Chapter relics stacking , is it a no no - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

arlins's Flag is: England

Default Chapter relics stacking , is it a no no

So with the new SM codex we have chapter relics and a lot of chatter on various forums about stacking
relics ( shield eternal + burning blade etc )

Nothing in the character stats refutes this , they merely state you can take ITEMS from the relics list

so all good for the moment , yes well actually no

pg 159 chapter relics and the important line " only one of each chapter relic can be taken per army ( still all good ,but its the next bit that's the bite ) A MODEL CAN REPLACE ONE weapon with ONE of the following "

so no multiples , its pretty clear you can only take one relic by replacing a weapon for it .

also your losing a weapon for the shield or the armour ( losing an attack if your talking power weapon /pistol combo .

So im guilty of this , had a capt with shield and teeth of terra , will now inform my last opponent of my fubar and let him know I messed up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 04:10 PM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlins View Post
also your losing a weapon for the shield or the armour ( losing an attack if your talking power weapon /pistol combo .

So im guilty of this , had a capt with shield and teeth of terra , will now inform my last opponent of my fubar and let him know I messed up
Well the Armour doesn't replace a weapon (page 159). Other then that as long as you didn't try to use your pistol I don't see an issue.

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Joka View Post
Well the Armour doesn't replace a weapon (page 159). Other then that as long as you didn't try to use your pistol I don't see an issue.
absolutely correct ( fdamn small print )

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 04:56 PM

SwedeMarine's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:

pg 159 chapter relics and the important line " only one of each chapter relic can be taken per army ( still all good ,but its the next bit that's the bite ) A MODEL CAN REPLACE ONE weapon with ONE of the following "

so no multiples , its pretty clear you can only take one relic by replacing a weapon for it .

I'm not so sure I read that in the same way as you. Has the FAQ cleared it up?

Check out my Sentinels of Terra/ CSM Plog
Sentinels of Terra/Rot Bringers CSM PLOG
W:9 D:2 L:5

Last edited by SwedeMarine; 10-23-13 at 04:58 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeMarine View Post
I'm not so sure I read that in the same way as you. Has the FAQ cleared it up?
ha ha ha , sorry mate GW tend to be slow at such things as FAQ ( no its not been faq,d yet ) it really boils down to interpretation
to me One weapon with One of the following means just that one choice , not multiples
but it can also be read as if you take armour , you still have a weapon to swap and thus could have armour + weapon from relics .

Im really just interested in what the community feels is the right interpretation as GW tend to have these ambiguous rules
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 06:06 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:

I read this as a less specific version of 'The Space Marine Sergeant may replace his Bolt Pistol and/or Chainsword with one of the following:' - the only reason the wording's different is that you might not be replacing a Chainsword, you could be replacing a Force Weapon or Crozius Arcanum.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 06:45 PM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
A MODEL CAN REPLACE ONE weapon with ONE of the following
Meaning you can't take more Relics than the number of weapons that are stock on a model with access to this list.

ie. exchanging a Captain's Chainsword for the Teeth of Terra and his Bolt Pistol for the Shield Eternal.

EDIT: first time I've checked out the Teeth of Terra more seriously, what a damn shame Strikedown doesn't effect MCs. I was so excited...

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Last edited by ntaw; 10-23-13 at 06:49 PM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 10:07 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

I've always been under the assumption that you can take as many relics as weapons on your person, where weapon equals an item held in a hand. For instance, a Daemon Prince from CSM can take the Black Mace or the Burning Brand, but not both because Daemon Princes only have a single CCW. A Space Marine Captain, however, can replace the BP and the CCW with two different relics, because each time you are replacing ONE weapon with ONE relic.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-23-13, 10:12 PM

Dakingofchaos's Flag is: United Kingdom

I posted the same question about the Chaos artefacts and still got no confirmation - it depends on who you play against and what mood their in - I think if a person wants to put all their eggs in one basket let them do it! Then laugh at them when you lascannon the basket to death

'If you fail to prepare then you'd better prepare to fail'
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-13, 09:12 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Yeah. This has been debated since Chaos Marines came out. The wording is the same for them and Eldar and probably any army with relics. And none have had it FAQ'd. I read it that a character can only make one exchange. Just how important/powerful is this guy that he would be given multiple relics to carry to battle? I see it that if you could exchange more than once, the wording would be more like this.

"A model can replace ANY weapon(s) with ONE of the following."
But I know this is debated still. Just how I see it.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode