Failed Charge question - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

texcuda's Flag is: USA

Failed Charge question

pg 22 Failed Charge says,

"If the initial charger is found to be further than its charge range from the enemy, the charge fails and no models are moved."

I need clarification on this.

Example: 5 SM vs 10 Orks, SM are 12" away from base contact with the Orks. SM's roll 2d6 and get 5. They charge 5" and then stop. Does the fact that they are still 7" away mean the charge has failed. So if they had rolled 7, the charge would be ok even though they are still 5" away.

I'll be honest the new CC rules look to be a bear....pile in and consolidation moves just to start combat, psssh. If I read this right, the max safe distance if one wants to avoid CC is 15" +?

"The difference between heresy and treachery is ignorance." The Emporer
"Actually, if you speak up about something you clearly no nothing about, it kinda IS your fault. lol Feel free to ignore any questions you don't know the answer to." Courtesy of DeathKlokk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 07:17 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

The charge move is not made, if the distance rolled is insufficient to reach combat - the assaulting unit is left where it was when it declared the charge. The charge range applies only to the original distance between them and the target unit - it doesn't come into play after the charge move has been made.

Or at least that's how I read it...

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 07:43 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

Not really. It works like so using your situation:

SM's roll 2d6 and add them together for a charge range. They get a 5 total.

They started 12" away, and their charge distance is 5", so they are short by 7", but since they couldn't make the charge, they remain exactly where they were before the charge range dice were rolled, so at the end of the assault phase nothing has happened other than some dice rolling, no models are moved.

However, I believe Overwatch happens right after an assault is declared but before dice are rolled (Someone correct me if that is wrong), so there is that to mess with things.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 07:57 PM

Yeah that's where the whole, shoot out of assault comes into play, however with the 3'' pile in, if the squad assaults and is 3'' out of range, would they still be able to fight when the pile in? or would they just stay where they are because the initial charger didn't get in base contact.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 08:01 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

I don't think so simply because they never completed the assault move.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 08:11 PM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
Yeah that's where the whole, shoot out of assault comes into play, however with the 3'' pile in, if the squad assaults and is 3'' out of range, would they still be able to fight when the pile in? or would they just stay where they are because the initial charger didn't get in base contact.
The first mini (Initial Charger) cannot be further than the charge range of the enemy, if it isn't the charge fails. Pg22 "Failed Charge".

Last edited by Magpie_Oz; 07-16-12 at 08:13 PM.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

So the charge hasn't failed as long as the distance to enemy is less than the distance charged. But if they charge 6" and are still 6" away, the 3" pile in will NOT get one them into base contact. So assault failed?

"Actually, if you speak up about something you clearly no nothing about, it kinda IS your fault. lol Feel free to ignore any questions you don't know the answer to." Courtesy of DeathKlokk
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 01:34 AM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

If the distance rolled on the 2d6 is less than the distance from the closest two models then no models are moved at all and there is no combat. No Combat, No Pile-In, No Attacks.

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
If the distance rolled on the 2d6 is less than the distance from the closest two models then no models are moved at all and there is no combat. No Combat, No Pile-In, No Attacks.
Great, fine, dandy. We get that. The rule specifically says that as long as the distance to the closest enemy is less than the distance charged that the initial mover succeeds. So if the enemy is 23" away and I roll 12" then the distance remaining is 11", clearly within the limitations imposed by the failed charge rule. However, a 3" pile in move clearly is not going to get me even close to 2" away much less bast contact. So.....what happens now?

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-17-12, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

ok on perhaps the 19th rereading of the rule, maybe I am just overreading it. Could it simply be saying in roundabout fashion that the initial charger must be within 1" (or some other #) of the closest enemy or the attack fails? Not less distance than the distance charged as shown in my previous example. Thoughts......

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode