16, 08:08 AM

R_Squared's Flag is: England

....and nerfed the ever living out of tankbustas.

Finally GW have stepped upto the plate to curb the tyranny of the orks.
post #20 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-09-16, 07:31 PM

ArkInRev's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Squared View Post
and nerfed the ever living out of tankbustas.
The reason I don't consider this a nerf to anyone, is that I've been playing 1 grenade in the assault the entire time.

I've also seen on a lot of forums how "all models getting [insert special grenade] is stupid and useless now" Ignoring my above statement that I think it's been that way all of 7th edition: It's still nice to have more than one model that can plant the melta bomb or toss the krak grenade. I'd rather throw 1 haywire grenade or plant one melta bomb as long as something is alive in the unit, rather than have to protect the ball carrier. Of course points are a consideration, but just throwing that counter point at it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode