Dante's power axe - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 10:47 PM
Banned
Sakura_ninja's Flag is: England

Have people not thought that unique means unique?
Master crafted is NOT unique, its a common special rules spread over numerous wrapons
If a weapon had a rule saying it hits on 2+, or it adds D6 attacks, those are unique rules as they ate only found on those weapons making them unusual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 10:50 PM

Stephen_Newman's Flag is: United Kingdom

Back on topic what about Vect's Sceptre?

At the moment it states that it is a power weapon that always wounds on a 3+ and gains rerolls to wound against Eldar or Dark Eldar. Is this an example of a unusual power weapon or a straight up power weapon I could model (tempted by power axe if allwoed)

Also under the Chaos Daemons FAQ it states that Hellblades are are treated as power swords and is specific about this. However I recently bought some of the old metal ones from a friend (I love those giant axes). Would these still count as power swords or do they now count as power axes?

I have recently started a new Blog. I would really appreciate it if you would LOOK AT IT
post #83 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 10:52 PM
Banned

Always wounding on a 3+ and gaining a bonus against eldar is pretty darn unique

post #84 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-09-12, 11:25 PM

Azrell's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura_ninja View Post
Have people not thought that unique means unique?
Master crafted is NOT unique, its a common special rules spread over numerous wrapons
If a weapon had a rule saying it hits on 2+, or it adds D6 attacks, those are unique rules as they ate only found on those weapons making them unusual
Find me another power weapon with the name "The Axe Mortalis" if not, it fits the description of unique. Better still find me a definition of a "unique rule" in the 6th ed book. Because until we can define what "unique rule" specifically means in the context of 6th ed 40k, we are just going in circles.

Also under it can be a power weapon because it has a special rule, so it fits somewhere... lets see if it fits under any other category...

It takes a pack of Wolves to tree a Lion... here is hopping the new DA codex reflects that.

Last edited by Azrell; 07-09-12 at 11:28 PM.
post #85 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 06:33 AM
Banned

What does the name have to do with anything?, its not a rule so does not determine anything, gw probably didn't tell you what unique means because the meaning is in a dictionary, so unique rules are one of a kind, have no equal, which Dante does not have any, its just a master crafted axe, that's it.

Last edited by Sakura_ninja; 07-10-12 at 06:36 AM.
post #86 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 07:15 AM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

At the risk of being sigged out of context <ahem> I agree with Sakura 100%
On this particular subject ;-) Seriously, she's got the correct handle on the rules.

It doesn't say 'if the weapon has a unique name' it says 'unique RULES'

There's no other weapon out there with that name, but that doesn't mean it's an 'unusual' weapon with 'unique' rules. I can write 'Ouchmaker' on the side of a Power Axe model, and write in my army list that my captain's axe is named Ouchmaker...that doesn;t mean it;s not an axe. It doesn;t make it unique or unusual in any way.

Rules-wise Dante's axe is absolutely no different from any other master-crafted power axe. And it's downright silly to claim that it's somehow impossible to master-craft an axe or spear or other non sword-shaped weapon, because that's what you're doing. If it's a Master Crafted Axe then somehow it's no longer an Axe?

Your point has already been brought up and dismissed by myself and others in this and other threads.

The rules for unusual power weapons require UNIQUE RULES
While a particularly stubborn player may argue that any power weapon with any special rule is no longer a power weapon, absolutely nothing makes it an unusual power weapon if it doesn't have any unique rules.

Remember, the class is 'unusual power weapons' not 'unique.' just because a WEAPON is unique (Yes, it's the only axe with that name), does not mean that its RULES are.

A unique weapon with no unique rules is NOT an unusual power weapon. A mass-produced weapon with its own unique set of rules IS an unusual power weapon.

Also, here's another thing to consider: Capitalization matters with GW
'Special Rules' with caps refers specifically to rules from the 'Special Rules' section of the book. There's no other thing it could possibly mean.
'special rules' without caps MAY refer to Special Rules, or it may just refer to rules which happen to be special or unusual in some way.

That's why every single time a specific rule is referenced it's always capitalized, to avoid confusing common words and phrases with specific rules.

I'm a BA player and I hate the fact that Dante's I6 has been wasted but I'm not going to pretend that a Power Weapon that is both named as and modeled as an Axe, with absolutely no unusual or unique rules is not a Power Axe

Dante's Axe is a master-crafted power weapon. Master Crafted is not a UNIQUE rule, therefore it is in absolutely NO WAY an 'Unusual Power Weapon'. If you want to get picky and argue that being Master Crafted means it isn;t a Power Weapon either, that's fine, you can count it as a plain old CCW in your games.

But in my book (the big one with all the rules in it), a Power Weapon that is not Unusual, is a Power Weapon per the normal rules for Power Weapon.
'special rules' does not always mean 'Special Rules' and just having special rules does not mean it's unique.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

Last edited by Galahad; 07-10-12 at 07:23 AM.
post #87 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 10:52 AM
Token Trans Mod

Zion's Flag is: USA

I think Sakura and Galahad have touched on it nicely: the name of the weapon isn't as important as the rules it has when determining if it's an unusual weapon or not.

If you can find the rules for the weapon (like Master Crafted or Armourbane) in the main rule book, it isn't an unusual power weapon, it's one of the regular power weapons. If those rules however are not available in the main rulebook and only exist in your codex, then they're special and the weapon counts as unusual.

Case in point: Dante's super awesome axe is still just a power axe since all of it's rules are defined in the rulebook. However Logan's axe has special rules defined only in the Space Wolf codex and thus is an unusual power weapon. Two different axes, two different ways they're written and two different results because of it.
post #88 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 12:31 PM
Senior Moderator

DeathKlokk's Flag is: USA

Also, the plenty of weapons out there with cool names that just counts as a power weapon. Are they "unusual power weapons" because they have a name?

No.

I love how this is all credited to Gal and Sak_N. When Aramoro and I said this on page 1. lol

Strange, but not a Stranger.
post #89 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
I love how this is all credited to Gal and Sak_N. When Aramoro and I said this on page 1. lol
I really don't know how this got to page 8, normtheunsavoury gave the right answer in the second post in the thread.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #90 of 199 (permalink) Old 07-10-12, 12:36 PM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

I brought up Logan's axe and other things got involved.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode