Eldar Skimmer/wargear q&a - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-07, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Default Eldar Skimmer/wargear q&a

My black legion army got its ass handed to itself fighting the eldar. Whats the best way top fight an army with lots of skimmers , there was some kind of wargear that made me roll 2 dice and take the lowest for vehicle damage. This totally Screwed me over in the end of the game. And he also would disembark, fire and then rembark....this sounds way illegal and not cool. My Armies (actually my buddies) only anti tank units are the defiler, raptor with melta, and termie with chainfist and combimelta.

My marshal told me to tell you to say that to his face.....

-Heath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-07, 08:12 PM

Sounds like he was packing Holofield (Falcon/fire Prism only!), basically once you damage the skimmer you roll 2 x D6 and take the lowest result, If he has spirit stones your going to need a 4+ on both dice to cause any decent damage.
As far as the disembark/re-embark that sounds a bit dodgy to me, the skimmer can move up to 12" then the occupants can get out and shoot (not move/assault) they can't re-embark till the following turn so will be prone to getting shot/assaulted In you turn.
As for taking them down I'd recommend tank-hunting Autocannons, If you have access to them there probably the best weapon In the game to take them down and only chaos has the option to field them.
If you need any further help/advice give me a shout.
Good luck!

''I Beard therefore I am!''

LongBeard (AKA Bennetio!)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-07, 11:08 PM

Aye, anything that can cause lots of glancing hits is good against skimmers.

That's Mr.Tau uk to you ;op
"I choose spam. You could thinly slice this thread, fry it, cover it in ketchup and make a sandwich of dubious nutritional value."
-Anaethma

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 12:23 AM

Infiltrate autocannons possible with tank hunter are good as you can then make sure you can get side or rear shots if you get the first turn, and even if not it can help to force your opp out of cover. If you have Oblits they can be good, depending on how much high ap your opp is packing. With the falcon its likely to be a fair amount and the pulse laser is an ideal oblit killers think carefully about those. Basically you want Lots of shots with str6-10 and more shots is generally better than high str

Check out my gamer Blog
http://gamergeekery.blogspot.co.uk/2...rs-in-40k.html

Jezlad "I actually commented that Jigplums list was the least scary list I faced. Then took a pasting"
http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/jigplums
http://www.coolminiornot.com/160095
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Now this isnt my army, so autocannons are good? Arnt they str7 heavy 2?
doesnt sound like a tankbusting unit to me. Am i Thinking of the wrong gun.....?

My marshal told me to tell you to say that to his face.....

-Heath
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 06:29 AM
Banned

Yes, but unlike, say, Imperial Guard or Space Marine vehicles. These are lightly armoured but with durability in the form of special stuff. As a result, you're better off with a larger number of weaker shots than a few light ones. In terms of destroying Eldar vehicles, the Autocannon is the predominant gun by a significant margin, in every case.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 09:35 AM
anathema's Flag is: England

As an Eldar player who fields 4 skimmers, I can tell you right away that you cannot disembark then reembark in the same turn. That is most definitely illegal. Ask him to support it in the rules, he won't be able to.
Remember that the 2-dice wargear (holo-fields) can only be used by Falcons and Fire Prisms (well maybe Vypers can, but you really shouldn't). If he claims it with Wave Serpents, thats wrong also. They have their own special rules, but they can't mix and match.

Onto beating Eldar, 8 havocs sp0rting 4tank-hunting autocannons are to be feared. 8 S8 BS4 shots will cause enough glances to a holo-fielded tank to have a damn good chance of killing it. Infiltrating them is useful to get first turn penetrating hits, but they will then likely get blasted away by the entire remaining Eldar army, so having them in your gunline in a spot with good lines of fire is often just as good unless you have a large amount of infiltrators. Bear in mind that the Eldar player will likely manouvre to avoid their shooting, so you can play accordingly, or will try and destroy them with overwhelming firepower or assault. Castling isuseful to avoid this.
In Gamma games, deploying to be able to get first turn shots is useful as you can then pen the skimmers,the only chance you'll get. Infiltrators are very good for this.
In Omega games, castling your shooting can be very useful too.
Hope this helps.
In Omega, you've just got
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 11:50 AM

And for Marines?

Ass cannon springs to mind, but it does for nearly everything...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 12:10 PM

Ass cannons are bad ass against skimmers - especially when tankhunting. Personally I always seem to end up with my skimmers going down to the humble plasma gun. Tank hunting, double plasma command squads are quite brutal when up close and nasty - through drop pods and rhinos. Even your standard 8 man double plasma tac squad is pretty bad ass at close range.

Failing that, the amount of lascannons your average tourney marine list seems to pack is usually sufficeinet to put the wind up me.

That's Mr.Tau uk to you ;op
"I choose spam. You could thinly slice this thread, fry it, cover it in ketchup and make a sandwich of dubious nutritional value."
-Anaethma
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-19-07, 08:47 PM
Banned

yea an AS would be horrible.

the lovely tank hunting autocannon. beautiful.

of course this would all be easier to do if gw hadnt made skimmers better by adjusting the damage tables.

jigplums im not sure how youre getting a rear shot. in fact it should be physically impossible, unless your opponent turns his skimmers backwards.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode