Required to inform opponent of transport occupants? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-12, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Default Required to inform opponent of transport occupants?

Pretty self-explanatory - are you required to inform your opponent of what is in your transports?

I'm wondering if this tactic could be used in order to use cheap distraction transports that don't contain anything in order to allow transports with troops a better chance to get to the front. Or, alternatively. I could put nasty troops in a smaller transport in an attempt to trick my opponent into shooting a bigger transport with weaker occupants.

But these thoughts would be pretty much negated if I HAVE to tell an opponent who is in what. I think that in order to keep things fair, I could write who is in what on a piece of scrap paper, and put that paper in each transport.

Anyways, what are people's thoughts? I don't recall reading anything about this in the rulebook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-12, 08:37 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yes.

Its an old argument with many people trying to use empty rhinos as a 40k equivalent of find the shell game... which is really boring. Basically the easiest way of explaining how it falls down is that to do anything in 40k you must tell your opponent you are doing it... this includes the obvious things such as moving and shooting, but also the less obvious things such as alocating reserve units for outflank/DS or putting them in a transport.

I think its technically correct to say you have to say which transport you have put a unit in but then are under no obligation to remind the opponent if they forget or weren't paying attention... but there is a name for people who do things like that, and it isn't complimentary.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-04-12, 09:05 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

there used to be specific rules saying you didn't have to, it was in, I want to say 3rd or 4th in a sidebar titled 'a note on secrecy', but that;s since gont by the wayside and now at deployment you need to state what units are being deployed inside what transports. Generally I mark it on my army list as well, to avoid any accidental swicheroos

After that point, however, if your opponent can't keep his intel straight that's his problem. But if you;re going to play coy and not remind the enemy who;s in what then you really should write it down just to avoid any accusations

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 02:06 AM

Azrell's Flag is: USA

also in 5th as an optional rules example.

It takes a pack of Wolves to tree a Lion... here is hopping the new DA codex reflects that.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 02:26 AM

Dicrel Seijin's Flag is: USA

I usually state who's where. Additionally I put a mini on the vehicle.

When I play my Sallies, I'd usually have a sarge standing on the top of the rhino, tank-surfing Goto-style.

When I play my Orks, I have a Nob riding in the back (there's not much room for anything else there).

Having a mini on the vehicle is a great visual reminder.

"Oh, you can have as much violence as you want, but no swearing and absolutely no sex." --Bruce Campbell

Fiction: Beneath Our Feet | From Darkness... | Elements of Order, Ep 1, Pt 1, Sec 1 & 2 (MLP: FiM) | Iron Grot | Only War

Projects: Waaagh! Dicrel: Bad Moons Rising | Dicrel's Ork Base Works-In-Progress Log
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 02:29 AM

I'd say it is common curtosy to let your opponent know whenever they ask. It's just good sportsmanship. We had a guy at my FLGS that played the "I don't have to tell you" game. He had a really hard time finding a game because nobody ever wanted to play with him no matter how much they wanted a game. If you want to keep your contents a secret, that's up to you. Just be forewarned.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 02:35 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

BRB pg 121 under Deploying Transport Vehicles states you declare where units are being deployed in-transport.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 04:23 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

It's the same as announcing what, if any, units your ICs have joined. Anything along those lines is stated at the deployment.

The sidebar "note on secrecy" has changed to say that you don't have to reveal your written list until the end of the game. You should still say what your units are as well as any special/un-modelable equipment they have.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 07:35 AM

Kowski's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyobrien3 View Post
Pretty self-explanatory - are you required to inform your opponent of what is in your transports?

I'm wondering if this tactic could be used in order to use cheap distraction transports that don't contain anything in order to allow transports with troops a better chance to get to the front. Or, alternatively. I could put nasty troops in a smaller transport in an attempt to trick my opponent into shooting a bigger transport with weaker occupants.

But these thoughts would be pretty much negated if I HAVE to tell an opponent who is in what. I think that in order to keep things fair, I could write who is in what on a piece of scrap paper, and put that paper in each transport.

Anyways, what are people's thoughts? I don't recall reading anything about this in the rulebook.
Until I read on here I didn't realise this was a rule, I've always used this as a ruse, hiding Rhinos carrying Plague Marines in the midst of Rhinos carrying Khorne Beserkers, for example. I've always let my apponent know what forces I was fielding, but as for which Rhinos/other transports are carrying what, it was often something that, whilst I never really necessarily kept secret, I kept under the rug in a sort of "Don't ask don't tell" way.

However, I've rarely been in matches that has involved less the five of my own Rhinos and usually its around eight or nine plus any other transports such as Razorbacks, Land Raiders, Stormravens, etc. I can often maintain that sort of ruse, though, which is less handy for my Blood Angels but more so for my Eldar and Chaos forces.

Though, now I've found out I have too, I guess I'll have to adapt to that.

"I believe in three tenets of battle - firepower, firepower and more firepower. Should the Omnissiah have wished otherwise, he would not have provided me with such a mighty tool as the Razorback. I long for the day in which my entire Chapter can ride to war in transports such as these, vehicles whose rage can be given voice through their sanctified armament." -Kardan Stronos, Chapter Master of the Iron Hands.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-12, 09:06 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

It used to be up to the players to agree whether to reveal or not, but apparantly someone tried it once on Jervis and he thought it was a no-good, low-down, cheatin'-an'-lyin' skunk move.

So he banned it in the new rulebook.

Fuck you Jervis, fuck you with an unlubricated narrative.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode