Variable Strategy Ratings? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-07, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Default Variable Strategy Ratings?

If you were fielding a force with two detachments, and those two detachments were from separate armies with different Strategy Ratings, how would you work that situation out?

Would you make all strategy rolls using the lowest of the two ratings, or would you have each detachment roll separately? Or something else?

-----

As a secondary question, are there any rules against fielding a two-detachment force made up of separate armies? The rulebook says it's fine to field two (or more detachments), but doesn't really say whether it's okay if they're from separate armies. I assume it is (and anything goes, with permission, in friendly games, obviously), but just asking out of interest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-07, 03:32 AM

first of all, i believe in 2 ways for detachments.
A.) They are all from the same Codex (or army for inducting)
or
B.) All armies are either Forces of Order or Disorder or Tyranids. (all other races are able to be communicated with, not the nids.) ex. no nid's going with IG or Dark Eldar going with Witch Hunters, it makes no sence, but like you said in friendly anything counts.

now. if we assume A is correct, which i believe it is as B is more of the fun way of doing things, then you mearly treat it as normal, ignoring inducted troops' strategy rating.

If we assume B is correct, then it depends upon the preferances of the players. They may either believe that
A.) The higher strategy rating army is coordinating the attack/defence/whatever and thusly use their rating.
or
B.) The more disorganised army makes planning and all other desk work harder for the more organised army. Thusly you would use the lowerr of the ratings.

The best way to do this is probably to dice off at the begining of the game 4-6=Choise A for either both armies or one (players' preferance)
1-3=Choise B for either both armies or one (players' preferance)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-07, 03:54 AM
Hespithe's Flag is: USA

As a gesture of good sportsmanship, I would make sure that my opponent knew of the situation beforehand. And as a return gesture, I would ask you to use whichever was the higher of the two.

It's all in fun, and if contemplating how such numbers would come about... would you use the rating of a guardsmen, or of the guardsmen commander? Then, in like mind, would you use the rating of an officer with minimal combat expertise, or that of an experienced commander? Personally, I would expect to use the higher of the two, but I would leave it to my opponent to decide if I felt anything less than surety of conscience.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-07, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmarine
ex. no nid's going with IG or Dark Eldar going with Witch Hunters, it makes no sence,
What about my own favourite army, the Genestealer Cult? An all-Genestealer Tyranid force coupled with IG/Traitors would mimic that, and it would make perfect sense in terms of fluff.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-07, 12:28 PM