Lychguard + Tesla Destructor? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Rules Discussion Post any Warhammer 40k rules queries and discussions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

Default Lychguard + Tesla Destructor?

So the Lychguard Dispersion shields say they can reflect saved wounds from shooting attacks. What I'd like to know is if this applies to the Arc effect of Tesla Destructors. If the Lychguard are unengaged, would they be able to reflect the Arc effect at all? If they are engaged in CC, would they be able to reflect the Arc hits to enemy units near them that are not engaged?

The shield rules state reflected shots can only be directed into enemy units that are not in CC, but does not state that the Lychguard have to be unengaged. The Arc rules state that enemy or friendly units, engaged or unengaged, take hits based on D6 rolls.

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 04:05 PM

The Arc hits are not really a shooting attack, they're just Hits inflicted so you can't bounce them.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Curses.... *Goes to find more shenanigans*

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 04:32 PM

Hey don't despair, they might be shooting attacks so it might all work fine. What is and is not a shooting attack is a little vague.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Meh, this is all just for 5th edition anyways; 6th is probably gonna change a ton of stuff and make many things we find now obsolete.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 05:15 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

I'd say they do. I mean, you reflect when you save with the Shields, so technically it doesn't matter if it's a shot, hit or wound, it's still a shooting attack.

Of course, Tesla is AP - so you use your armour save so it isn't possible anyway. I do love the idea of shooting my own unit of Lychguard just to extend the range of my AP3 weapons by 6" though.

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Darvaleth View Post
I'd say they do. I mean, you reflect when you save with the Shields, so technically it doesn't matter if it's a shot, hit or wound, it's still a shooting attack.

Of course, Tesla is AP - so you use your armour save so it isn't possible anyway. I do love the idea of shooting my own unit of Lychguard just to extend the range of my AP3 weapons by 6" though.
Haha, yeah, that's kinda what I was going for. Forgot about the AP - though, good call.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 06:03 PM

Farseer Darvaleth's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulGazer View Post
Haha, yeah, that's kinda what I was going for. Forgot about the AP - though, good call.
Still works with the now shortened range of the Destroyers though, seeing as their weapons are AP3. You could even get it back up to 36" with the Lychguard in a conga line.

This could certainly be an interesting tactic. Wacky, crazy, utterly mad, yes; but so, so sneaky. Using your poor Lychguard as a range spring-board for swathes of your army.

Give a man a match, and he's warm for a day.

Set a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life!

Cato Marquand
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 06:05 PM

misinformed's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer Darvaleth View Post

Even though the point is kind of over now that you pointed out the whole AP - part... Just wanted to remind you that the shield actually does say that it is when you make the invulnerability save against a SHOOTING attack. That's the vague part... Personally, my gaming group would say it bounced because it is an attack that came at a range, and moreover, originated from a shot (even if it is an effect). After all, it even reflects blasts. Surprised the conversation wasn't about a demolition charge, in fact.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-11, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misinformed View Post
Even though the point is kind of over now that you pointed out the whole AP - part... Just wanted to remind you that the shield actually does say that it is when you make the invulnerability save against a SHOOTING attack. That's the vague part... Personally, my gaming group would say it bounced because it is an attack that came at a range, and moreover, originated from a shot (even if it is an effect). After all, it even reflects blasts. Surprised the conversation wasn't about a demolition charge, in fact.
I thought about that, but then I figured that they didn't want Lychguard to be able to reflect template weapons. After all, it wouldn't make sense that the force of a blast or flame is somehow re-directed, since the template itself does not move.

Heh, although that gives me flashbacks of old Zelda games where you had to use the level 2 shield to reflect a flame spout to pass a certain door. I doubt, however, that that is what they intended.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Rules Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode