Tau Shield Drones and why everyone is getting it wrong - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Default Tau Shield Drones and why everyone is getting it wrong

So, I've seen this question come up a couple of times and the response is generally the same and it seems that this has become the accepted ruling.

The way it goes is this: Someone asks about if shield drones give the unit they are with a 4+ invuln save or do they only get an invuln save themselves with no additional effect to the unit they are with. It gets mentioned that they are wargear and the person asking figures that the unit they are taken with would get that 4+ invuln. The majority of the responses say that only the shield drone gets the invuln. This is wrong... and this is the reason why:

~ Shield Drones give a 4+ save to any unit they are attached to (taken as wargear or even if an HQ joins up with a drone squadron made up of these).

Pg. 55 of the Tau codex- WARGEAR: shield generator (Shield Drone Only)

Pg. 69 of Tau Codex- Shield Generator description: A shield generator confers a 4+ invulnerable save.

The key word there is on pg 69 where it says "confers". To confer means to give something to someone or something else. So this is not a reference to the drone itself, but saying that it "gives" a 4+ invuln save. Just because the words "to any unit it is attached to" are missing, doesn't mean that the intent isn't obviously clear. If this is still confusing to some or you don't want to take my word for it- I even looked up the meaning of the word confer in my "Merriam-Webster Dictionary" so I wouldn't just be talking smack.

Confer: 1: GRANT, BESTOW 2: to exchange views : CONSULT

I even did a Google search to see if the definition would be diferrent. Via Google search:

Confer:
1: Grant or bestow (a title, degree, benefit, or right).
2: Have discussions; exchange opinions.

(Synonyms)
consult - bestow - grant - give - award - accord

The words there to focus in on are "give" and "award" in addition to the others...

So, in other words- the shield drone does not "bestow" the save unto itself, but to any unit it's attached to. Thanks all for reading and I hope this clears up any further confusion on this rule and hopefully they will amend the description in the next FAQ to make it more clear for others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 04:05 AM

Salahaldin's Flag is: Canada

Uhhh.... no. The Shield Drone takes the upgrade that confers a 4+ invulnerable save. The unit didn't take that upgrade,the Shield Drone did. The upgrade only applies to the Shield Drone, as the Shield Drone is the only one with the upgrade. This is why it says "Shield Drone Only" in brackets. Your definition of confer is spot on, but you seem to be thinking the Shield Drone upgrade confers to the entire unit. It does not. Everything the upgrade has or does applies only to the model with the upgrade.

Using your interpretation, if I take a single Assault Marine with a Combat Shield, which "confers a 6+ invulnerable save." (Space Marines, pg. 100), my entire unit has a 6+ invulnerable save.

"Trying to make some sense of it all,
When I can see it makes no sense at all"

"Fools to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 04:07 AM

Fallen's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
g. 55 of the Tau codex- WARGEAR: shield generator (Shield Drone Only)
if this is quoted verbatim from the codex then only the drone would have the shield generator, since only the drone would have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbatte
if you squint the Sigmar stuff doesn't all look like the love children from a Necron and Blood Angel orgy.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

I respectfully disagree sir. In reference to pg 55:

WARGEAR: Markerlight (Marker Drone only)
Twin-linked pulse carbine (Gun Drone only)
Shield generator (Shield Drone only)

This is in reference to which wargear goes with which model. The wargear in question regarding the shield generator "confers"/"gifts"/etc it's ability to the unit. It does not make sense that it would "gift" the ability to itself.

Salahaldin- I hear your postulation, but I have a SM codex and under the description of the Combat shield, it specifically references the "arm of the wearer" and the "user's hand", thus referencing that individual model (and being very specific as to whom the save is being confered). Unfortunately for us, the Tau codex doesn't give that detail.

Don't get me wrong, I may be wrong- but until an FAQ addresses this one specifically, then it doesn't make sense that it would "gift" the ability to itself and taken as "Wargear" for an XV8 for example, would confer that ability to the unit it is attached to.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, and to be more clear on the Wargear listings on pg 55- Like I said, it's meant to list which drones get which wargear so that people don't think a Gun Drone (for example) would also get a markerlight and shield generator in addition to it's twin linked pulse carbine- that's why it is listed as:

Gear (X Drone only)

This is not to list which specific model benefits from specific wargear. Otherwise, the Marker Drone would only be able to affect itself with it's marker light counters (which we know is not possible as this is detailed in the description of markerlights vs. networked marker lights in a different section of the codex)

Last edited by Quintus; 04-23-13 at 05:25 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 06:23 AM

Your definition of "Confer" is accurate, but guess what... it's the Shield Generator doing the conferring, not the Drone. Therefore the 4++ goes to whoever takes the piece of Wargear , unless specified otherwise, as is the case with the Dark Angel Codex's Power Field Generator.

The Grey Knights: Because Huzzah for Blind Faith and Unreasonable Hatred!

Last edited by Routine; 04-23-13 at 06:25 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 06:35 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Like Routine and the others say it is the Shield Generator that does the conferring so in the absence of "the drone and any unit it is attached to" it can only mean that the shield generator confers a 4++ onto whom ever has it in their wargear.

Just a tip? Generic dictionary definitions are never a good tool in determining the rules of 40k.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 07:09 AM

psactionman's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Routine View Post
Your definition of "Confer" is accurate, but guess what... it's the Shield Generator doing the conferring, not the Drone.
This. 100% this. Your assumption is that the drone is doing the conferring and it is not. The Shield Generator confers the 4++ to the drone who takes it. Since the Shield Generator is a model upgrade not a unit upgrade the model gets the benefit and not the unit.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 08:59 AM

jams's Flag is: Wales

Then what's the point of taking a shield drone if it only gives itself the 4++?

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 09:08 AM

arlins's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams View Post
Then what's the point of taking a shield drone if it only gives itself the 4++?
because of the way wounds are allocated
put the sheild drone in front and let it take the melta/plasma shot

seriously though 12pts to give a whole 12 man FW team a 4++ save
i dont think so

Last edited by arlins; 04-23-13 at 09:13 AM.
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode