Death Ray and Fliers - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 08:18 PM

I get the hits one or the other thing because it is the rule of skyfire, and that makes perfect sense - but does anyone know if it makes like a wall laser beam or not - that probably doesn't make any sense. Because if it does then in theory it should, for now I'm probably going to go for shoot at the ground or flyers, but I think they need to FAQ it just to make things clear.

Me: To be honest im amazed there isn't a chaos god of not revising or at least chaos god of procrastination

MidnightSun: There will be, when enough people do it. Y'know when the Eldar were all engaging in their hedonism and Slaanesh ripped open the Eye of Terror with his creation? Slaanesh will have NOTHING on the God of Procrastination, and his vile minions will carve the galaxy asunder in a thousand year reign of blood.... Tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 08:34 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcoso View Post
I get the hits one or the other thing because it is the rule of skyfire
That's for shots fired at a target, and only works with the 'skyfire' rule. Fliers don't have that ruleset (they can shoot at either ground or fliers with no penalties... if they can split fire like the storm raven with PotMS they can fire at both in the same phase with no penalty).

Death Ray is just 'draw a line, hit what's under it'... its an incredibly simple rule which doesn't make fluff sense so it seems people are trying to make it more complex by including their own 'rules'... which is fine, but they are house rules, not 6th ed core.

post #23 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Another question, the Doom Scythe also has Tesla Destructors. So can the tesla jump to a flyer or from a flyer to a ground or other flyer?

post #24 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 09:21 PM

It seems you can Death Ray fliers.

Just as I can Vibrocannon them out of the sky, pew pew.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #25 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 09:52 PM

OMNOMNOMIVORE's Flag is: Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
Another question, the Doom Scythe also has Tesla Destructors. So can the tesla jump to a flyer or from a flyer to a ground or other flyer?
the weapon profile says nothing about unit type mattering, so i guess it can jump from air to ground or ground to air.

aperture science-we do what we must because we can
when you say "jesus" backwards it sounds like "sausage"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboot View Post
In the enthusiastic brightness of the near future, there is only skipping. tra la la la la
post #26 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-05-12, 10:18 PM

Taggerung's Flag is: USA

I suppose so it can jump, assuming you can make the short range to another unit.

Check out my DKOK Project Log!

Armies : Raven Lords Chapter, 219th Siege Regiment and Da Grotteef Waaaaghhhh

Currently Painting : 219th Siege Regiment, about 25% done! Last updated 3/7/2013
post #27 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 03:40 PM

Sorry guys, DR cannot hit flyers. I posted this on Beasts of War earlier today... I hope this makes sense to everyone. It unfortunately requires multiple sections to reveal the rule but at least it shows that sixth really does cover everything, even if in a convoluted manner.

Pg. 81 “Shots resolved at a zooming flyer can ONLY be resolved as snap shots (unless the model or weapon has the skyfire special rule, as described on page 42) – Since we know the deathray doesn’t have skyfire we have to go off the basis the flyer itself has skyfire so let’s check skyfire rules.

Pg. 42 “A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule fires using its normal ballistic skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying monstrous creatures, and skimmers… (then something about shooting snap shots elsewhere, unimportant)” – Hmm, but the deathray doesn’t use ballistic skill so obviously it can’t benefit from skyfire rules so lets see how snap fire works.

Pg. 13 “If a model is forced to make snap shots rather than shoot normally, then it’s ballistic skill is counted as being 1 for the purposes of those shots” (right now you are saying, who cares, I don’t need a BS to hit with a line!) “Some weapon types, such as Template and Ordinance, or those that have certain special rules, such as a blast, cannot be fired as Snap Shots. It’s important to note that ANY shooting attack that does not use BS (reference Necron Monolith’s Portal) cannot be ‘fired’ as a snap shot.”

So let’s recount, 1. Shots resolved at (not rolled to hit, resolved) can only happen as snap shots without skyfire. 2. Skyfire allows full BS 3. Weapons that don’t use a BS can NEVER be fired as snap shots.

Sorry, I think the same rules will apply to vibro cannon, beam weapons, etc... the only thing I'm a little weary of challenging is the psychic power "crush" because of the wording.
post #28 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 03:45 PM

As for the arc, I would agree. It should jump from ground to air and vice versa... pretty nasty if you target a unit and then somehow kill the flyer it's near too.
post #29 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 04:00 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

But I'm not snap shotting the Death Ray. I'm firing it as one of my normal BS weapons. Since it has skyfire, it's not "snap Shotted" and no rules for snap shot are involved.
post #30 of 135 (permalink) Old 07-16-12, 04:04 PM

OMNOMNOMIVORE's Flag is: Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperors Knights View Post
Sorry guys, DR cannot hit flyers. I posted this on Beasts of War earlier today... I hope this makes sense to everyone. It unfortunately requires multiple sections to reveal the rule but at least it shows that sixth really does cover everything, even if in a convoluted manner.

Pg. 81 “Shots resolved at a zooming flyer can ONLY be resolved as snap shots (unless the model or weapon has the skyfire special rule, as described on page 42) – Since we know the deathray doesn’t have skyfire we have to go off the basis the flyer itself has skyfire so let’s check skyfire rules.

Pg. 42 “A model with this special rule, or that is firing a weapon with this special rule fires using its normal ballistic skill when shooting at Flyers, Flying monstrous creatures, and skimmers… (then something about shooting snap shots elsewhere, unimportant)” – Hmm, but the deathray doesn’t use ballistic skill so obviously it can’t benefit from skyfire rules so lets see how snap fire works.

Pg. 13 “If a model is forced to make snap shots rather than shoot normally, then it’s ballistic skill is counted as being 1 for the purposes of those shots” (right now you are saying, who cares, I don’t need a BS to hit with a line!) “Some weapon types, such as Template and Ordinance, or those that have certain special rules, such as a blast, cannot be fired as Snap Shots. It’s important to note that ANY shooting attack that does not use BS (reference Necron Monolith’s Portal) cannot be ‘fired’ as a snap shot.”

So let’s recount, 1. Shots resolved at (not rolled to hit, resolved) can only happen as snap shots without skyfire. 2. Skyfire allows full BS 3. Weapons that don’t use a BS can NEVER be fired as snap shots.

Sorry, I think the same rules will apply to vibro cannon, beam weapons, etc... the only thing I'm a little weary of challenging is the psychic power "crush" because of the wording.
the problem with that logic is that not only do beams not use a BS, but they dont even target units. you simply choose a point on the board for the line to extend to, and the beam hits everything under it. you dont take snap shots with the ray, you slap it down, and everything it touches goes boom.

aperture science-we do what we must because we can
when you say "jesus" backwards it sounds like "sausage"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboot View Post
In the enthusiastic brightness of the near future, there is only skipping. tra la la la la
Closed Thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode