Raven Guard Chapter Tactics and Allies - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-14, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Shadow's Fury's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Raven Guard Chapter Tactics and Allies

Hey up guys!

Ok, something that cropped up after me and a mate started writing up a double's list. He is Dark angels, while I'm going raven guard.

Now, the second chapter tactic for raven guard states that:
"Winged Deliverance: Jump infantry models in THIS DETACHMENT may use their jump packs in both the movement and assault phases of the same turn."

Now, if a dark angel character with a jump pack joins a unit of raven guard assault marines with jump packs, does this mean the unit cannot do this?

I read this ruling as saying that since the unit contains a model which is not from this detachment, they cannot use their packs in both phases. This doesn't stop them from moving 6" on foot and then using the pack in the assault phase though, meaning that they will still get the re-roll charge distance and HOW, just that they have lost 6" of movement. I would assume however that the assault squad would still be able to re-roll their HOW to-wound rolls, but not the DA character.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-14, 12:41 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow's Fury View Post
Now, if a dark angel character with a jump pack joins a unit of raven guard assault marines with jump packs, does this mean the unit cannot do this?

I read this ruling as saying that since the unit contains a model which is not from this detachment, they cannot use their packs in both phases. This doesn't stop them from moving 6" on foot and then using the pack in the assault phase though, meaning that they will still get the re-roll charge distance and HOW, just that they have lost 6" of movement. I would assume however that the assault squad would still be able to re-roll their HOW to-wound rolls, but not the DA character.
Bit of a tricky one. There is nothing to say the DA character nullifies the RG chapter tactics for the RG models in the unit; he just cannot use it with them.
As a result, the RG models would still get the re-roll on the charge, but the DA IC wouldn't. Roll separately for each, I guess. This might mean the IC ends up being out of coherency during charge, which would have other implications (I am not sure on this, don't have the BRB with me...You may have to charge the distance of the slowest model, can't remember...).
As for re-rolling wounds - yes, the RG models within the unit have chapter tactics.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-14, 08:56 PM

actually the unit must still charge at the lowest pace, the easier way to work around that issue is to move the DA character 6'' in movement phase, useing a tail of JPs to keep him in coherence, then you can use the JP in the assault phase with the entire unit.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-14, 10:56 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

"This Detachment" would mean what ever the detachment your Raven Guard are: Primary or Allied. So basically an allied in DA (or vice versa) wouldn't get the rule because he's not in the same detachment and doesn't have the Chapter Tactics: Raven Guard rule to do it.

I'd say that because the DA model can't do it you'd be stuck going at the speed of the slowest model and not re-rolling.

That's just my reading of it though.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-14, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys for the help!
Yeah, I'm leaning more towards the assault squad needing to move 6" in the movement and then use their Packs in the assault phase if they wanted to get both them and the chaplain the re-rolling charge distance and HOW.

The rule reads that the Raven guard in this detachment can use it in both the movement and assault, not any model that has a jump pack in your army.

I was just hoping I was wrong :D Oh well, just means he's either going to have to get some assault marines himself or mine are going a bit slower on the turn I charge...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-14, 02:29 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Or take a better/different IC.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-14, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

He wanted to trial a mace (the nasty str+3 AP3 one) wielding DA Interrogator chaplain, but had him with a jump pack instead of in terminator armour or on a bike. Not sure why he went pack though, he hasn't got any assault marines himself, hence why we were looking at teaming the chaplain with my AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode