Flanking confusion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Default Flanking confusion

hi, ive rather embarressingly been completely thrown off by this outflanking that everyone seems to be doing nowadays, especially with IG. Can any unit outflank? or is it only specific units that can perform this?

I'd faced the servants of the Great Enemy more often than I cared to contemplate, and in my experience it was never wise to underestimate them. Particularly a Ten thousand year old madman, who'd been marinating himself in the raw stuff of Chaos for most of that time.

Caiphas Cain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 05:06 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

There are a variety of ways for units to gain the ability to Outflank. The two most common are by having the Scout or Infiltrate USR. Some armies have special rules/characters that can also grant the ability to Outflank. So no, it is not an 'any unit' thing, but I could easily put together an IG army where the entire army could Outflank.

Don "MONDO"
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 05:18 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yup. For the most part, the only units that can outflank are those with the Scouts USR - see the BRB, where it details the use of Outflank for arriving from reserves. There are occasional exceptions e.g. Captain Al'Rahem or Castellan Creed who can grant Outflank to various units.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 07:53 PM

don_mondo's Flag is: USA

Actually, Creed grants Scouts USr, which unlocks the ability to Outflank. Slight difference, but same end result if you want to Outflank the unit he gives it to.

Don "MONDO"
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 08:30 PM

Loki1416's Flag is: USA

Not to hijack the thread, but gonna throw another question into it. If you space out two 10 man squads along one flank, one inch from the board edge, does that mean anything coming on from that edge becomes destroyed as it cant be placed as it would be within one inch of an enemy model? I've been playing Nids a lot lately, and I'm trying to figure out how to deny them their out flanking. He uses some unit that he gets to pick a specific piece of terrain that they "come out of" but I stop that by covering terrain with units or massed storm bolter coverage. Just that his weight of numbers is kicking my butt.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 08:50 PM
Spanner in the works...

spanner94ezekiel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Unless the outflanking unit is a vehicle, then yes. It works just like moving on from your own edge, from reserves - you can be destroyed if you can't fit on the board. However if you're a vehicle, you can just tank shock.

The Black Typhoons | Dark Angels 3rd Company | Tharrus Draw's Warband | Dark Angels' Corner | Codices: Marvel Heroes and Marvel Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Spanner's got some great advice as well... Listen to that wise man.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 08:51 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

If you completely block a board edge then anything that can't 'jump' over the line can't enter play.... but its a really really arsy thing to do and not something I suggest. It also doesn't really work if there are nids on the board- if they cause even the smallest hole in your line then the flankers can enter play and you'll have just handed them a free charge.

This sort of thing made the rounds about a year back when someone reserved their whole army against a Tau gunline... only to have kroot infiltrate along their entire board edge and end the game without a single dice being rolled.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 10:41 PM
Ancient Relic

mcmuffin's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki1416 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but gonna throw another question into it. If you space out two 10 man squads along one flank, one inch from the board edge, does that mean anything coming on from that edge becomes destroyed as it cant be placed as it would be within one inch of an enemy model? I've been playing Nids a lot lately, and I'm trying to figure out how to deny them their out flanking. He uses some unit that he gets to pick a specific piece of terrain that they "come out of" but I stop that by covering terrain with units or massed storm bolter coverage. Just that his weight of numbers is kicking my butt.
Perfectly legit as long as you stay in coherency, and indeed a good move. Not arsy either imo, it is a good tactical option to deny their outflanking, plus you have to be able to do it, if youcan't infiltrate it will take you 3-4 turns. When you are doing it, make sure there is only a tiny gap between the units

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMuffin's Law
As an online discussion about 40k grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Squats approaches 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKlokk View Post
Keep in mind you are arguing "realism" about an army of genetically-altered supermen that are able to shrug off rocket propelled explosive bullets because someone is waving around a cup full of blood that reminds them of their long lost Super Daddy that was killed by there Extra Special-Super Uncle.
Space Wolves Tournament Results W:24 D:8 L:8
Jaws-ing my way to victory

Last edited by mcmuffin; 06-02-12 at 10:45 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-02-12, 11:11 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

If trying to block the board edge, you need to ensure they don't have enough room to fit on in single-file. You need to have your models about 1.8" from each edge, and the full 2" from each other. Obviously you have 2" either side to table edges and between units, it's just easier for arguments on people inexperienced enough to identify this in advance.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-03-12, 06:20 AM

Archon Dan's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim/Steve View Post
If you completely block a board edge then anything that can't 'jump' over the line can't enter play.... but its a really really arsy thing to do and not something I suggest. It also doesn't really work if there are nids on the board- if they cause even the smallest hole in your line then the flankers can enter play and you'll have just handed them a free charge.

This sort of thing made the rounds about a year back when someone reserved their whole army against a Tau gunline... only to have kroot infiltrate along their entire board edge and end the game without a single dice being rolled.
That is a really crazy situation. Amazing.

"Fetch me another plaything. This one seems to have broken." -Urien Rakarth

Space Marine- "This planet is ours, witch."
Eldar- "No ... This planet is theirs ..."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode