Sky landing platform question? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

grim reaper's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Sky landing platform question?

Does my sky landing pad need to be placed on the legs?
My reasoning being, I normally run 2 units of Ravenwing knights. I thought, at first, that if they moved in the scout phase, that that counts as moving for the “Jink” save.
“IT DOES NOT”
So now I want to move forward safely, to bring down my terminators in turn 1, (Using teleport homers on bikes, not skyshield, as that will be in shielded) and have the back up of the bikes. The sky landing pad will give a 4+ inv sav, so if it was say, on the deck, my bikes can scout on to it, to gain a 4+ inv, and due to “skilled rider” do not need to take a difficult terrain test. So deploy this in my table half, but almost right in the middle of the table, and scout 12” on to it my first turn.

This all falls to pieces if my opponent puts someone near it so I can’t do it, with an infiltrator, so I can’t stay 12” away from them. Or he wins the “scout off” and goes near it.

Could this work or will I be called a rules whore, and modelling for advantage?

Cheers in advance.

"May death come on swift wings for those that choose that path"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 01:56 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

The Scout is a redeploy not a move, that's why there is no jink. So there are no terrain effects. You simply re-deploy them within 6" / 12".

If you set your bikes up 12" from the skyshield that means that an enemy infiltrator cannot set up within 18" of you so you can still scout forward at least 6" and still be outside of the 12".

The range of your homers is 6" so you will be close enough to the pad to drop in your first termie. The others should be able to deploy with him and them maybe run forward to the other side of the landing pad.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 09-30-13 at 02:05 PM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 02:53 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I believe the Pad needs to be in your deployment zone if it's something you bought with fortification points.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

I think I did not explain myself fully. I want to gain the 4+ inv save on the bikes, before the first turn, so when the only thing I have on the table (2 units of ravenwing knights) get a save vs the enemy big guns. As the 3+ save will fail quickly and mean I have lost.
Bikes can't go up levels, so a landing platform on the deck would allow me to drive onto it, and gain the save.
This is really a "belt & braces" if I get first turn, but loose it to initiative roll.
I drop in a drop pod & 2x ten man units of terms on turn one. So bikes need to survive a full turn of shooting from my opponent.

Also on a design note, who designs a platform that troops & transports can't get off quickly? How do they get down? jump?

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
I believe the Pad needs to be in your deployment zone if it's something you bought with fortification points.
Nah forts just have to be in your table half, they can be outside your deployment zone if you want.
(Page 120)
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
@ Creon

I believe is says table half, not deployment zone. Not with my rule book but I'm sure I read it so thought about the possibilities.
Damn Ninja's

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim reaper View Post
I think I did not explain myself fully. I want to gain the 4+ inv save on the bikes, before the first turn, so when the only thing I have on the table (2 units of ravenwing knights) get a save vs the enemy big guns. As the 3+ save will fail quickly and mean I have lost.
Bikes can't go up levels, so a landing platform on the deck would allow me to drive onto it, and gain the save.
This is really a "belt & braces" if I get first turn, but loose it to initiative roll.
I drop in a drop pod & 2x ten man units of terms on turn one. So bikes need to survive a full turn of shooting from my opponent.

Also on a design note, who designs a platform that troops & transports can't get off quickly? How do they get down? jump?
The only actual prohibition against bikes is in ruins and buildings, the skysheild is neither so there is really nothing stopping them re-deploying on top of it. To move off it is difficult terrain.
There are ladders that lead down from hatch ways on each leg so you can move on or off that way. It's probably not in the spirit of things to do that with bikes tho'.

You can always ride underneath and there will be plenty of cover saves to be had under there if not totally blocking line of sight in many instances.

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 09-30-13 at 03:11 PM.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 03:19 PM

Yes, there are hatches and ladders. And, nothing says you can't build ramps up and down your landing pad if you want.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 03:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creon View Post
Yes, there are hatches and ladders. And, nothing says you can't build ramps up and down your landing pad if you want.
There kinda is. You really can't change the nature of the model to your own advantage.

Thing is you don't really have to, the rulebook is quite clear that moving off the landing pad is difficult terrain.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-30-13, 03:37 PM

Since the "nature" of the model is "difficult terrain" and someone wanted to build a ramp to make it look better for his bike army, that's not changing the model, it's making it better suited to your army. A ramp leading down from expanded hatchways wouldn't change a thing other then the appearance of the model, which you can always modify if you feel like it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode