6th Edition: Firing part of a unit question? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-12, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Default 6th Edition: Firing part of a unit question?

I am fairly new to playing 40k. I played a little 5th edition and just started reading the 6th edition rules and I think a rule might have changed regarding how shooting works. In the shooting section, it says when declaring shots, not all members of a unit need to shoot. I thought in 5th edition if your unit chose to shoot, you had to shoot with all the members of the unit that could shoot. This creates a interesting change when you read how cover works I think. Your target gets a cover save if any of your firing models draws a line through the cover. So could you now choose to not fire from the members of the squad that draw a line of fire through the cover? You would get less shots but you would deny the unit cover saves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-12, 06:08 PM

Capussa's Flag is: United Kingdom

The option to not shoot some models was available in 5th, if this haddn't been the case then why put a flamer in a unit of guardsmen or a tactical squad, the flamer's short range means to maximise the effect you need to be ontop of the enemy but if all your other weapons are rapid fire you are unable to assault
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-12, 06:15 PM

Obinhi's Flag is: USA

The main thrust of the new rule is that if you dont move your heavy weapon, it can still fire at full BS even if the rest of the unit moved. This means in a 5 man Tac squad if you keep the missile launcher still and move the other guys around him the missile still fires as if he had not shot.

The IG are proof that good things come to us who wait. I've been Guard since 3rd ed. I been in the store and remember getting 5 boxes of men (when they came in 20 man boxes) 3 Commissars and praying that I might survive til turn 4. I've stuck it out, and you know what I have to say? WHO'S DYING NOW HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-12, 06:44 PM
Tzeentch laughs at likely

Dave T Hobbit's Flag is: Europe

The BRB has a picture of a unit of Orks in which one is not shooting.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 12:09 AM

Salahaldin's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandergil View Post
I am fairly new to playing 40k. I played a little 5th edition and just started reading the 6th edition rules and I think a rule might have changed regarding how shooting works. In the shooting section, it says when declaring shots, not all members of a unit need to shoot. I thought in 5th edition if your unit chose to shoot, you had to shoot with all the members of the unit that could shoot. This creates a interesting change when you read how cover works I think. Your target gets a cover save if any of your firing models draws a line through the cover. So could you now choose to not fire from the members of the squad that draw a line of fire through the cover? You would get less shots but you would deny the unit cover saves.
Your answer is yes to not all models shooting, and yes to denying someone cover by having models with an obscured shot refrain from shooting. Well spotted, especially for a noob.

"Trying to make some sense of it all,
When I can see it makes no sense at all"

"Fools to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 01:04 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

I hadn't even though to that shenanigan, and I'm usually pretty on top of shenanigans. Here's to you, shenanigan spotter! May your shenanigans profit everyone!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 02:04 AM
Banned
Magpie_Oz's Flag is: Australia

I think you'll find that cover gets allocated on a per model basis so the cover save will be determined upon the model that is getting the wounds allocated to it at the time the wound is allocated. Check Pg 18 "determining Cover Saves"

You could of course not fire people who would incur a cover save at the closest model but once it dies you are probably going to suffer cover from the next guy and you'll have held your shots for no reason.

You can Focus Fire(Pg19) if you want to avoid cover saves.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 02:06 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I plan to abuse this to bypass anyone that tries to 'tank' with a character in the front of unit. Move your unit to the side and then block LoS with a transport or terrain. Suddenly the character has cover from your unit and you can proclaim focus fire on what you see. All your shots will go to what you see, which is not the character.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 02:36 AM

Salahaldin's Flag is: Canada

If your tank blocks LOS, you don't even need Focus Fire, although it's handy if you're just screening the unit with one of your own infantry units.

"Trying to make some sense of it all,
When I can see it makes no sense at all"

"Fools to the left of me,
Jokers to the right,
Here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-12, 02:43 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Focus fire if you play it right means you can pick on parts of the unit, you can focus fire the fist and other special weapons using line of sight blocking tricks. Doing this means only those 2-4 models would take all the shots from your unit. Once people start to consider and play that there is going to be a lot more focus on moving your shit smart and not just charging up the board. I have ML LF, I block LoS to a unit so I only see 2 or 3 models, 5 Krak ID for the win.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode