Units with multiple blast template shots
I'll preface this with I'm a beginner in this game. I did look through the rules but I didn't find/interpret how this works.
I have a squad of 10 necron warriors, 5 are pinched so a small template can take out all 5. I get this. A squad of 3 obliterators intend to fire on the squad. Here is how my opponent played the shooting on this:
1. Said all 3 templates will line up on the 5 necrons
2. Rolled 3 times with scatter dice, 2 dead hits other scattered off and hit nothing
3. Rolled wounds for 2 hits on 5 units. He got 8 wounds.
Here are my questions.
1. Is this how you roll the shooting on this? All concurrent or one at a time?
2. Can wounds be applied to models (in the same unit) but outside of the blast template?
I can see how this is the case because wounds go to a pool. But with how GW seems to try and rationalize how stuff works, it seems if you throw 2 blast shots in the same spot and the first destroys all targets the second just goes in a crater and does nothing. I figured the way my opponent played it is right and didn't make a difference in the outcome, but I want to know 100% in case this comes up again. If there is a post that clarifies this or a page that I'm missing or mis-reading please point me to them. Sorry if I'm just that much of a noob that I don't understand the rules.