New FAQs are Up! - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
... what changed for the worse for the Eldar? Intercept actually does something now! (I just bought two boxes of Hawks last week!)
Not too much, but there are a couple bits in there.

1st. We have 2 changes in the Eldar FAQ to the same sentence:
(older but still there)
Page 35 – Intercept.
The last sentence should be changed to: “In assaults, they
never require worse than 4+ to hit vehicles that do not have a
WS.”
(new)
Page 35 – Swooping Hawks, Intercept.
Replace the second sentence with “In assaults, they always treat
vehicles, except Walkers, as having Weapon Skill 0”.

Its the same sentence in the Dex, and the rules don't really conflict. But its the principle of it damn it.

I was a little bit let down by the Executioner only being AP 3, the last DE FAQ got my hopes up that with Demiklaves being AP 2 that an Executioner that performed similarly would have been ruled similarly. But I really should have known better on that one.

I guess Star Engines losing 6" of movement is a loss, but they are rarely taken enough by anyone to rant over.

The rest was kinda on a wire anyway. Fortuning DE, Overwatching with Destructor, Vibro Cannons vs. Flyers, etc. I'm not really surprised by any of these rulings. The one thing Eldar get to keep (for now) is a unit of Character Warlocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 06:22 AM

Quote:
WTF?
Here is a smaller WTF moment but a WTF moment none the less.

Quote:
Q: When a model makes a vector strike or hammer of wrath , do
these attacks benefit from any special rules (such as Furious Charge,
Poisoned or Rending), or any weapons or other wargear it is
equipped with? (p37/43)
A: No.
Quote:
Q: Does Baron Sathonyx’ Custom Skyboard add +2 Strength to his
Hammer of Wrath attacks? (p48)
A: Yes.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 07:34 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I was thrilled by most of the changes for my armies, though some of the rulebook changes made me sad. It is weird that we now have so many contradictory rulings now. But at least some of the "common sense" stuff was spelled out for everyone. Here's a prime example of this not yet covered.

Quote:
Q: Flyers normally have to start in reserve, but can a Flyer (Hover)
choose to begin the game in Hover mode and deploy with the rest of
the army? (p81)
A: No.
It practically says that in the rulebook anyway. But I also saw something interesting.

Quote:
Page 45 – Bikes & Jetbikes, Special Rules.
Add ‘Very Bulky’ to the list of special rules for Bikes and
Jetbikes.
Based on this, a squad of 5 Space Marine Bikes could fit in a Land Raider Crusader. Can't really think of why you'd do it, but apparently you can.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 07:54 AM

Pandora's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaivex View Post
Here is a smaller WTF moment but a WTF moment none the less.
That skyboard does seem contradictory. But the Hellion Skyboards are probably what's doing the Hammer of Wraith, not the Hellion itself. Truefully, Hellions have always felt off to me. The fact that they are affected by terrain when it is clear the model never touches the ground has always bugged me. Reavers at least don't care about terrain.

As a player of an exceptionally high initiative army I was glad to see the change to how Whip Coils and Lash Whips work. Wyches are still in just for countering those units and Haywiring vehicles.

Evil is like shadow. It hides in the tiny cracks, biding its time until the Light fades.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 10:01 AM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

Here's another WTF? this one dealing with Old Zogwart (the Named Ork Weirdboy)

Q: What happens if a model with BS0 takes a Snap Shot? Do they count as having a BS of 1?
A: Models with BS 0 cannot make any form of Shooting attack – see the rules for zero-level characteristics on page 3.

Q: Can a Tyranid Broodlord (which has BS 0) use a witchfire psychic power that doesn’t require a roll To Hit? If not, is he able to re-roll the psychic power because he cannot use it? (p40)
A: No to both questions.

Old Zogwart Has BS of 0. Zzap and Frazzle are Pyshic Shooting attacks, which means he can't use them... have fun rolling a 2 or 3 on your pyshic chart. Good job GW.

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 02:47 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Old Zog can at least reroll to get a useful power (warp'ead)... and that's if you don't choose to go squiggy (and let's face it, if you have Zog then that's why).

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Quote:
Q: Does a weapon that hits automatically, still hit automatically when
making a Snap Shot? (p13)
A: Yes.
Quote:
Q: How do mmaaeellssttrroommss, nnoovvaassand bbeeaammss– or indeed any weapon
that doesn’t need to roll To Hit or hits automatically – interact with
Zooming FFllyyeerrssand GGlliiddiinngg FFllyyiinngg MMoonnssttrroouuss CCrreeaattuurreess? (p13)
A: Only Snap Shots can hit Zooming Flyers and Gliding
Flying Monstrous Creatures. Therefore, any attacks that use
blast markers, templates, create a line of/area of effect or
otherwise don’t roll to hit
cannot target them. This includes
weapons such as the Necron Doom Scythe’s death ray or the
Deathstrike missile of the Imperial Guard, and psychic
powers that follow the rule for maelstroms, beams, and
novas.
WTF?
This isn't contradictory if you step back for a moment and think about it. It's stating that only that weapons that can SNAP SHOT can auto-hit Zooming Flyers and Gliding Monstrous creatures. If you can't snap shot it, it can't shoot at zooming flyers/FMCs (unless it has Skyfire which is a different issue). This keeps AOE from smacking things around and people trying to bend the rules to hit flyers with things like JotWW.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zion View Post
This isn't contradictory if you step back for a moment and think about it. It's stating that only that weapons that can SNAP SHOT can auto-hit Zooming Flyers and Gliding Monstrous creatures. If you can't snap shot it, it can't shoot at zooming flyers/FMCs (unless it has Skyfire which is a different issue). This keeps AOE from smacking things around and people trying to bend the rules to hit flyers with things like JotWW.

How about Mind War? Its a psychic shooting attack that doesn't roll to hit.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 04:58 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Can you explain to me the difference between "hits automatically" and "doesn't roll to-hit" then?

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-08-12, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styro-J View Post
How about Mind War? Its a psychic shooting attack that doesn't roll to hit.
I'm not looking at my big rule book right this second, but if it counts as a Witchfire then it could be snap-shot and could potentially work, if it doesn't, then it wouldn't since Witchfire powers are the only ones that can snapshot (if I recall correctly).

Then again I don't have psykers in my army so my recollection on such things isn't perfect since I don't have to reference it much.

Quote:
Can you explain to me the difference between "hits automatically" and "doesn't roll to-hit" then?
I don't see one beyond phrasing. I, however, do see direct correllation between the questions regarding the fact that both have to do with snap-fire. One questions asks if a weapon that if a weapon can auto-hit and is eligible to be snapfired (which rules out most auto-hit/does not roll to hit weapons since they use some form of template which can't be snap fired), and if you can snap-fire it then it works. The other is clarifying that certain kinds of weapons can't hit even if they would normally automatically do so, these weapons are ones that can't snapfire (templates, blasts, psychic powers which work on an AOE principle instead (which can't snap-fire because they aren't Witchfires, ect.)) can't affect zooming flyers/swooping FMCs.

Short version: if it can snap-fire and has a rule that would let it auto-hit then it can affect zooming flyers/swooping FMCs. Otherwise it does not. (Skyfire obviously skirts around this since you can shoot zooming flyers and swooping FMCs without snapfiring thus getting around this).

Granted that's just the way I'm reading it and how my brain puts the pieces together. I think it makes perfect sense, but I could be wrong.

I suggest sending in to the FAQ email since they seem to be actually using some of that stuff (not -everything- mind you, but more than I expected from what I sent in).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode