How do you speed up rules lookups at the table? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Default How do you speed up rules lookups at the table?

I always find myself thumbing through the rules for something during a battle. Having a bunch of printouts and jotted notes sometimes makes it quicker but I always forget something.

How do you handle your rules lookups? Any special tricks that help speed them up? maybe a large dry erase board with some reminders? Do you have a photographic memory that allows you to recall all rules? If you do, can you come to my house and stand there and quote rules whilst I battle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 01:33 PM

Sounds bigheaded, but I can remember most of the rules, if i don't no it i just ask who ever I'm playing with. The only time I particularly need to use the rulebook, is if a rule needs clarifiying. As far as tips go, just play the game for a while, and the rules will eventually stick in till you can remeber them all!

"Let the galaxy burn!"
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 01:59 PM

I have my little Macragge rulebook with a bunch of those colored tabs for certain rules or tables that I never remember.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

oh yes those colored post-it tabs! I have a ton of those! I will definitely utilize those as well as my macragge book!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:04 PM
Inquisitor

Bishop120's Flag is: USA

Bathroom time makes for great reading I personally memorize a lot of the rules and re-read them a hundred times. Even if I know a rule when I write a response to rules queries here I will look up the rule just to verify that I am correct in justifying a rule questions.

If it comes down to a debate between you and your opponent about a rule though where yall cant aggree the outcome of a set of rules then the quickest thing is to flip a coin and go with the outcome and just press on with the game. No use in arguing a rule to death and loosing all fun of playing the game.

"The warrior who acts out of honor cannot fail. His honour is duty itself. Even his death - if it is honourable - is a reward and can be no failure, for it has come through duty. Seek honour as you act, therefore, and you will know no fear."

- Roboute Guilliman
Primarch of the Ultramarines
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 02:55 PM
Executive Nitpicker

Galahad's Flag is: USA

I appear from smoke, recite the rule (with page number) and then vanish into the night. Takes about ten or fifteen seconds, but sometimes the smoke makes people cough for a bit.

-=============]xxxxo Galahad oxxxx[=============-
Check out the Heresy Combat Calculator -- MathHammer Made Easy!

Codex: Angels Errant. Read it, please.
Heresy Forum Rules -- Read them, damnit!
Reporting: When/How/Why -- Read that too!
"...remember the Golden Rule: Chill out, they're only plastic spacemen!" -Brother Jazzman
"Galahad is 100% correct in his explanation. Anyone who says otherwise to [him] is vastly mistaken." -The Wraithlord
"You know what? Fuck DC comics." -Robert Downey Junior

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-08, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I appear from smoke, recite the rule (with page number) and then vanish into the night. Takes about ten or fifteen seconds, but sometimes the smoke makes people cough for a bit.

the WH40k Wizard!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-17-08, 09:41 PM

Son of mortarion's Flag is: USA

Location: Running a dark mechanicus forgeworld somewhere in the warp

I keep a cheat sheet for the most common problems, and the mini rule book for anything stickier available during play.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-08, 08:24 PM

well I don't get to play as much as i want to so i constantly read the small rulebook and just think of any weird situations that could come up, find them in the rulebook, mark them plus using the index at the back

If you shit in one hand and wish in the other we all know which one will fill up faster.

And as I walk in the valley of the shadow of death I will have no fear For I am the scariest mother f*cker in that goddamned valley!

Damn nature, You Scary!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-08, 08:40 PM
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

It's largely from having played the game as long as I have, but I just sort of know the rules. Half the time, we don't even bother having a rulebook on hand-- we all know the to-hit chart, the vehicle damage tables, and all that fun stuff, and we know the game by heart, so on the odd occasion something comes up, we just sort of fudge it and worry about it later. Most of the time, we followed the rules unknowingly.

If you're going to ask, "Gee, how'd you learn the rules to that level?" my answer is thus-- first, play the game for most of a decade. Second, sit down with the rulebook, just as if it were a textbook for school, and study it. Give yourself quizzes. You don't have to know it perfectly-- I'd shoot for knowing about 85-95% of the rules section, which isn't that long, really. It's mostly pictures. Get some spare models, set up the diagrams, and look at it that way, rather than just looking at the pictures-- somehow, it's a better learning tool. Spend some time playing games. There's a difference between playing a game and fighting a battle, so to speak-- in one instance, you're just screwing around with your buddies, and it shouldn't matter in the slightest whether you win or not. Have a drink, relax, and try to memorize the rules as you play. In the other, you're trying to claim that cash prize for a three-round tournament.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode