Necron Night Scythe the worst transport in the game? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
being able to move units from one end of the board to the other in 2 turns.
Yeah but only 1 unit. That's 100 points for every unit you want to move 36" (it can't shoot or assault when it exits). If you wanted to transport more it would take 4 turns just to get back where you came from as you can only turn 90 degrees each turn. It takes 3 turns just to turn around, then it would take another 3 turns to get across the board again.

More than likely you would have gotten shot down before this or ended up off the board.

If you think of going off board to enter ongoing reserves:
If you roll a 3+ and enter on turn 2, zoom 36", drop of a model. Trun 2 get off the board, turn 3 enter the board again a going back to your deployment, turn 4 pick up a unit, 5 off the board, 6 turbo boost across the board.

Picking up a non dedicated unit on your side of the board (turn 2 if you got it in) and then dropping it off next turn (3), after this there is basically no chance to pick up more units unless they were basically in your opponents zone already (which could pretty much only happen through outflank or deepstrike).

You can deepstrike with all jump infantry, jetbikes could just turbo boost the same distance. So which unit would be overpowered to do this with? Flayed Ones? They can Infiltrate or Outflank as it is.
Deploying a unit of Overlords or Crypteks is pretty much the only thing that could even be considered OP as it's the only unit that can't already get to the other side fast. Then again you can put them in a Ghost Ark and just drive them there by turn 2 anyway now that I think about it...

Last edited by MadCowCrazy; 07-06-12 at 12:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 12:48 AM
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Flyer picks up unit at point A
Flyer moves 36 inches next turn and dumps unit.

I think that is what he was suggesting.

Edit: Pretty much flyer comes on board and dumps it's unit, depending on the deployment it could do this at an angle and end up near the center of the board. It grabs the next unit and dumps it on the far side of the board next turn.

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 02:16 AM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
Yeah but only 1 unit. That's 100 points for every unit you want to move 36" (it can't shoot or assault when it exits). If you wanted to transport more it would take 4 turns just to get back where you came from as you can only turn 90 degrees each turn. It takes 3 turns just to turn around, then it would take another 3 turns to get across the board again.

More than likely you would have gotten shot down before this or ended up off the board.

If you think of going off board to enter ongoing reserves:
If you roll a 3+ and enter on turn 2, zoom 36", drop of a model. Trun 2 get off the board, turn 3 enter the board again a going back to your deployment, turn 4 pick up a unit, 5 off the board, 6 turbo boost across the board.

Picking up a non dedicated unit on your side of the board (turn 2 if you got it in) and then dropping it off next turn (3), after this there is basically no chance to pick up more units unless they were basically in your opponents zone already (which could pretty much only happen through outflank or deepstrike).

You can deepstrike with all jump infantry, jetbikes could just turbo boost the same distance. So which unit would be overpowered to do this with? Flayed Ones? They can Infiltrate or Outflank as it is.
Deploying a unit of Overlords or Crypteks is pretty much the only thing that could even be considered OP as it's the only unit that can't already get to the other side fast. Then again you can put them in a Ghost Ark and just drive them there by turn 2 anyway now that I think about it...
The issue is when you can very easily fit 6 of them in a list you have ridiculous mobility and are still sporting and firing one of the best guns in the game. it's too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 02:34 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

If for 100 points someone said to me I could take a flyer with 4 S7 shots that generate a further two hits for every 6 you hit with, and can reroll misses, followed by rolling a dice for every nearby unit, and on a six, doing d6 hits to them as well, but at the expense of it havo
ing to be a dedicated transport that can only deploy one unit, Id jump at the chance.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Hmm, made a new list with 2 units of 10 Lychguards in Night Scythes joined by my Overlord with Warscythe and 1 Lord with Warscythe in each. So basically 23 models with Warscythes will be jumping into the Tyranid deployment zone. Only problem is that every single one of his gaunts will have poison weapons so ignore my toughness 5.

I really wish there was a lord that made Flayed Ones Troops, then you could make a complete close combat Necron army...

We are playing 1850pts. Got 6 units of 5 Necron Warriors, because I had to fill out slots as you can only deploy 50% of your units in reserve.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 02:59 AM

Iron Angel's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmuffin View Post
No, you aren't playing by the rules, because the rules say you cannot embark. Possibly for balance reasons, since you can take a shit load of them and they are incredibly difficult to kill. Your posts do nothing but make other users dislike you, maybe you should consider lightening up a little and contributing to the conversation instead of whinging about the forum or telling us how much we all suck.

However, i suspect that the night scythes were not quite designed with this in mind, but it does provide a little bit of balance considering how difficult it is to down them. otherwise we would see you picking up a unit and moving 30 inches, then moving another 30 and dumping them off, it is almost too much speed for the game, being able to move units from one end of the board to the other in 2 turns.
Because you can't take a unit 60 inches in a single turn with a monolith.

post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 04:35 AM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Because you can't take a unit 60 inches in a single turn with a monolith.
Again, a unit, not 6+ units. plus the lith is slow to advance so they won't be in prime position

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 05:56 AM

Monolith can also deep strike and with the new deep strike rules, 1: Skimmers that end a move over enemy models move the minimum distance to not be over enemy models, and 2: deep striking vehicles count as moving. Monolith deep strike immunity is back, even if Monolith IC squishing is not.

I'm just saying. I would take a lith over a scythe any day for lots of reasons. With 6th they have once again found a place in my Heavy slots. Oh how I missed my big slow deathbricks.

At 2k you can take 6 monoliths.

Holy hell... Hexalith drop anyone?

back to the subject at hand.

Nightscythes: Worst at being a transport? Probably. Worst transport option? Hell to the NO. You can fit five Night Scythes into a 1000 point game. An overlord with a couple crypteks, and five units of five warriors each, all with night scythes as transports. Just don't start the warriors in the night scythes- Or do, that will work too. Congratulations, you just brought five of the most powerful fliers in the game to a 1k match. The warriors should just walk over to objectives while the night scythes obliterate his army (Or the night scythes should drop them off if you start them inside). That will be important if somehow he manages to have anything left at turn 5.

Is a five scythe list at 1k really cheesy? Yes. Are people going to hate your guts? Yes. Is it a really, really competitive list? Yes. Will it win at tourneys? Someone should try it.

Fun note, do that twice, and you have a ten scythe 2k list. Get out your best trollface and watch your enemy rage.

Last edited by Iron Angel; 07-06-12 at 06:55 AM.
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 06:50 AM

Kelann08's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Angel View Post
Fun note, do that twice, and you have a ten scythe 2k list. Get out your best trollface and watch your enemy rage.
While I am not implying you would do this, it is very unfortunate that people would feel the desire to build a list to intentionally piss off their opponent. Trolling on the internet is sad enough as it is, do people really need to troll IRL?

~600 points of Necrons - Phase 1
1500 points of Imperial Fists - Pictures Coming Soon

Do you live in the Dallas, TX area and love tabletop tactica? Check out Dallas Area Wargamers on Facebook.
We are working to become a community of wargamers from all over the area as well as a resource for those looking to enter wargaming for the first time.

The Emperor commands us. Dorn guides us. Honour shields us.
Fear our name, for it is vengeance.

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-06-12, 06:52 AM

I am not implying that pissing off the opponent is a good thing. It might make it very hard for you to find a game if you run such a broken list. What I'm saying is, it is in fact broken, and your enemy will get angry, so you might as well enjoy it before changing your list to ensure people will still play you at all.

The list is engineered to win, and win it will, which is what will piss your enemy off. In a WAAC competitive environment, this is irrelevant because winning is the only item on the plate.

I would never run it because its not fluffy. Maybe if I ran a Wayfarer-centric list I would run scythes, but it wouldn't just be a mob of scythes and nothing else. There would be tomb blades, annihilation barges, things like that too.

Last edited by Iron Angel; 07-06-12 at 06:55 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode