Grey knights drive me bonkers - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Irn Bru 32!

Nacho libre's Flag is: Scotland

Default Grey knights drive me bonkers

Hello everyone I've started this thread to see if anyone feels the same way about grey knights as me. I'm not here to start a rant about how grey knights are cheese or over powered.

Every time I have a game with my mate he always mentions rules that I've never heard of. I'm not saying that he is making them up its just that they sound a little off.

If anyone agrees or disagrees be happy to post a reply

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:02 PM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

Well what are the rules?

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Irn Bru 32!

Can't quite remember but it is things like insta-kill weapons or using 5-6 psychic per model every turn. I'm having a game with him tomorrow so I shall post more then

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:11 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

What are the rules he quotes to you?

To be fair, sometimes I forget or misquote rules. Not on purpose. Sometimes my opponent calls me out and we check and I'm like "Oh hey, I'm sorry!" and we continue. There are instances of honest mistakes. Although, if he's pulling rules out every time you play, I would say I'd be suspicious, but you might just not play against Grey Knights enough to remember the rules. No offence, as I do the same against armies I don't often face.

Edit: So as per Brotherhood of Psykers, each squad/vehicle can cast one power as if they were just one psyker with Mastery Level 1. Exceptions include Brotherhood Champions, Brother Captains, Grand Masters, Nemesis Dreadknights and Librarians, but they all have listed Mastery Levels which state how many powers they can cast. Each can cast the powers they are listed as having, with the exception of Librarians which can either have powers chosen from the Codex or randomly generated from the BRB.

As for insta-kill weapons, all Grey Knights are armed with Force Weapons, so provided he expends the warp charge to activate them. They'll cause instant death on non-Eternal Warrior models they wound. For shooting, it comes to your toughness vs the weapon's strength as per usual.

So instant death doesn't raise any alarm bells, but 6 powers per model per turn (even discounting the fact that it is obviously a hyperbole) is concerning.

My contribution to the Renegades saga. Check it out

My growing IIIrd legion stuff:

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Also my 30k tacticas, for those of you interested:

Crusade Army List tactica - Individual Legion tactica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.

Last edited by Deus Mortis; 10-17-13 at 05:20 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Irn Bru 32!

I have a game at least once a week with him and if I do call out any rules he usually just bombards me with accusations of being a bad loser. So I tend just to let him carry on.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 06:05 PM

Location: In a cell for revealing sensitive information regarding the Inquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho libre View Post
I have a game at least once a week with him and if I do call out any rules he usually just bombards me with accusations of being a bad loser. So I tend just to let him carry on.
So your 'mate' sounds like a bit of a dick. Key thing is to hold your ground. Ask him kindly to show you the rules he is referencing. If he's right let him be so, but if he won't show you, then don't let him force you to play with his made up rules because that's not fair or fun for you. Just kindly refuse to continue until he shows you the rules.

If you don't, he'll just always bombard you when he wants his way, knowing you'll fold and then you end up thinking Grey Knights are basically just a legion of mastery level 6 psykers with 2+/2++ re-rollable.

17th Millenial (Homebrew Fluff) - "Children of the Emperor, death to his foes!" (Project Log)

Quote:
And for two fucking grand, I could buy enough rum and hookers to 'artistically' recreate the better part of Pirates of the Caribbean.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Irn Bru 32!

Thanks deus mortis I will do this next time. It's just I'm not big on starting rule debates with people as I usually just give up
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 07:20 PM

See, but it's not debate. You aren't trying to use your argument to beat his. It's just "Hey buddy, do you mind showing me that in the codex/rulebook?" If he gets confrontational and refuses, probably means he's bull-shitting you. As long as you keep calm and just ask to be show the rules, as is your right, it's just him throwing a tantrum. If he says he doesn't know where to find it, say you'll wait for him to try and find it. Stay calm, be polite and (if your friend ain't a dick) you should get the issue resolved in seconds.

Quote:
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 07:27 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

I feel like this vs my mate's GK army, he is usually spot on with his rules though. 95% of teh time if i call him on something it's legit. I don't see why your mate would be annoyed by this as it makes both of you more familiar with rules and better players in the long run.

Another thing you could do is talk about about his units at the end of the match and do some research of your own - that way you can get an idea of what you're talking about if you need to challenge him.

In my gaming group we usually post up on facebook anything we think we fucked up during our recent games so we can discuss it, to make sure we get it right for next game.

(We let centurions fire overwatch last game - it's pretty OP )

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-17-13, 07:37 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho libre View Post
Can't quite remember but it is things like insta-kill weapons or using 5-6 psychic per model every turn
Insta-kill on every model is a valid Grey Knight rule. Using 5-6 Psychic Powers per model is well out; one psychic power per unit per turn, with the exception of some HQs who are Mastery Level 2.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode