Psychic shriek leadership confusion. - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-14, 04:35 PM
Senior Member
 
HiveMinder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 443
Reputation: 5
Default

We can all agree that there is no definitive ruling on this, so the next best thing is to think about what is happening logically. (I know, logic and GW is like oil and water.)

From a purely fluff standpoint, a Ld test employs the highest Ld in the unit to simulate the unit leader using his superior resolve to dissuade his men from running when they otherwise might. In this case, the me are putting their faith in their leader, so only his (higher) Ld value matters.

However, in a psychic scream attack, the psyker is assaulting the minds of the individuals in a unit. Regardless of the resolve of the units leader, each man in the unit is under mental attack, and each has his own breaking point, represented by that model's Ld value.

This is why, without a solid rule to quote, I would play it as majority Ld. In the case of psychic scream, Ld is being used in a very different context than that of a Ld test.

HiveMinder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-14, 04:42 PM
Token Trans Mod
 
Zion's Avatar
Zion's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: On the internet.
Posts: 6,385
Reputation: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravner298 View Post
I can't think of any circumstance where majority ld is used over highest. If majority was used, why would you want a champion model in your squads?
It's used when you have weapons that wound on Leadership values.
Zion is offline  
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-14, 06:48 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

The obligatory, GW-FAQ-worthy question...

Can Psychic Shriek damage a squad of 18 or more Ork Boyz?

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
 
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-14, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Creon's Avatar
Creon's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,166
Reputation: 16
Default

I don't see why not. There is no listing of it not working against "Fearless". I think that the wording of the Ork rules comes into play. I THINK if they're 10 or more, their LD is 10, and 11 or more they add fearless. But it may be worded differently.
Creon is offline  
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-14, 10:31 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
I don't see why not. There is no listing of it not working against "Fearless". I think that the wording of the Ork rules comes into play. I THINK if they're 10 or more, their LD is 10, and 11 or more they add fearless. But it may be worded differently.
'Because of this, Ork mobs may always choose to substitute the number of Orks in their mob for their current Leadership value. If an Ork mob numbers 11 or more models, it has the Fearless special rule.'

*reads*

*reads again*

So... Can you choose to substitute the 2 Orks you have left in the squad for 7 as that is their normal leadership value? Seems like the wording makes that go both ways (hypothetically, you'd never do it in a game).

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-18-14, 11:03 PM
Entropy Fetishist
 
Mossy Toes's Avatar
Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eä
Posts: 4,249
Reputation: 117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
'Because of this, Ork mobs may always choose to substitute the number of Orks in their mob for their current Leadership value. If an Ork mob numbers 11 or more models, it has the Fearless special rule.'

*reads*

*reads again*

So... Can you choose to substitute the 2 Orks you have left in the squad for 7 as that is their normal leadership value? Seems like the wording makes that go both ways (hypothetically, you'd never do it in a game).
Unless you want to run away so you can, say, shoot at the enemy squad during your next shooting phase.

The codex doesn't cap the max Ld value, but the rulebook does set a hard cap on any categories at 10. I would be inclined to say that, no, Ork Boys can only get up to Ld 10, not get higher than the maximum Ld possible. Though if suffering from Ld penalties like a IG psyker battle squad's Weaken Resolve power... perhaps the excess boys could counter-balance such penalties, then. Aiaiai.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-18-14 at 11:58 PM.
Mossy Toes is offline  
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Creon's Avatar
Creon's Flag is: USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 4,166
Reputation: 16
Default

ork FAQ, pg. 3.

"Can a wierdboy's Leadership be increased to more than 10 by the mob rule? No, It can be increased, but only up to a Maximum of 10"

Sounds like Mob Rule caps at 10, then.
Creon is offline  
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 03:42 PM
Rattlehead
 
MidnightSun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Sheoth
Posts: 6,741
Reputation: 83
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Unless you want to run away so you can, say, shoot at the enemy squad during your next shooting phase.

The codex doesn't cap the max Ld value, but the rulebook does set a hard cap on any categories at 10. I would be inclined to say that, no, Ork Boys can only get up to Ld 10, not get higher than the maximum Ld possible. Though if suffering from Ld penalties like a IG psyker battle squad's Weaken Resolve power... perhaps the excess boys could counter-balance such penalties, then. Aiaiai.
I'd say that the squad counts as Ld10 for all game terms - I was looking into the Mob Rule a week or two ago to check for whether Fearless only applied if you chose to use your squad size as your leadership (and therefore you could choose to Go to Ground or fall back and such in the enemy turn, then become Fearless in your own turn to negate the effects, but the Fearless part of Mob Rule isn't in the same sentence and is therefore not affected by the word 'may'.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
MidnightSun is offline  
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-19-14, 04:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Moriouce's Avatar
Moriouce's Flag is: Sweden
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Borås
Posts: 2,195
Reputation: 63
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiveMinder View Post
We can all agree that there is no definitive ruling on this, so the next best thing is to think about what is happening logically. (I know, logic and GW is like oil and water.)



From a purely fluff standpoint, a Ld test employs the highest Ld in the unit to simulate the unit leader using his superior resolve to dissuade his men from running when they otherwise might. In this case, the me are putting their faith in their leader, so only his (higher) Ld value matters.



However, in a psychic scream attack, the psyker is assaulting the minds of the individuals in a unit. Regardless of the resolve of the units leader, each man in the unit is under mental attack, and each has his own breaking point, represented by that model's Ld value.



This is why, without a solid rule to quote, I would play it as majority Ld. In the case of psychic scream, Ld is being used in a very different context than that of a Ld test.

But then the unit still have greater resolve cause that heroic veteran amongst them. As I see it a squad leader does not take Ld tests for the group. The whole squad becomes more diciplined with a senior that guides them.

Though I do know there is somewhere in the BRB states. "May choose to use characters Ld when testing". Just can't remember in what context, but shows that you don't allways use the highest Ld.

Good to be green

Barks Dakka Ladz: W3-D2-L3
Altansar Eldar: W3-D0-L2

Moriouce is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome