Necron Special Character rules? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-11, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Default Necron Special Character rules?

I've been going trough my Necron codex trying to think of new strategies, 2 interesting questions popped up in my head involving different special characters and their special abilities.

Anrakyr the Traveller
Mind in the Machine: At the start of your Shooting phase, chose an enemy vehicle within 18" and in Anrakyrs line of sight and roll a D6. On a roll of 3+, Anrakyr overrides the targeting system in that vehicle - you can immediately shoot with it as if it were your unit. The vehicle cannot alter its facing, and fires as if it had not moved. For the purposes of this attack, ignore any crew stunned or crew shaken results the target is suffering from - but destroyed weapons cannot be fired. Once these shooting attacks have been resolved, the vehicle returns to your opponent's control.

Pretty easy rule to understand but here is the question, what happens if I target a Doom Scythe with this ability, can I place the markers so that it actually attacks itself? Place the first marker in front of the Doom Scythe and the second point behind it. Can it basically destroy itself? Can it also shoot it's other weapons at itself?

Death ray: To fire the death ray, nommate a point on
the battlefield anywhere within the weapon's range. then
nominate a second point within 3D6" of the first. Then, draw
a straight line between the two points. Every unit (friendly or
enemy) underneath the line suffers a number of hits equal to
the number of models in the unit underneath the line. If the
vehicle's other weaponry is fired in the same shooting phase,
it must be fired at one of the units hit by the death ray.

-------------------------------------
Imotekh the Stormlord
Bloodswarm nanoscarabs: At the start of the first game turn, randomly choose one non-vehicle unit in the enemy army. This unit is infested with bloodswarm nanoscarabs - any Flayed One packs entering play via Deep Strike do not scatter if they aim to arrive within 6" of this unit.

Vargard Obyron
Ghostwalk Mantle: Obyron can use the Ghostwalk Mantle in his Movement phase instead of moving normally. If he does, Obyron and his unit are removed from the tabletop and replaced together anywhere on the board using the rules for Deepstrike.

Does this mean I can have Vargard Obyron in a unit of Flayed Ones and deepstrike them so they dont scatter if placed next to a unit marked with Bloodswarm nanoscarabs? Even if already on the table?

These are some things I've been thinking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-11, 09:35 PM

lokis222's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowCrazy View Post
I've been going trough my Necron codex trying to think of new strategies, 2 interesting questions popped up in my head involving different special characters and their special abilities.

Anrakyr the Traveller
Mind in the Machine: At the start of your Shooting phase, chose an enemy vehicle within 18" and in Anrakyrs line of sight and roll a D6. On a roll of 3+, Anrakyr overrides the targeting system in that vehicle - you can immediately shoot with it as if it were your unit. The vehicle cannot alter its facing, and fires as if it had not moved. For the purposes of this attack, ignore any crew stunned or crew shaken results the target is suffering from - but destroyed weapons cannot be fired. Once these shooting attacks have been resolved, the vehicle returns to your opponent's control.

Pretty easy rule to understand but here is the question, what happens if I target a Doom Scythe with this ability, can I place the markers so that it actually attacks itself? Place the first marker in front of the Doom Scythe and the second point behind it. Can it basically destroy itself? Can it also shoot it's other weapons at itself?

Death ray: To fire the death ray, nommate a point on
the battlefield anywhere within the weapon's range. then
nominate a second point within 3D6" of the first. Then, draw
a straight line between the two points. Every unit (friendly or
enemy) underneath the line suffers a number of hits equal to
the number of models in the unit underneath the line. If the
vehicle's other weaponry is fired in the same shooting phase,
it must be fired at one of the units hit by the death ray.

Super Cheesy, but sounds like RAW.RAI, maybe not.
-------------------------------------
Imotekh the Stormlord
Bloodswarm nanoscarabs: At the start of the first game turn, randomly choose one non-vehicle unit in the enemy army. This unit is infested with bloodswarm nanoscarabs - any Flayed One packs entering play via Deep Strike do not scatter if they aim to arrive within 6" of this unit.

Vargard Obyron
Ghostwalk Mantle: Obyron can use the Ghostwalk Mantle in his Movement phase instead of moving normally. If he does, Obyron and his unit are removed from the tabletop and replaced together anywhere on the board using the rules for Deepstrike.

Does this mean I can have Vargard Obyron in a unit of Flayed Ones and deepstrike them so they dont scatter if placed next to a unit marked with Bloodswarm nanoscarabs? Even if already on the table?

These are some things I've been thinking about.
That last one might work. Not sure I would want to do it, but it could work. It would depend on the meaning of 'entering play'. My rulebook is MIA, so if entering play means any time you deepstrike, then yes. If entering play means coming in from reserves via deepstrike, then no.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-11, 09:38 PM
ItsPug's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd say yes to both. I would have thought that the death ray would state the points have to be in LOS, which would have stopped this but...

Overall Tournament Game Results W:78 D:22 L:32

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-11, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned
MadCowCrazy's Flag is: Aaland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPug View Post
I'd say yes to both. I would have thought that the death ray would state the points have to be in LOS, which would have stopped this but...
We dont exactly know if the weapon is turret mounted either.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-11, 10:04 PM

Creon's Flag is: USA

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and say a non-friendly model needs to be the "target" of the doom scythe attack. Even if he's not hit, just like JOTWW and similar, linear rulings, I think you actually have to have a valid target to fire the weapon.

And while it's "your" vehicle, the firing system itself is "friendly"
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-14-11, 10:36 PM

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

The first one would work just fine. Doom Scythes blowing themselves up sounds hilarious.

The second one, however, I doubt. Mainly because of one part: any Flayed One packs entering play via Deep Strike.

However, what you can do it just have Obyron join the Flayed Ones prior to them entering the game. When they DS in at the scarabs, they just pull him with them. Basically achieves the same thing, though granted you need to roll for reserves. Unless of course you have Zandrekh, in which case just counter-DS their asses.

Of course, they could always FAQ the Doom Ray into behaving like a Hellhound flamer; not allowing the end to be closer than the start to the tank, etc.

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.

Last edited by SoulGazer; 12-14-11 at 10:40 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-11, 12:00 AM

I'm actually amazed that Necron independant chars can join flayed one packs. Given the fluff, they'd all be terrified.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-11, 01:13 AM

There are trinkets to stop them getting the virus, their is a Cryptek who is or believes himself immune to the the virus in fall of Damnos.

My Deceiver is a shard of the true thing and yet has killed
Draigo
Lysander and countless marines
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-11, 11:53 AM
Vaz

Vaz's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
If it's hull mounted (like any inevitable - eventually - model will be according to the artwork), then the second marker will be out of line of Sight, and hence count as missing, would it not?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindi Baji View Post
It's not a black and white question really, there are different shades of anal probing,
a rectum spectrum, if you will
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-15-11, 12:15 PM

They Death Ray doesn't seem to need LoS to fire, it doesn't pick a target as such and there's no requirement to place the markers in your LoS. Even if you did have to pick a target the Doom Scythe IS and enemy model to Anrakyr the Traveller even though it is the one shooting. You would not be able to Tesla Destructor yourself though.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode