Old Broadsides Vs New Broadsides - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH

Battman's Flag is: Australia

Default Old Broadsides Vs New Broadsides

Was pondering the other day after my slaughter at the hands of the new tau, what the general opinion is of using the old tau broadsides (either the crisis suit varients or the forge world ones) insted of the newer models? Which from what ive heard are dreadnaught sized. The difference in size is quite large. Do the tau players need to update? Or are you happy enough using the old models?

In the terms of true line of sight the old modela can allmost be obscured by a large bush, while the new ones would loom over the top. Is this an advantage not to update? Modeling to advantage?

As a side note is there other units which have been given new models should you use the newist sculpt? Even if you prefer the old?

Personally i dont have much of a proablem with this, do find it a bit advantageous to those who dont update but what can you do?

Da Golden Waaagh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix View Post
Dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka BATORK!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 11:22 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

your looking at it all wrong, its not that the old ones have an advantage its that the new ones have a disadvantage....

its swings and roundabouts, anyone playing the game with half a brain will be looking to use cover to there own advantage no matter what model they need to hide or what size it is.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 05:11 PM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

There is no rule about not being able to use old models. The only thing I can remember is that you have to use the base provided with said models.

That being said, every Tau player I know refuses to upgrade to the new Broadsides because it his harder to hide the bigger models in cover, or put them in ruins. Honestly I think the old Broadsides look like crap, but I will never get to see a new one fielded because all the Tau players I know don't want to pay money to "nerf" their Broadsides.

With way the people I know talk about it, I do feel they are "modeling" for an advantage. But there is nothing I can do. Personally I would prefer that everyone always used the newer models, no matter their size, I know I do. When the new Necron Wraiths came out I upgraded all of mine, despite the fact that they are nearly twice as tall as they where before.

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 05:44 PM

Madden's Flag is: United Kingdom

I don't update my models simply because of cost, why should I shell out a lot of cash for new models when the ones I've got are in one piece and are fine? Does it give an advantage? Maybe but replacing 9 broadsides at the current cost anit going to happen. (I don't play tourneys so it's not a prob for me though check with the organiser if you do).
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-20-13, 08:56 PM
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite

Jacobite's Flag is: New Zealand

I wouldn't call it modelling for advantage at all. I'd call it buying some minis, then the design changes, then the none Tau player decides to be a dick and the Tau player is completely justified in packing up his minis and walking away without a single word.

You want me to go and buy the new kits, sure can I have your credit card then? I'm not paying to replace the kits I have bought assembled and painted. I mean FFS if the opposing player is going to be WAAC, that butthurt over it and that much of a fucking child I'll get a piece of paper and cut out a silhouette of the new ones and whenever they want to take a shot then I'll hold up it behind the older Broadside. I'll also call them a prick to their face and fight them on everything. Their measurements better be perfect, their knowledge of the rules impeccable and if even a single mini of theirs is converted to outside the norms of what a normally assembled mini would be then well they better get out the paper silhouettes as well. Fairs fair. It's those type of people who ruin the game.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 05:31 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
...It's those type of people who ruin the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 05:41 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I agree with Jacobite and Fallen. Somebody forcing you to get new stuff would ruin the game. I know somebody who has the old Terminators(on smaller bases). Sure, they are harder to see but have trouble seeing themselves. Plus, those smaller bases reduce their threat range. There is nothing wrong with using old models for whatever reason you don't want/can't update. That said, it would be dickish to jump on an updated army bandwagon and hunt down the "classic" models because they can give you an advantage.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

Last edited by Archon Dan; 05-21-13 at 02:21 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-13, 06:36 AM
For Da Boss

dirty-dog-'s Flag is: New Zealand

in terms of the termi's, i dont mind the old smaller ones, aslong as they are based on 40mm bases, as this does make a difference in combat (with me playing orks)

with 40mm bases i can get at least 2 orks into combat, whereas the old 25mm ones i can only get one.

lets say there is a squad of 5 termis, vs 30 orks, on 25mm base i could fit maybe 6 into base combat (theoretically) whereas with with 40mm i could fit 12. having 12 in base contact means more will be within the 2" to be able to fight. and when ork boys charge at 4attacks each, you could imagine the difference it can make.

Quote:
The only thing I can remember is that you have to use the base provided with Current models.

omgitsduane's # 1 Fan

Russian Winter Guard Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode