Spore Mine Clusters - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Default Spore Mine Clusters

So I've seen this being debated elsewhere and was surprised to not find anything about it here. So when biovores scatter and and there are no models under the first of the template, you place D3 spore mines in the template and they become a spore mine cluster for the rest of the game (or until they all explode).

The debate is if you have a unit of more than 1 biovore, do you get D3 spore mines, or D3 per biovore?

The proponents of just D3 biovores say that because it is a barrage weapon, it is resolved as a single shot, so the spore burst rule only comes into play once.

However, the proponents of D3 per biovore counter that the barrage rules explain how to resolve multiple shots at once, not how to combine them in to one shot.

Additionally, without getting D3 spore mines,there would be no reason for the Floating Death rule for spore mine clusters to specify the S10 cap, as there would be on other way to get enough spore mines in a unit to exceed that cap.

The final defense for D3 per biovore is the simple fact that it doesn't make sense that 1 biovore makes just as many spores as 3 would.

So what's the consensus? I tend to lean toward the D3 per biovore, but I'm sure I'm biased because I've loved biovores since their inception.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 07:43 AM

khrone forever's Flag is: United Kingdom

Location: lived on tyran, moved to occulus, then to macragge.DAMN THE TYRANIDS!!! (near derby)

I would assume that it is D3 per biovore, but cant really back it up

40Kprayers and benedictions

see my guard army here

see my Empire army
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 03:04 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

As it currently stands RAW if you are firing a unit of Biovores, sporemines are only placed under the first blast template if it misses. The remaining templates are then placed as normal using the barrage rules.

The rule is pretty clear (from Tyranid codex), I highlighted the relevant portion of the rule:
Quote:
If, when the final position of the first blast marker in the barrage is determined, there are no models (friend or foe) under it, place D3 Spore Mine models anywhere under the blast marker so that they are in unit coherency and not within impassable terrain or 1" of an enemy model (any that cannot be placed are lost). These act as a Spore Mine Cluster for the rest of the game.
This could be FAQ'd, but I wouldn't count on it. If you want to use Biovores and get a chance to place multiple mines per turn they need to be in seperate units.

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

Last edited by iamtheeviltwin; 02-12-14 at 03:07 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 05:28 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I have to agree with Evil Twin. It doesn't say "Cease the Bombardment", it just is an additional effect if the first one fails.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
As it currently stands RAW if you are firing a unit of Biovores, sporemines are only placed under the first blast template if it misses. The remaining templates are then placed as normal using the barrage rules.

The rule is pretty clear (from Tyranid codex), I highlighted the relevant portion of the rule:
Yes, That's really the point of contention though. the thing is you have 3 weapons firing, each with that rule, so one could argue (and I will) that the placement of the first blast triggers the placement of spore mines from all three weapons.

The closest analogy I can think of is the interceptor rule. The arrival of a unit triggers the interceptor rule on each model that has the rule. In this case, the placement of the first blast triggers the placing of spore mines from each weapon with the rule.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 06:02 PM

iamtheeviltwin's Flag is: USA

You do not have 3 weapons firing, when the unit fires you have a single weapon firing with the Barrage(x) special rule where (x) is the number of models firing.

This is covered in the BRB (pg. 34) key sentence highlighted:
Quote:
Multiple Barrages
If a unit fires more than one shot with the Barrage special rule, the fire together, as follows:
(Rules covering how to place multiple templates)
*Once the first marker is placed, roll a scatter dice for each other Barrage weapon shot fired by the unit...
(more rules)
The rule in the Tyranid codex explicitly states to only place spore mines under the First Blast Template...which seems to indicate this is the way they want the rules to work and is why I doubt it will be FAQ'd

Servants of the Laughing God (Harlequin Themed Eldar Army)
First Eastern Mirage Corps (C:SM)
I am the Evil Project Log (All my work since restarting the hobby)
The Crusade of Morr (WFB Empire Battle Reports)
Dem Bones (Dice Rolling Program)

Last edited by iamtheeviltwin; 02-12-14 at 06:05 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheeviltwin View Post
You do not have 3 weapons firing, when the unit fires you have a single weapon firing with the Barrage(x) special rule where (x) is the number of models firing.
You're just making stuff up now. The BRB does not say that it becomes one shot, it says they fire together. This is because under normal circumstances blast weapons are resolved one at a time. It is still 3 shots, and says as much in the barrage rules.
Quote:
once the first marker is placed! roll a scatter dice for each other barrage weapon shot fired by the unit.
I can see your argument, but I still disagree. If there are 3 shots fired, each triggers on the placement of the first blast marker. (Technically speaking, this would also mean that you'd still place the 2nd and 3rd blast anyway, but that's getting a bit greedy.)

Anyway, I do think that the biovores need to be FAQed to clarify, however in true GW fashion, they probably never will.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 06:35 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

No, you still place the 2nd and 3rd blast, as indicated by the arrow from the first blast. A hit means it touches at some point, but goes however you wish otherwise. Three blast weapons is actually very bad sometimes. The Tau hate it. The spore mine cluster rule just means you deploy d3 spore mines if you miss completely with the first blast, then proceed to place the 2nd and/or 3rd blast normally.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode