Grounding FMCs - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Default Grounding FMCs

The BRB says if an FMC "suffers one or more hits from a unit's shooting attack" it needs to take a grounded test. Is it really as simple as this? No need to wound, just to hit? As in, a unit of 3 marines, rapid firing their bolters, could expect on average to force a grounded test? Probably a silly question but it seems a little harsh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 11:47 AM

Azrell's Flag is: USA

Yes but remember that shooting a FMC without skyfire is at BS1

It takes a pack of Wolves to tree a Lion... here is hopping the new DA codex reflects that.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 12:11 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Yep all ya gotta do is hit it and it can knock it off balance.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 07:38 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Its how I'm planning to deal with FMC with my IG: first rank fire/bring it down with lasguns just to get a hit, repeat until its downed... then use any remaining orders to smack it around with missiles/plasma/melta.
Its just a bit annoying that IG can't fire before finishing orders (19 shots from a platoon infantry squad is going to hit at least once...).

I think the grounded rule is actually quite well thought out: a couple of lucky hits on a flyer with decent weapons could well destroy it... but FMCs have more wounds and better invuns (sometimes)... could you imagine trying to kill a flying Fateweaver if you couldn't ground him? An average 195 lascannon shots needed to kill him unless you get lucky and he runs away back to the warp early.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 07:45 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
Its how I'm planning to deal with FMC with my IG: first rank fire/bring it down with lasguns just to get a hit, repeat until its downed... then use any remaining orders to smack it around with missiles/plasma/melta.
Its just a bit annoying that IG can't fire before finishing orders (19 shots from a platoon infantry squad is going to hit at least once...).
Order effects are resolved at once - pg 30, Bring it Down!: The ordered unit immediately shoots at the nominated target.

I reckon you'd order Bring it Down!, resolve the shots, then do the next order and so on and so forth. Therefore, you can FRFSRF a FMC to Ground it and then BiD to kill it when it's on the floor.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-12, 06:49 PM

I've played 2 games with more than 1 FMC. So far they've been realitively easy to ground. But having 1k points of an army having to unload everything at a 200 point unit for 1 turn makes that smoking pile o'FMC worth the cost.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-12, 07:18 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Order effects are resolved at once - pg 30, Bring it Down!: The ordered unit immediately shoots at the nominated target.

I reckon you'd order Bring it Down!, resolve the shots, then do the next order and so on and so forth. Therefore, you can FRFSRF a FMC to Ground it and then BiD to kill it when it's on the floor.

Midnight
Ah, so maybe I could first rank fire to hit it, then bring it down to kill it.... wait, that was exactly what I said, then exactly what you said and now exactly what I've jyst said again.... its almost like we're not reading each others posts completely.

When I said I wish you could fire before finishing orders I meant with all other non-order firing... that would allow you to fire away with lasguns, get a few hits and ground the flyer... then smash it with ordered heavy weapons.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-24-12, 07:22 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

Order FRFSRF bring the flyer to the ground, then Order "Bring it down" on the heavies. I don't see the problem, as you finish the first order's actions before commencing with the second.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode