Doom Scythe Pintle ? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-12, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Default Doom Scythe Pintle ?

Hi Have not had a chance to get a real close look at the model yet but is the death ray on a doom scythe a pintle weapon or a hull mounted weapon. Also does this effect a death ray as it says nominate a point on the battlefield within the weapons range, then nominate a second point within 3d6. So can you just measure from the death ray 360 degrees and nominate a point or is it limited to a point within its LOS as per rulebook Vehicle weapons and line of sight. I think it is 360 but just need a clarification. Can it shoot backwards ?
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 12:10 AM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

When a weapons does not tell you how it is mounted, you need to look at the model itself. In the Doomscythe's case all of it's weapons are Hull mounted. That means you have a 45 degree arc of fire.

As for the Death Ray, you get a 12" Cone to place your first point.

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 01:18 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

After placing that first point, you can shoot backwards, unlike the Hellhound for IG. At any rate, the entry for the Night Scythe does say the Tesla Destructor is turret mounted. Granted it is in the fluff description. So that does not directly relate to rules, unfotunately. However, the Death Ray hangs below this with one, ball-shaped connection. I'd be willing to listen to arguments for either type of mounting. But I'm pretty sure the consensus would fall to hull-mounted, especially being mounted on a Flyer.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-12, 08:35 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Looking at my Night Scythe the tesla destructor is certainly hull mounted.

The death ray is mounted on a sphere which looks like it can pivot freely... where that gets dodgy is with the power cables which don't look they allow much movement, but that is beyond the rules: the mounting itself is what the rules talk about (and we have no idea how necron power cables work/behave).
I would really like the death ray to be hull mounted because then I might feel less bad about taking one... but as it is I'm, sticking to 1 night scythe until more armies have a way of dealing with fliers (unless I start playing lots of IG armies with endless vendettas).

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 05:28 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

One of my gaming buddies, who doesn't even play Necrons, came up with a solution for the power cables. They're made of Necrodermis(Living Metal) and are free to shrink and expand, just as the hull thickens to absorb impacts.

I am like you Tim/Steve. Using Flyers against armies that don't have decent Flyer defenses feels wrong. Three Doom Scythes or 3 Razorwings could destroy many armies with almost no support.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Hi again, thanks for all the replies,appreciate it. However I have just noticed that the Death Ray rules do not mention having to pick a point within line of sight. They just say pick a point anywhere within the weapons range then nominate another point within 3d6 and blam. So as long as you measure from the front of the death ray to a point 12'' away you can shoot 360. My bad I did not fully understand that no LOS was needed.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 10:37 AM

Your weapon is a 360 degree weapon, as turreting is not classed as moment, therefore you're able to turret your vehicle just like a model, you're techincally not moving the model just turreting. It's a Strength 10 AP1 weapon, up to around 30". 12" to pick your first point and 3D6 to your second point. I've used my Death Ray in appocalypse battle one time, moved on the board 36" and used the deathray took out 2 LANDRAIDERS! It's ass kicking, and now with 6th Edition rules you're able to use your deathray and still move, this means it is awesome, It also has 2 or 3 Hull points so it needs that many glances before it's blown up, so they've made it tougher! This means it can pretty much kill anything and anyone in one go, it's auto hit this means you can literally kill any creature really.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 11:45 AM

Da Joka's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandron View Post
Hi again, thanks for all the replies,appreciate it. However I have just noticed that the Death Ray rules do not mention having to pick a point within line of sight. They just say pick a point anywhere within the weapons range then nominate another point within 3d6 and blam. So as long as you measure from the front of the death ray to a point 12'' away you can shoot 360. My bad I did not fully understand that no LOS was needed.
It still follows the normal shooting rules. It is not clearly mounted on a turret so you can't claim it is. I feel as of right now the only thing keeping the Doomscythe remotely balanced is that you have fire it at things in front of you. I mean it can already fire in to close combat, and hit multiple units... also you still need LoS to wound.

Peace, Love, and Mass Destruction

Necrons in 6th Edition W: 28 L: 9 D: 5
Orks in 6th Edition W:9 L:9 D:3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
F*** that, Barrel rolling monolith all the way.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 11:52 AM

Dīnadan's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsinaty View Post
Your weapon is a 360 degree weapon, as turreting is not classed as moment, therefore you're able to turret your vehicle just like a model, you're techincally not moving the model just turreting. It's a Strength 10 AP1 weapon, up to around 30". 12" to pick your first point and 3D6 to your second point. I've used my Death Ray in appocalypse battle one time, moved on the board 36" and used the deathray took out 2 LANDRAIDERS! It's ass kicking, and now with 6th Edition rules you're able to use your deathray and still move, this means it is awesome, It also has 2 or 3 Hull points so it needs that many glances before it's blown up, so they've made it tougher! This means it can pretty much kill anything and anyone in one go, it's auto hit this means you can literally kill any creature really.
What do you mean by 'turreting'? A weapon is only turret mounted if its rule specifically say that a weapon is turret mounted, or if no mounting is mentioned, that's how it's mounted on the physical model. As has been said previously, in this case the weapon is hull mounted, which restricts it to 45 degree LoS.

If you mean pivoting on the spot, then you may want to go re-read the rules for flyers - flyers that are zooming have restrictions on how much they can pivot.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-14, 10:33 PM

it has 360 degree of firing goodness. Why codex trumps rule book for one and it says pick any point on the battlefield up to 12" away so there it is any point on the battlefield.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode