Psychic shriek leadership confusion. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 05:40 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

You need to check on Target Leadership. The only other similar comparison I have is the Necron LD using flamer, but since that's closer to replacing a T value with the LD value, it's always gone on Majority for me there. It USED to be "make a LD check on 3d6, and subract the amount you failed by in wounds" But that was the way the Doom of Malantai was written, pre this edition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 06:16 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

I dunno, any time a 'targets leadership' is determined it's based on the highest value in the unit. I don't see why this would be any different? Leadership test versus compairing leadership value seems to be splitting hairs a little.
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravner298 View Post
I dunno, any time a 'targets leadership' is determined it's based on the highest value in the unit. I don't see why this would be any different? Leadership test versus compairing leadership value seems to be splitting hairs a little.
That is your preconceived notions about Ld scores talking. Anytime the BRB says to use the highest Ld in a unit, it is always within the context of taking a Ld test.

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 06:59 PM

Ravner298's Flag is: USA

Because I can't think of a single situation where you sit there and compare each models ld value in a squad for any reason?

But believe me, I see your point and how grey the wording is.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 07:38 PM

It's more of using the leadership in a "To Wound" situation. Which would lead to thinking it might be "Majority Stat" determination. I'll check the 'Nid version of the power when I get home.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 09:27 PM

The nids version reads the same way except its a 6" nova, and it's 2D6+2 and subtract the units Ld.

Last edited by HiveMinder; 02-12-14 at 09:41 PM.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 07:06 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

The Slaanesh Nova is 12" and just 2D6 - the unit's LD.

I'm inclined toward the highest Leadership available; it's the way LD-related things pretty much always act (yes, there is a Warlord Trait that switches the tables, but whatever). If you want, rationalize it like the fact that you use the best possible Deny The Witch! save you have available--in a similar way to a psyker protecting the unit as a whole, the boldest and bravest members of the unit can rally it against the psychic onslaught that they're suffering. Yes, it's shoddy logic, but I'm not trying to conclusively prove anything. Indeed, the game as as a whole simply does not have a RAW answer.

I'm just saying that in every FLGS I've played at and among friends, we've always, without question, defaulted to "highest LD available."

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Agreed ,Mossy. We have no other basis to go on than the traditional Ld test.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 02:28 AM

in terms of which leadership is used, doesn't it depend on the target?

as a witchfire power the target is the unit, unless a precision shot is made. The nova shots target the unit. Unit leadership tests are made against highest leadership (due to arguments already made more elegantly then I would make). I would be willing to give a lower Ld value if a precision shot was made however (although wounds would still come from the unit as per the wording of the power
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-14-14, 11:55 AM

Leadership is used for the 'nid power, but it is not a test in any way. the wording is"Roll 2d6+2 and subtract their Leadership." It's not a Leadership test, so that section of page 7 isn't used. Neither is it a characteristic test, so that section isn't used. Nor is it a to wound test, so "majority" isn't used. I still maintain it's Majority, but there's no real support either way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode