Terrify, Close Combat and You - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Default Terrify, Close Combat and You

This is a fairly straightforward question

You have a unit locked in CC with a enemy squad. You cast the malediction Terrify from the BRB onto the enemy unit in CC (as per page 69) they then fail their Morale check. When this happens is the enemy unit who failed a morale check in CC subject to a sweeping advance?

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragewind View Post
Stuff
The book says treat it like you would if the enemy, your, unit had fear.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 04:50 AM Thread Starter
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by locustgate View Post
The book says treat it like you would if the enemy, your, unit had fear.
Yes, but it also forces a moral check, when you fail your morale check in CC you typical fall back and can be caught in a sweeping advance. Normally this happens at the end of combat, in this instance Terrify is cast at the start of the movement phase.

So my question is at the start of the movement phase if you cast terrify on a enemy unit locked in CC with one of your units, who then fails their morale check, what happens? Do you treat it as normal and if they fail you can sweep them?

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 09:53 AM
Rattlehead

I haven't got my rulebook to hand but I think you'd be able to Sweep; if you fail morale in combat you get swept. ATSKNF buggers the whole equation up, but what's new?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 11:57 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Falling back from combat does not in itself generate the opportunity for a sweeping advance, failing the required morale check due to losing combat does.

So my thought would be that the unit simply falls back, with no other actions being performed by the now disengaged enemy, as the falling back unit has not lost the combat.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-13, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Falling back from combat does not in itself generate the opportunity for a sweeping advance, failing the required morale check due to losing combat does.

So my thought would be that the unit simply falls back, with no other actions being performed by the now disengaged enemy, as the falling back unit has not lost the combat.
Thats what I was thinking as well, would the unit engaged get a consolidation move however? As most situations where someone leaves combat you end up with that, but as is obvious this is a unusual circumstance.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-13, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking as well, would the unit engaged get a consolidation move however? As most situations where someone leaves combat you end up with that, but as is obvious this is a unusual circumstance.
Depends when you consider it be be "end of a combat".

My gut feel is that if you restrict Sweeping Advance to the assault phase then you should do same for Consolidation.

The situation of an enemy unit being able to move D6 in your shooting phase, if a blast marker scattered and killed your own blokes in a combat, would be a bit weird.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-13, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Autarch of Heresy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie_Oz View Post
Depends when you consider it be be "end of a combat".

My gut feel is that if you restrict Sweeping Advance to the assault phase then you should do same for Consolidation.

The situation of an enemy unit being able to move D6 in your shooting phase, if a blast marker scattered and killed your own blokes in a combat, would be a bit weird.
Well the spell is cast in your own movement phase, so i wouldn't worry about a blast scattering over them

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-19-13, 12:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well the spell is cast in your own movement phase, so i wouldn't worry about a blast scattering over them
That's not what I am talking about.

The situation of a scattering blast destroying one of the units locked in combat is similar to Terrify "ending a combat" out of the usual phase.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-24-13, 04:23 PM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

Magpie is right, although not for the reason he stated. In order to make a sweeping advance you have to "Win" Combat. As they just run away there isn't really a winner in said combat.

And before you go all "well if they run away I win!" No. The BRB defines winning combat as causing more unsaved wounds then the other side.

As for Consolidation moves, the BRB just says "At the end of combat" Which even if there was no winner combat is still over, so you do get to make a consolidation.

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode