Necron Night Scythe the worst transport in the game? - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 06:59 AM

Kelann08's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
I am not implying that pissing off the opponent is a good thing. It might make it very hard for you to find a game if you run such a broken list. What I'm saying is, it is in fact broken, and your enemy will get angry, so you might as well enjoy it before changing your list to ensure people will still play you at all.

The list is engineered to win, and win it will, which is what will piss your enemy off. In a WAAC competitive environment, this is irrelevant because winning is the only item on the plate.
I don't equate building a list to win with building a list to piss people off though the two are not mutually exclusive. If you're in that environment, its pretty much expected. I'll play tournaments but I'll play for funsies and to see people, etc. If you put yourself in that arena, you better expect that kind of list. But making it, regardless of where you play it, just to frustrate and annoy is just fucked up.

~600 points of Necrons - Phase 1
1500 points of Imperial Fists - Pictures Coming Soon

Do you live in the Dallas, TX area and love tabletop tactica? Check out Dallas Area Wargamers on Facebook.
We are working to become a community of wargamers from all over the area as well as a resource for those looking to enter wargaming for the first time.

The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us.
Fear our name, for it is vengeance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 07:20 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

I don't think the Night Scythe is bad. It's the only transport that can move that far and still deploy something. And the embarked unit can fire when it gets out. The FAQ says if the Night Scythe moved 24" or less they can shoot normally, between 24" and 36", they can snap fire. Lychguard can survive the turn they can't assault. It does stink that it can't carry Jump Infantry and Jet Bikes now, as it specifically mentions how to carry them. Perhaps that's an over-site. I see no reason why Jump Infantry and Jet Bikes could not "leap up" to embark. Or maybe Invasion Beams should work in reverse too; who knows.

But at least those on-board won't suffer a gruesome, S10 death when it goes down. It makes me seriously re-consider my Storm Raven for my Blood Angels. Too much can go wrong.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 07:26 AM

Kelann08's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon Dan View Post
I see no reason why Jump Infantry and Jet Bikes could not "leap up" to embark.
I got a great image of a unit of Triarch Praetorians leaping up to embark and the Night Scythe earning its name by decapitating all of them. As their bodiless heads plummet to the ground...

Toby: Did you account for target velocity when you jumped?
Dave: Nope.
Toby: Dammit, Dave...

~600 points of Necrons - Phase 1
1500 points of Imperial Fists - Pictures Coming Soon

Do you live in the Dallas, TX area and love tabletop tactica? Check out Dallas Area Wargamers on Facebook.
We are working to become a community of wargamers from all over the area as well as a resource for those looking to enter wargaming for the first time.

The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us.
Fear our name, for it is vengeance.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 09:17 AM

Pandora's Flag is: USA

Getting really tired of units moving faster than the "fastest army in the game." I understand that Necrons perform raids too, but Dark Eldar have perfected striking like lightning. We strike so quick and leave so few wittnesses that many mistake our raids for regular Eldar attacks and that pleases us.

Evil is like shadow. It hides in the tiny cracks, biding its time until the Light fades.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 11:52 AM

Madden's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sure necros move fast once!(except one unit per turn for monolith) Where as the true eldar can keep it up all game.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
Hmm, made a new list with 2 units of 10 Lychguards in Night Scythes joined by my Overlord with Warscythe and 1 Lord with Warscythe in each. So basically 23 models with Warscythes will be jumping into the Tyranid deployment zone. Only problem is that every single one of his gaunts will have poison weapons so ignore my toughness 5.

I really wish there was a lord that made Flayed Ones Troops, then you could make a complete close combat Necron army...

We are playing 1850pts. Got 6 units of 5 Necron Warriors, because I had to fill out slots as you can only deploy 50% of your units in reserve.
Quick note- unless I misunderstand your list you only need 3 units of Warriors. A unit in a Dedicated Transport only counts as one unit for this purpose. (p. 124) So your two units of Lychguards are 2 choices, the Overlord and Court are another choice. (Or maybe 2 more choices, don't have the Necron book so not sure on that front.)
Anyway, you have 3, or at most 4 units in Reserve for the purposes of the 50% rule, not 6.

Armies and other stuff:
http://majere613.deviantart.com/
Short stories and writing:
http://thetheleniccurriculum.blogspot.co.uk/
My novel, The Wake of Manadar, on Kindle:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...=1&*entries*=0
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 11:57 AM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Units can move before embarking, right? So it should not be too hard to embark on a Nightscythe even if it is zooming.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklove View Post
Units can move before embarking, right? So it should not be too hard to embark on a Nightscythe even if it is zooming.
You cannot Embark in a Zooming Flyer.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 12:05 PM

darklove's Flag is: United Kingdom

Interesting to have a transport that you can't get into at all... Perhaps this will be updated in the revised FAQ for the Invasion Beam.

All that is important is known.
Praxis
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 12:07 PM

Please tell me that the FAQ will have the 'Run Away' beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by neferhet View Post
Fur is for the weak!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode