Meltabombs - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-15-07, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Cadian81st's Flag is: USA

Actually, the total is 148 points, with deepstrike thrown in, so they can get to the tanks faster. And I figure if they can kill even one, they earn their point total back 1-1/2 times, maybe twice, depending on what their target is and how tricked out it is, so it seems like a pretty good investment for me. I acknowledge that they are a suicide squad, there to grav chute in, kill as much armor as possible, and then die. I just think it's nice having all that anti-armor in one package.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, have you noticed how Daemonhunters stormies cost the same, but are not nearly as good? They only get frags as standard issue, and it costs more to upgrade to a vet sarge. Their profiles are the same, so how is this justified? A bigger armory? :scratch:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 09:29 AM
Ex Mod.

cccp's Flag is: Great Britain

remember, you cannot assualt on the turn you drop. so, the likelyhood is that they will be killed before they get to assualt a tank.

the best way to do this is to have a 6 man DS squad with 2 meltaguns, and a sarge with a plasma pistol. its very cheap, and as you wont probably ever get to use a grenade, more effective.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 10:24 AM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I think the Deamon Hunters storm troopers are worse because its a older codex but you do have a very good point about the armoury.

Not that I really mind the ST's being like that, if that was the biggest problem with the DH codex I would be a very happy man.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 11:34 AM

Thing Is for 148pts(150pts) you could get the following for Kamikaze AT:

5 x Vets: 3 x Melta Guns
(75pts)

5 x Vets: 3 x Melta Guns
(75pts)

I know I'd rather have 6 melta guns that can hit two targets over a single unit with 2 meltas and a few MB's, personal preference at the end of the day.

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, but vets can't deepstrike, nor do frags and kraks come standard. Stormies also get a better save than vets. I understand the point though about deepstriking and being trapped for a turn, so I think I might infiltrate instead. You have to be 12" away from an enemy model, but I cans still move, shoot, and assault. So that way, I can move up six, shoot at some of them w/ my plasma gun and pistol, and my melta, and then assault the next vehicle that's there.

Oh and LongBeard, that's how much my seven man squad w/ infiltrate, MB, meltagun, plasmagun and pistol, and powersword. I took the plasmagun because I figure their BS is slightly better, and their armor is better too, so I can risk it. Plus, it's got more range.

post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeard
I'd generally stay away from Melta bombs, especially on expensive assault squad. Generally you want them tied up In combat where they can't be shot, If you take the risk and go for the MB charge kill It or not your going to be sat In the open with you 200pts+ unit waiting to be shot.
If your playing guard I'd go for deep striking vets with melta guns ftw, whatever deep strikes won't/shouldn't survive so max out on the three specials and add the PP If the points are available.
I use them on a marine assault squad so a bit of difference ... but if you are blowing up a tank with them try and hide behind the tank to avoid the nasty incoming fire (usually a flank attack) and you get to hit the side armor ... oh, did I forget to mention that you better say your prayers to the emperor that you don't roll a 6 on the damage tables after you get that penetrating hit? Especially with guard it is just going to ruin your day if you get caught in the explosion. :shock:

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah. BOOM!!!!

post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-16-07, 01:53 PM
Ex Mod.

cccp's Flag is: Great Britain

for a tank hunting stormtrooper squad use 2 melta rather than a melta and plasma. mixed weapons reduces the squad effectiveness, and the cost is the same.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-07, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

When I was making the squad, I only had one of each in my bitz box, so there you go. Once I buy more SM sprues, I'll model an extra guy, but until then, it's a melta/plasma.

post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-17-07, 08:25 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadian81st
Yeah, but vets can't deepstrike, nor do frags and kraks come standard. Stormies also get a better save than vets. I understand the point though about deepstriking and being trapped for a turn, so I think I might infiltrate instead. You have to be 12" away from an enemy model, but I cans still move, shoot, and assault. So that way, I can move up six, shoot at some of them w/ my plasma gun and pistol, and my melta, and then assault the next vehicle that's there.

Oh and LongBeard, that's how much my seven man squad w/ infiltrate, MB, meltagun, plasmagun and pistol, and powersword. I took the plasmagun because I figure their BS is slightly better, and their armor is better too, so I can risk it. Plus, it's got more range.
Two words. Drop Troops. Yes, Vets can Deep Strike. And they already have Infiltrate thrown in for free. And since I expect them to die anyways, I don't really worry about whether their save is 4+ or 5+.

Don "MONDO"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode