Why is Counter hated? - Page 6 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 09:58 AM

MuSigma's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatribe1974 View Post
Wow. This thread is still going? Can someone kill that stupid bunny that's powering this thread?

will that do

Last edited by MuSigma; 05-09-11 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 11:49 AM

The big issue when it comes to the 40K fandom 'hating' various people/things, is that they are confusing subjectively bad with objectively bad. I saw a thread over on Warseer talking about how Draigo was poor storytelling. I certainly saw no probs with it and I don't see how it is an objectively poor story; it seems to be the classic example of 'I think it's bad, therefore it's definitively bad', rather than 'I don't particularly like this, it just doesn't float my boat although I know others will enjoy it- fair play'. It's a strange idea that if something, or someone, doesn't agree with their vision of 40K, then it/they are wrong on all levels and should be reviled by all.
The way I see it is that a terrible literalism has afflicted the way people look at the fluff. This attitude sees people only going by the words on the page, not allowing their imagination to think around the action/attitudes/atmosphere and how it would link to all we already know. Fluff should never be a straightjacket for our imagination, only ever a springboard.

GFP
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-09-11, 01:10 PM

Gromrir Silverblade's Flag is: United Kingdom

Just a point, I know everyone talks about the characters being one sided in Battle for the abyss but they are Space marines, although they are men, they have been heavily modified mentally. Is it really that wrong to expect a genetically created superhuman to be a little bit one sided?

It is said that the guttural sound of Dwarfs bellowing Grungni’s name is enough to make an Elf’s knees knock and a Goblin turn a sickly shade of yellow!

post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-10-11, 03:57 PM

sethgabriel1990's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Only BC could make a character get 8 spider legs and think he's blessed by the Emperor. And Astartes that take their slave crew with them in boarding missions? lulz

I was reading through this expecting that somebody would have put this earlier! although I did like the sould drinkers books, I HATED Sarpedos silly leg situation. I also didnt like the way that Terminator dude, (Caeon? I forget...) was brought down by that Von Skorvold child/woman thing. But then again, I did think Tellos was cool.

And on another note, I bought the GK omnibus on the reccomendation of a friend, and managed to read it upto half way through the 3rd book... wow, that was a load of crap.

I do think that certain writers do get a hard time on here, but lets face it, they get told to portray characters in a certain light, and in the end, somebody must like them for them to get published right?

'All is dust!'
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 05-11-11, 07:33 AM

MuSigma's Flag is: England

Sometimes you might feel like saying to people,

"you DO know its fantasy; Dont You!!!"

Any way from what ive read, there seems to be certain types of person interested in a thread like this.

There are the "This guy SUX so much" types.

There are the "Hmm, I read that book, it seemed ok to me." types

And the "I read on page 452 that the large chain bolter gun carried 500 rounds, but according the "know it all" special edition rule book it should be listed as 600 rounds and for that I cannot possibley take this author seriously any more." types.

I am sure its ok to some times make stuff up, in a fictional genre.
Well you'd think so wouldn't you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode