Trapped! and Doubling Back - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-13, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Default Trapped! and Doubling Back

Background

Being a dirty Nid player one of my favourite tactics to wipe out units is to drop pod some termagants with devourers behind an enemy unit and spread them out to hose down a unit and then force whatever's left over to break and be cut down by the said unit of Termagants.

Usually this would be done in a firing line sort of fashion where i'd spread out as far as possible to cut all avenues of escape. A cheap tactic I know, but when you're playing competitive Nids you need everything you can get.

Contemplation

After an incident with "They shall know no fear" i've been re-reading the rules to clarify a few things. After looking over the rules I've found that a unit could effectively run around my unit the long way by running as far left or right as they need to try and make it back to their board edge by any means possible.

Question

The rule states however if they cant make a full "fall-back" move without "doubling back" the unit is destroyed.

What constitutes doubling back? Is it the minute they have to take a step backwards to make their fall-back move? Or is it something else? If its the former, then is it the moment a unit has to make an movement that would bring them closer to the enemy's board rather than their own considered doubling back?

I know this is all a wall of text for such a simple ruling but I want to be crystal clear as I will need to amend my strategy to face melt much more effectively. Its the difference between a firing line formation and a horseshoe formation... its the very difference between life or death!!!

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-13, 04:45 PM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Though it is rare, a unit can actually legally do a Fall-back toward the opposite board edge. When it comes down to the nitty-gritty they are simply trying to escape that one unit, not your whole army. What's more likely is the unit may move parallel to its board edge, which is still legal.

But as rare as these scenarios are, actually being "trapped" is far more uncommon. The unit literally has to be unable to move in most cases, as it is possible they could roll really low. A unit could have enemy units completely around them, with no gaps to move between but may not be trapped. Say they are in the middle of a square 8" on all sides of enemy models. If they roll a 2 to Fall-back they are safe. I'm assuming they could move in one direction without ending up within 1" of an enemy model. So imagine it is one model in the exact middle. So 3" is safe, even 4" if you move to a corner. But if you get within 1" of an enemy model and still have distance to move, you are "trapped."

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-13, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

aha so doubling back is effectively the "bleed" distance left over when you fail to go in one direction. This has added a bit more clarity, cheers Dan

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-13, 10:01 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igni Ferroque View Post
aha so doubling back is effectively the "bleed" distance left over when you fail to go in one direction. This has added a bit more clarity, cheers Dan
Yep it seems to be that so long as you keep moving in the one general direction you are good, it's only if you have distance left over and nowhere to move to "spend" it that you're in trouble.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode