Story Advancement to 41k - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

View Poll Results: How would you like to see the main plot handled?
A Global Campaign is the best way; let the players decide. 11 19.64%
Updated Big Rule Book and Codexes are enough to advance plot. 6 10.71%
Black Library can handle the depth needed for plot advancement. 1 1.79%
A combination of the above options. 23 41.07%
Who needs to advance anything? Warhammer 40k is just fine as it is. 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

Default Story Advancement to 41k

Assuming GW ever advances the story into the 42nd milleniun, how would you like to see it done? Or do you prefer the story should be perpetually kept in 40k and back story like the HH series is enough?

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 05:50 PM
General-jwj's Flag is: Albania

In a way they have already moved the story to M42, if the Ciaphas Cain novels are anything to go by. They happen decades after the year 41.000

Quote:
The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, Chapter 1 (Principles & Regulations), Section 2 (Rules and Regulations), Cowardice :
Any soldier who, in the face of the enemy, (...) attempts to take his own life shall be shot on the spot. (Art. 8055/14v)
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 05:50 PM

Lubacca's Flag is: USA

I personally think there's so much rich history that could be mined from 40k that advancement would be a detriment. But that's me.

I mean if you really think about it, if you're going to progress to 41k it better be a major shift. Like the Emperium of man fighting amoungst itself or the Tyranid threat basically just about taking over the entire space sector. It has to be something BIG you know? It can't just be change for the sake of change, but again that's just me

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 05:52 PM

cegorach's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think we should wait untill at least the seige of terra and all 18 of the known primarchs have been ironed out in the great crusade till we consider advancement.
But we do have a thousand years of constant combat to fill, so I think we have enough, its just people who want the universe permanantly shaped that want to advance things, but as it is we have balence. Well, balence except where Eldar are concerned.

But I have come to terms with it being the end of the Eldar.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

SoulGazer's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by General-jwj View Post
In a way they have already moved the story to M42, if the Ciaphas Cain novels are anything to go by. They happen decades after the year 41.000
Well, that's more like letting us know at least the Imperium is still around at that point. It paves the way for more, I suppose. I just want to know what else is going on around that time with the rest of the galaxy.

EA: The pattern has repeated itself more times than you can fathom. Game companies rise, evolve, advance, and at the apex of their glory, they are extinguished. Bioware was not the first. By utilizing our funding, game companies develop along the paths we desire. They exist because we allow it, and will end because we demand it.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 06:21 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Would have to be a dramatic shift in some shape or fashion to really emphasise the change otherwise they might as well do it all in the spare space within the 40k time frame.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 06:35 PM

This is the Time of Ending. Anything that comes after is going to be drastically different from how it is now. Such a shift will definitely require some juggling of the army balance (not on the table but in terms of the current fluff stalemate) which will piss some people off. As such I doubt GW will move it forward (why risk alienating some of you consumer base) and with such an expansive and rich history to mine they have no reason to.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 06:38 PM

normtheunsavoury's Flag is: England

There's no reason to advance anything, 40K is what it is, it hasn't really changed in the 25 odd years I've been playing (on and off) and I don't really see any point in changing it now.

Quote:
Also, Ewoks eat people.
Never forget that.
Ewoks. Eat. People.
Galahad.

Black Serpent Sun

FILE 18
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 08:13 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I'd say it should be a combination of factors... but I also think there are many more things to be explored before we go past the 11th hour. There are literally ten millennia worth of time to be explored, and a million or more worlds said events could take place on. There's so much lore that can be fleshed out before a leap is taken that is sure to polarize the fan-base.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 09:31 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Problem is it's really hard to slide major events into the current timeline, the only way to do something major is to progress past the current timeline, it really depends on whether you truly want something new and major to happen or continue to just flesh out the current timeline with many minor events.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode