glory hog's rule for tankbusta's - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Woodzee316's Flag is: Australia

Default glory hog's rule for tankbusta's

g'day guys
played a couple of games over the weekend using the tankbusta's (yes dusted them off and gave them a run) and surprisingly they worked really well with the way the new errata and faq's are written.

except when i was playing one fella and my tankbusta's destroyed his rhino in the shooting phase and was then in charge range of his dreadnought so proceeded to charge the dread and he said that i couldn't because i had targeted the rhino. my arguement was that the glory hog's rule says if it is in range of a vehicle it must charge and assault it. because the rhino was no longer around then the dread becomes the groups new target and therefore must follow their ruling, codex overides BRB. i let it go as it was a mute point being on turn 5 and i was controling two of the three objectives and had his forces pretty much decimated.

just interested to see what other people's take on the ruling is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 11:34 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

If we consider the general case, it works that if you destroy a unit in the shooting phase you cannot charge a different unit, despite the target no longer existing.

On that basis I would say that the prohibition on charging only what you shoot would still stand as nothing in the rule specifically exempts the Tankbusta from that requirement.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-13, 02:09 PM
Iniquity's Flag is: USA

Reading the FAQ, I would agree with Magpie on this. The wording says 'shoot and/or charge an enemy vehicle' - I read that as a single vehicle that you may target. If you shoot it and destroy it, then the BRB rule for assaults prevents you from charging a different unit and you already qualified the Glory Hog rule because you shot at a vehicle.

Orks aren't my army, so this is just how I read the rules.

Last edited by Iniquity; 03-26-13 at 07:51 PM.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

just spoke to the guys at games-workshop customer support in Australia they asked me to send the scenario to the FAQ team so hopefully we'll have an official answer in the next FAQ.

they seem to think though that because the Glory Hog rule says "they must always shoot at and/or assault an enemy vehicle in line of site" and the codex overides the BRB then they are actually forced to target the second vehicle if the one they shoot at is destroyed and the second one is in range because of the MUST ALWAYS wording that is in the text but as with all things this is unofficial until the new FAQ will be released.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 04:32 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

So does that mean if you shoot a vehicle and it blows up you MUST immediately shoot another vehicle if it is in range?

Not quite the same I know but the point is I think there is an implied "if the unit is eligible to" it MUST etc
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

yeah not really the same as you don't get to shoot more than once each turn and your whole unit must target one unit in shooting but i see what you mean will be interesting to see if it does get FAQed and which way the ruling goes
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 07:40 AM

You quoted the key words for why I don't think you can charge a second vehicle. And/Or. Codex does overrule rulebook, but there is nothing in that statement that says you can charge a different vehicle if the one you shot blew up. Again, and/or. You must do something, and you did. You shot at the first vehicle, it blew up. You've qualified Glory Hog by virtue of shooting a vehicle. The or in the rule now takes precedence. If you failed to destroy the vehicle you shot at, you could make use of the and portion of Glory Hog and charge the same vehicle you shot at. Alternatively, you could not shoot at anything to take advantage of the or portion of the rule, meaning you have to charge a vehicle in range.

I see nothing in the Glory Hog rule that contradicts anything from the rulebook. If you shoot something, you have to charge that same something. The inclusion of the word or specifically allows Glory Hog to work with current rules.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

yeah i can see and understand your arguement but then again each phase is separate movement phase, shooting/running phase and then assault phase and the trigger is during each phase.
So in essence what your saying is if i shoot at a vehicle and it is not destroyed then i can choose not to charge it because i have fulfilled the first part of the glory hog's rule by shooting, i don't need to then charge the vehicle if it is in charge range.

i guess we'll just have to wait and see if it gets an FAQ.

but at the moment i'm more than happy to play it with the standard rule of you can only assault the unit you target until their is a definitive answer supplied by GW.

it is good to open debate about this, which is what i wanted to do to see other peoples interpretation of the ruling was.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 06:27 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

The thing is, the rule just states you must ATTEMPT to shoot at and/or charge a vehicle.

How can you attempt to charge another vehicle when such a move is illegal per the BRB? This isn't a case of codex trumping the rule book because that's not a conflicting rule. There isn't a part here where they say you may charge another vehicle. It's pretty clear that the intent here is that if you are in either charge range or shooting range of a vehicle you must shoot and or charge it instead of trying to shoot or charge a non vehicle model.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-13, 07:49 PM

One more time, here we go.

RAW (Rules as written)
Glory Hog must do one of the following:
1) Shoot at a vehicle if in range.
A) If the vehicle is destroyed, the Glory Hogs are done for the turn
B) If the vehicle survives, the Glory Hogs don't charge it though
C) If the vehicle survives, the Glory Hogs charge it in the assault phase
2) Don't shoot a vehicle in range and must charge in the assault phase

As written, only the above can happen. Glory Hog doesn't have a special ability to charge a different unit then the one they shot at. Again, the inclusion of the word or in the rule. If it meant every turn they had to charge a vehicle, the rule would say something like "they must shoot a vehicle in the shooting phase and charge a vehicle in the assault phase. These can be different targets." It doesn't say anything like that.

RAI (Rules as intended)
1) The Glory Hogs must shoot at a vehicle in range.
A) If it survives the shooting, then they must charge that same vehicle.
B) If it is destroyed, the Glory Hogs are done.

Again, NOTHING in the Glory Hog rule conflicts with anything in the rulebook. You can not charge a unit if you shot at a different unit in the shooting phase. All the Glory Hog rule says is you must shoot OR assault each turn, at the minimum. By including the word AND, you can still charge the same vehicle you shot at if it wasn't destroyed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode