Decorated Bases and Line of Sight. - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 08:47 AM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

I'd say the most sensible approach would be to look for any rules that state cover can be modelled onto a mini, as far as I am aware there are none so it wouldn't and couldn't count as cover.

You're looking too deeply into the rules for something that simply isn't there, your mini is what it is, no amount of sticking stuff to a base is going to give you any sort of cover save because there are no rules for cover saves gained through glueing stuff to a miniature.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-29-13, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Relaxed Gamer

Azwaz's Flag is: Wales

I'm just genuinely surprised this doesnt come up more often.Ok, lets think of a reasonable circumstance this could influence. someone from a high vantage point wants to kill some banner carrying space marine who is just about visible around the corner of a building or through a window. only the banner is visible but they shooting side thinks that the space marines head or arm would be visible if the banner wasnt there. The banner baring side claims they put the space marine at an angle so that no part of their body would be visible through the window, even if there was no banner.Now i guess this would be one of those "lets 4+ it" sitiations where you let the dive decide but it just seems to leave room for arguements to happen. like i said, i dont think my model will cause any problems, just wondered what everyones opinion was. thanks for all the feedback everyone. : )

I am also a contributor to this blog where I upload a lot of my other projects under the name Pandorasbitzbox

http://www.krakendoomcool.wordpress.com
@Krakendoomcool on twitter

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-13, 03:02 AM

psactionman's Flag is: USA

Page 18, 3rd paragraph under "Intervening Models" has your answer. If decorative bases don't grant cover they most assuredly won't block LOS.

Also, page 8 under "Line of Sight" talks about banners and such.

Last edited by psactionman; 05-04-13 at 03:05 AM.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-13, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Relaxed Gamer

Azwaz's Flag is: Wales

Sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. my question wasn't about blocking line of sight to other models like page 18 says, its about blocking line of sight to itself... I know, I know, its absolutely ridiculous, and I'm not suggesting for one moment that we should expect any reasonable person to try to do that. Its just not everyone who plays is reasonable, and where ever there is a grey area, somewhere along that grey spectrum is a circumstance that is reasonable and confused by a gap in the rules.

As you said, page 8 describes the specifics of line of sight. Say you want to shoot a banner barer through a window from a distance. All you can see through the window is Banner, and the other play says the specifically placed the banner barer at the angle they did because they thought that were the banner not there, you wouldn't have an angle on him... but because the banner is there and your not sure.

Rules say you cant target the banner. There's no way to be sure that you could see that guys body through the window without turning the model, and the other player says that he put the guy the way he was in order to be out of sight not thinking the banner would confuse the matter.

I've got a Grey Knight unity with a banner, its massive, it could easily get in the way with a view through a window. Its not a problem in my case, because I happen to have magnetised the banner so I can change weapon load outs. so I could just pull his hand off... problem solved. Even if they shooter was saying, I think I can hit a guy from the same unit behind the banner barer, not a problem, you just move the banner guy, because he doesn't block line of sight to other models in his unit.

In most instances, its not likely to come up, but with the number of people playing the number of games they do, and with the amount of interesting conversions people come up with... I can just see there being times when people going... 'well do you think I can see him or not, because I think I could see him if that stuff wasn't in the way'. Thanks for your feed everyone, its really nice to post something on a public forum and not have it incite rioting. I asked my own group of friends in our facebook group, and 2 of them took it a bit seriously, but it takes all sorts to make the world go round a guess eh?

I am also a contributor to this blog where I upload a lot of my other projects under the name Pandorasbitzbox

http://www.krakendoomcool.wordpress.com
@Krakendoomcool on twitter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode