Story Advancement to 41k - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

View Poll Results: How would you like to see the main plot handled?
A Global Campaign is the best way; let the players decide. 11 19.64%
Updated Big Rule Book and Codexes are enough to advance plot. 6 10.71%
Black Library can handle the depth needed for plot advancement. 1 1.79%
A combination of the above options. 23 41.07%
Who needs to advance anything? Warhammer 40k is just fine as it is. 15 26.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-13-11, 09:40 PM
General-jwj's Flag is: Albania

Considering it wouldn't take much to irrevocably damage the status quo and send some of the more endangered races in the game into a hopeless downward spiral of complete annihilation ... I don't think GW will do anything drastic anytime soon.

If the Tyranids get an advantage or press the assault, it's over. Same with the Necrons. The Tau and Eldar are small in numbers and influence as it is, so if it really started raining down on them at this point they'd probably be done for.

But the question is, how to advance the story ? The Tyranids get more worlds ? The Necrons get more worlds ? The Orks get more worlds ? The Imperium finds a new kick-ass STC or a Primarch or something ? The Eldar reactivate some millenia-old sorcerous trinket that they had lying about wth devastating consequences ?

I don't know enough about the lore to think of something game-changing that could happen outside of those possibilities ...

Quote:
The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer, Chapter 1 (Principles & Regulations), Section 2 (Rules and Regulations), Cowardice :
Any soldier who, in the face of the enemy, (...) attempts to take his own life shall be shot on the spot. (Art. 8055/14v)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 06:23 AM

cegorach's Flag is: United Kingdom

We can not under any circumstances let the players decide, there are far too many space wolf and space marine lovers in proportion to the other races to allow for an even transition.
We cannot allow players to decide because then it would just turn the whole of the 40k universe into a "who has the biggest fan base" competition, and the losers would be made massivly worse off

By losers I do primarily mean the Eldar
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 08:46 AM

Black Steel Feathers's Flag is: England

Maybe the turth about the Lost Primarchs comes out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by effigy22
"No daddy, not there... i will be a good boy! i promise! no... not the cupboard! DADDY PLEASE! NO NO NO! Horus is a good boy... horus is a good boy... horus is a good boy. Daddy loves horus... daddy loves horus... daddy loves horus..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend
haha, well I was just re-reading A Thousand Sons and came across teh line "the horns on Magnus's breast were thrusting"...
"With a hey-nonny-nonny and blood all over the place"
-Terry Pratchett

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 09:08 AM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Wahammer 40,000 is a setting, not an advancing story line... Thus it is good as it is...

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 09:17 AM
Feed

The Imperium has hope in the form of Dormant primarchs and potentially rediscovered STC`s.

And who knows what failsafes the guardians of the Black Library may instigate should they become desperate enough?

Assuming the plot ever progresses, their are plenty of potential rabbits to pull out of proverbial hats so plot advancement while keeping balance wouldn`t be a problem. However, given the paperwork and rewriting of sourcebooks needed I don`t really see it happening.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 10:13 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Wahammer 40,000 is a setting, not an advancing story line... Thus it is good as it is...
I agree, but GW seem to be advancing it anyway, if only in miniscule ways. Little tidbits like the Golden Toilet starting to act up and the Astronomican apparently not as bright as it was would make it appear that there are dark times ahead for humanity. If they're only going to move it along in tiny increments like this with every new edition, then it'll be 25 or 30 years before we see any significant developments.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 02:12 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
Problem is it's really hard to slide major events into the current timeline, the only way to do something major is to progress past the current timeline, it really depends on whether you truly want something new and major to happen or continue to just flesh out the current timeline with many minor events.
I'd argue the term "minor". Some of Abaddon's Black Crusades have been "minor". I think between the Sabbat Worlds Crusades and the various campaigns Forge World has put out for their "Imperial Armour" series, it's been shown that there are a lot of interesting concepts yet to be explored.

Last edited by Phoebus; 10-14-11 at 02:19 PM.
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 02:27 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

By minor I meant nothing on the scale of affecting all the races in the universe.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Words_of_Truth View Post
By minor I meant nothing on the scale of affecting all the races in the universe.
Which is for the best. Anything that messes with the overall status of a race is a bad idea. People will get pissed, GW will loose customers and it will become an even more Marine-centric universe. You can have lots of fun messing around without permenantly altering the status quo of races.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 03:46 PM

Words_of_Truth's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well they are already leaning towards other races, what with the most recent rulebook pretty much stating the Emperor is going to die soon and the rest of the Imperium is falling into ruin.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode