Im very new here a Q about CCW - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Im very new here a Q about CCW

Hey im very new here and to the game im reading my way through my codex and rule book.

Choas space marines in my codex it says

"Any space marine may take a close combat weapon........2 pts/ model"

Now does this mean in addition to the rest of there weapons and does this include the 2 space marines i have given a Heavy bolter+Plasma gun.

They way im reading this is they get a CCW weapon "dagger" and a bolt pistol represented by holstered pistol and dagger that can be used when assaulting.

So does this mean with out if im assaulted only my aspiring champion can fightback?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:11 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

No- all models in the game have a 'combat weapon' of some sort... be it a knife, pistol or whatever they can bash people with. What this option is saying is that you can upgrade your CSMs to have a close combat weapon (CCW) as well as a pistol, giving them 2 combat weapons and hence a bonus attack. They would then have 2 attacks normally or 3 if they charged this turn.

This would work for every model in the unit: you don't give up your pistol to get the heavy bolter/plasmagun so its still there... and then giving them an aditional CCW will get them the extra attack too. DOn't worry about models holding bulky weapons, its assumed that they can holster/drop them when needed to draw their combat weapons (or if they want to fire their pistols... such as when you want to shoot something and then charge).

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Ty for your reply my follow up question then what CCW could you take im guessing chain sword, I would just like a reference not sure if im not looking hard enough but i cant see where it says what you can take.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:44 PM

It would just be a generic weapon of any kind, be it a chainsword or sword, or axe. If you model it off something that could be interpreted as another weapon, ie a power axe/sword/sponge make sure to inform your opponent that its just a basic close clombat weapon

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

ok so i guess then the Strengh of the weapon would be the same of the Space marine's strengh now if thats the case isnt the CCW they have allready just as good?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:51 PM

Yes and no, fluff wise a chainsword is a vastly superior weapon to the knife.

Rules wise, if they dont have a close combat weapon listed, they specifically dont get another attack.

In 5th ed Chaos marine codex nearly everything got an extra attack because wargear entry said they had a boltgun, bolt pistol and chainsword, so they added plus one to their attack profile.

In the new codex they've just made it cost more for that extra attack.

If you dont buy the weapon you dont get the extra attack!

And yes its profile is that of Str: User Ap: - Notes: +1 Attack

Even though you walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I'm there waiting... and your not coming out alive!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Ahhh i get it, Adding a CCW does nothing more than give you a extra attack in melee combat and the ruling see's it as just have 2 CCW weapons.

Ty for all your help
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 08:56 PM

wait yes... ammendment to my note on the end of the weapon. There would be no + one on the note, as its just another CCW! Due to have the pistol and sword you gain the extra attack. Silly me.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 09:05 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Anything at all that isn't 'special', so chain swords, combat knifes, bats, clubs, rocks, bloody end of an amputated arm... basically whatever you want (you don't have to model them, but it would be good to have a few chainswords or combat blades showing in the unit if you want that.

Where not to get confused is that not all 'combat' weapons are CCWs: you can't take a 2pt CCW and claim its a power weapon... CCWs have no special rules beyond claiming an extra attack for 2 of them.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 09:22 PM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Anything at all that isn't 'special', so chain swords, combat knifes, bats, clubs, rocks, bloody end of an amputated arm... basically whatever you want (you don't have to model them, but it would be good to have a few chainswords or combat blades showing in the unit if you want that.

Where not to get confused is that not all 'combat' weapons are CCWs: you can't take a 2pt CCW and claim its a power weapon... CCWs have no special rules beyond claiming an extra attack for 2 of them.
Great, now I want to see a unit of Berserkers charging into battle wielding the severed limbs of their defeated foes so they can beat their new foes to death with the wet ends.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode