Riptide and ICs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 06:30 AM Thread Starter

Default Riptide and ICs

I think I remember seeing this discussed somewhere, but I cant recall for the life of me where I saw it. Anywho, the question is: Can an Independent Character join a Riptide that has Drones? I ask, because this seems different from the normal situation where an IC is prohibited from joining a MC, as it is a unit that consists of a single model (and always consists thus). Although now that I think about it, Carnifexes come in groups and I dont think ICs can join them, so maybe I've answered my own question...

Opinions?

The Grey Knights: Because Huzzah for Blind Faith and Unreasonable Hatred!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 12:32 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

I think the drones are wargear? so as such they sort of don't constitute another "model" ?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 03:32 PM

CE5511's Flag is: USA

Tau codex pg 33 under Drones says they are bought as upgrades but treated as members of a unit (Much like the Fenrisian wolves in the Space Wolves codex). An IC with drones can join other units, even ones with drones of their own, and they can leave when they want. I see no difference here, nor do I see anything in the Codex or rule book saying they cant join a riptide with drones. In fact a new Tau article even suggests doing this with shadowsun. So id say you can do it with no issues

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 05:27 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

If an IC with drones can still join units then an IC can't join a riptide with drones: still being able to join a unit with drones would mean the IC and his drones aren't a unit, which means that the riptide wouldn't form a unit with its drones.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 05:44 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Except for this quote on "unit upgrade drones"

"Drones take as upgrades for a unit act as additional squad members in all regards". pg 33, TAU Codes. In addition, the Shielded Missile Drone Riptide suits can take is part of the unit box, not wargear. It has an entry in the unit box just like a Shas'vre or Marine Sgt. That makes ICs perfectly fine in joining Riptides, as it's a squad that can have from 1-3 squad members.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 07:36 PM

Seems weird though to allow ICs with drones to join other units when it isn't allowed elsewhere with HQs and retinues. I guess I have to get out the Tau codex and do some reading.

Wife: "How much do you have invested in these ... miniatures?"

Me: "I don't think invested is the right word."
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 07:59 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Wait until the next FAQ. They'll fix this and ICs won't be able to join a Riptide just because it has Drones. The few ICs in the Tyranids can't join a Hive Tyrant just because he has Tyrant Guard.

That is really interesting that Drones both count as a unit and don't count as a unit for an IC. You basically have units joining units with Tau now.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-13, 08:30 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Wouldn't surprise me if the FAQ directly addressed it, but for now, pg 33 both makes Drones members in good standing of non-IC squads, and just wargear not stopping ICs from joining where they wish for Independents. The Greater Good should not have double standards!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-13, 12:05 AM
Autarch of Heresy

Ragewind's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
Wait until the next FAQ. They'll fix this and ICs won't be able to join a Riptide just because it has Drones. The few ICs in the Tyranids can't join a Hive Tyrant just because he has Tyrant Guard.

That is really interesting that Drones both count as a unit and don't count as a unit for an IC. You basically have units joining units with Tau now.
Not quite correct, another IC cannot join the Hive Tyrant since he is a MC (who's unit only ever consists of a single model), but they CAN join the unit of Hive Guard as they are their own separate unit, Regardless of whether the Hive Tyrant has joined or not. Obviously you could have the Tyrant in the Guard unit with another IC together with them.

Of course we also know that a IC can join a unit of Carnifex, since they can be more than a single model.

There is no actual reason for them to fix it, since there is precedence set. Then again, since we are talking about GW who knows.

The Eldar, more than any other army, should not only look at the output of each unit individually, but the synergy of multiple units together and their role in the force as a whole. - Fable

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode