No Hope? - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 04:21 PM

As a hypothetical, could the imperium operate a scorched earth policy to rid the nids of biomass/life force? It would hurt us a lot yes but would it weaken the hive sufficiently if everytime the hive landed that world released life eater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 05:16 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post
Applying real world analogies to WH40k as you did, then you could safely assume the High Lords of Terra, human and afraid of the dark, would happily give the reigns of control to more willing, able hands in such a horrible universe.
Yeah, because the High Lords are facing dire threats every day. The High Lords are in positions of luxury and power, living the lives that the normal people of the Imperium only dream about. They face no direct threats to their person, most likely at any point in their lives. Why would you give up ruling a galaxy wide Empire out of fear?

Can't think of anyone who would give up control of a galaxy wide empire because they were scared. Hell I can't see how they would have gotten to that level if they were scared.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 05:23 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
Yeah, because the High Lords are facing dire threats every day.

^

Doesn't include breached Webway.

Threat = coming soon not necessarily a Daemon materializing in your face every two seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wusword77 View Post
The High Lords are in positions of luxury and power, living the lives that the normal people of the Imperium only dream about.
Link.

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 05:56 PM

Wusword77's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus Darkblade View Post

Doesn't include breached Webway.

Threat = coming soon not necessarily a Daemon materializing in your face every two seconds.
Why don't you Link me something that states a high lord of Terra comes under direct attack every day as opposed to a picture of the forces that attack the Imperium as a whole.

With the Emperor on the Golden Throne the webway below Terra is shut and no deamons can enter, as evidenced by the fact the custodes no longer wear battle armor (which they might need if Deamons were rampaging through Terra every day).

Quote:
Link.
Are you asking me for a link? A link to specifically state that the heads of government bodies in a Empire spanning a million worlds are wealthy, powerful individuals? Well, there isn't one that spells it out that clearly. Though if you read McNeil's Ultramarines books, the planetary governor of Pavonis has plenty of wealth and power at her call. One would assume that the High Lords have considerably more power, being that they run the entire Imperium including Pavonis.

Last edited by Wusword77; 04-18-11 at 06:08 PM.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 06:05 PM

Ferrus Manus's Flag is: Ukraine

The whole revival of the Emperor through which ever theory you wish to believe would still not help the Imperium in having a better chance of surviving against the growing threats. Why? Well as stated by others it could create a civil war or cause rule to become unstable due to the contradiction of different beliefs and opinions, and as far as i understand if the Emperor was revived he would still need to sit on his shitty golden throne all day long so as to keep demons from flooding Terra and to keep the Astronomican in working order (as i believe there is no other psyker powerful enough to seal the rift for a long enough time). So basically the Emperor would just sit there listening to how his empire crumbles and he would be the last person to witness the enemy as they pour through his massive gold gates.

But if the emperor was to be revived is guess they wouldnt need to keep feeding him pyskers, which could be used at the front line...
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 06:55 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
Well they couldn't throughout the Scouring and subsequent time period prior to their disappearance, I see no reason why they would be able to now.
They had no need to fix it during the Scouring or there after. The fault has only come to light lately. At the time of the scouring the Golden Throne was still in it's plastic wrapping with the tags still on, so to speak. There was no reason to fix it, or to explore solutions for a "What if?" scenario. They seem to have been proved correct, as it has lasted 10,000 years before a serious fault came to light.
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-18-11, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
They had no need to fix it during the Scouring or there after. The fault has only come to light lately. At the time of the scouring the Golden Throne was still in it's plastic wrapping with the tags still on, so to speak. There was no reason to fix it, or to explore solutions for a "What if?" scenario. They seem to have been proved correct, as it has lasted 10,000 years before a serious fault came to light.
But just fixing the Golden Throne (as in returning it to it's regular working self) doesn't acheive a heck of a lot. It maintains the status quo which doesn't look good for the Imperium. Not to mention that neither of the two more technically minded Primarchs (Perturabo and Ferrus) will be coming back to work on it. The Primarchs maybe super-intelligent but I don't think they're super intelligent in every single field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonictalkin56 View Post
As a hypothetical, could the imperium operate a scorched earth policy to rid the nids of biomass/life force? It would hurt us a lot yes but would it weaken the hive sufficiently if everytime the hive landed that world released life eater?
This has already been used to pretty good effect by the Imperium. It's called the Kryptman Gambit, I think, and named after the Imperiums foremost expert on the Nids.

"Look into my eyes, and see your death."
"Let them hate, so long as they fear."
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 07:38 AM

I thought the gambit was leading the nids into an ork waaagh zone and letting them deal with each other (using a lictors pheromones as bait if i remember) and while it is holding them up whoever wins that is going to be one hell of a bar steward to kill?
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-19-11, 10:25 AM

Sorry but look at the map up there. The red diamond on the far left next to the Ocularis Terribus. That's Mendregard, the Iron Warriors new Homeworld isn't it?
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-20-11, 06:16 PM

NiceGuyEddy's Flag is: Ireland

It's curious how people don't seem to think the primarchs coming home would do any good. I think in the unlikely event of one of them returning humanity will be greatly strengthened.

Many of the primarchs left to undertake titanic quests in the name of mankind the fruits of which will be huge deal breakers albeit far fetched. Going on the loyalists charachter I don't believe they simply lost hope and wandered off. I think it's fairly logical to assume they went out looking for something and won't return until they find it, the alternative being death.

With this in mind if Russ comes back alive humanity will presumably gain the "tree of life", should the Khan re-emerge humanity will learn how to defeat hordes of Dark Eldar on their own turf and gain what would probably be a mastery of the web way and if Corax come back they would gain knowledge of how to survive and combat the warp.

There's also the possibility of a loyalist primarch returning someday with the remainder of humanity united under his banner (lets not forget that although the crusade was nearing conclusion there was still plenty of exploring and re-uniting to be done) or maybe a fully functioning STC allowing the imperium to construct pretty much anything it wants from anything.

There seems to be a commonly held belief on this website that returning primarch would be rejected to which I would say if a primarch returned at the imperiums hour of need and when all seems lost with any one of the weapons that they set out to achieve no amount of imperial dogma and corruption is going to stop what's left of humanity from embracing them as saviours.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode