Why don't GW use d10s - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 06:10 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriouce View Post
I think they did use D12 atleast back in 2nd ed. I would like this to came back as I, like you, think it would be more balanced.
Yes, they did. Also used d4, d8, d10 and of course d6. Course, back then certain weapons could cause more than one wound, like a Heavy Bolter hit did d4 wounds and a Lascannon did d10 wounds.

Why did they change it? IMO, it was part of the 'dumbing down' process to target a younger audience.

Don "MONDO"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-17-14, 06:12 PM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

'Dumbing down' hehe. I guess you're right,

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 08:10 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_mondo View Post
Yes, they did. Also used d4, d8, d10 and of course d6. Course, back then certain weapons could cause more than one wound, like a Heavy Bolter hit did d4 wounds and a Lascannon did d10 wounds.

Why did they change it? IMO, it was part of the 'dumbing down' process to target a younger audience.
Totally agree on that. In fact i recall that until 3rd edition i couldn't really appreciate the game (i was too young and stupid. kids are stupid) On this regard i can say they did a good job on attracting more kids in the game, (and also in shortening the average game lenght and bringing more minis on the table) but also i think GW dumbed it down a bit too much. It wouldn't had hurt the game to keep d10 AND d6, just for variety's sake...

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 11:03 AM

I don't understand how inrtoducing a D10 would balance the game, yes it would allow you to tweak stats to a finer degree of detail but at the end of the day balancing up an army is generally done when a new codex comes out anyway (or at least attempted to) by changing points values a stats, just having a finer detail of that wouldn't make it any more balanced. Plus I don't know many places where you can buy such a large amount of D10s that would be necessary to play the game

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 11:18 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

To swap to d10 they would have to restat everything. One of the reasons I don't see it happening.

You can get lots of d10s with the same ease of getting d6s.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 11:43 AM

Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
I don't understand how inrtoducing a D10 would balance the game, yes it would allow you to tweak stats to a finer degree of detail but at the end of the day balancing up an army is generally done when a new codex comes out anyway (or at least attempted to) by changing points values a stats, just having a finer detail of that wouldn't make it any more balanced. Plus I don't know many places where you can buy such a large amount of D10s that would be necessary to play the game

Balance ain't the word I was after. But as you wrote about the details of the game and stats between armies would be possible which would make te game more interesting in my opinion. Yes they would need to rewrite everything but then again I sometimes wish that GW could take the time to write a rulebook and codexes that could stand the test of time. Not a new edition every second year.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 12:03 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

With the last two editions as example, I think they are going to just churn out new stuff as fast as possible. New stuff sells new models, balance is secondary.

They seem to be ting to tone the power creep down some but it just makes the unbalanced bits even more so.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 03:07 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
With the last two editions as example, I think they are going to just churn out new stuff as fast as possible. New stuff sells new models, balance is secondary...
I think you're right on here.

I would also contend that a D20 system is the best way to go. It's a lot easier to break statistics checks down even further. With D10's the default mode is a break down in 10% increments. With a D20 the increments are 5%, so there is a much greater opportunity for diversity of unit abilities.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-18-14, 03:59 PM

Samules's Flag is: USA

One of my favorite systems is 2d6 as it is very flexible and is actually oriented towards real probability. Average results are common, really high or really low is very rare. The only problem there is while it's great for RPGs or board games it's terrible for wargames.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-19-14, 07:39 AM

Archon Grimherald's Flag is: USA

d10 would be nice, but d20 better, and whitewolf uses d10s if im not mistaken? or are they d8 i can never remember. But hell either way it goes all GW is going to do is do whatever it takes to make money. Corporations want money thus why im out of a job my company got more money than the building i worked in was worth so they sold it to a chicken place...why in the name of all that is holy and unholy someone thought my town needed ANOTHER chicken place or place where you can get some sort of chicken dish ( the count will now be at 29 with 8 dedicated to just chicken) but i would like to see a d4 table for stuff rather than a fictional d3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode