Take Aim order - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-14, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Keen4e's Flag is: Czech Republic

Default Take Aim order

Even though it's most likely what I think it is, I'd really like to hear your opinion on that rule.

In the codex it is claimed, that if the order Take Aim succeeds all units have precision shot rule. What I am not 100% sure of is: whether this means that on 6 to hit, you allocate the wound to whomever you want or whether it means that you can do the allocation as you want. The reason I ask is, that when you read the rule for the sniper rifle or for the characters that any 6 to hit results in a precision shot and since the order already gives that rule... it sounds a bit confusing to me.

I know this is nitpicking and I know most likely you need the 6 on hit to allocate to whomever you want, but since the rule has such a big consequences, I wanted to be sure.

The Emperor protects.

Last edited by Keen4e; 04-29-14 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 10:47 AM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

The precision shot special rule means that any roll of a 6 to hit can be allocated to whoever you want, so the guardsmen still need to hit on a 6 to choose their target.

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 03:07 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

^ bang on. Specifically, pg. 63 BRB (though in this case we are talking about a unit and not a lone Character):

Quote:
If any of your character's shots roll 6 To Hit, these are Precision Shots. Wounds from Precision Shots are allocated against a model (or models) of your choice in the target unit

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 03:47 PM
So be it.

JAMOB's Flag is: USA

I think that RAI is clearly as stated above, but RAW it seems to be that every shot is allocated to whomever the player wants. Why? Because in NTAW's quotation it says that on a roll of 6, the characters shots are precision shots and can therefore be allocated wherever. The take aim command, however, gives those precision shots to all the guardsmen. It's all a bit confusing and I would play it as they suggested, as the RAW are kinda stupid.

Quote:
If you go down to the woods today, be wary
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I agree, but it really needs a FAQ.

The Emperor protects.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 04:44 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

In what way is it confusing. Take Aim=Gives precision shot to all shots coming from guard platoon. It doesn't make them effect as precision shots, it gives the rule Precision Shot to the guard platoon. Therefore, any roll of a 6 from fire rolled by that squad is allocated by the firing player, not the defending player.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
In what way is it confusing. Take Aim=Gives precision shot to all shots coming from guard platoon. It doesn't make them effect as precision shots, it gives the rule Precision Shot to the guard platoon. Therefore, any roll of a 6 from fire rolled by that squad is allocated by the firing player, not the defending player.
The confusion comes from the fact that there are supposedly two things: precision shot as a rule stating that characters and snipers have the precision shot as a result of throwing a 6 when aiming and the precision shot as a rule for wound allocation. Those two are different things yet have the same name hence the confusion.
I agree that when referencing to "precision shot rule", they reference most likely the first one, but there still remains this ambiguity I'd like to be precised in a FAQ.

The Emperor protects.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-14, 06:39 PM

May 24th you'll probably see a USR that describes Precision Shot, so it will probably be all good then
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-14, 01:23 AM

It's still clear on pg 63, MRB 6.0 where there's a "Precision Shots" rule. It's just a squad that now has it, rather than just a character. Just like Snipers do now. I'm still not sure where any confusion is
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-14, 02:50 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Every 6 you roll gets allocated where you want, the way I see it. Just like my sniper scouts when they are firing.

Consider that in every instance where Precision Shots are mentioned, 6's allow you the ability to select what model specifically is taking the armour save as opposed to following standard wound allocation procedures.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 05-01-14 at 03:29 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode