What is the Astartes "Secret"? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-11, 07:44 PM

Well i think we should focus on one statement. "you do not feel as others do."

I think they're refering to the emotions that humans feel that they don't. Fear is one it forces ppl to much greater feats than they could otherwise manage. i know that space marines do those normally but to force a space marine to greater feats..... but i'm sure the lack of fear and the psycho doctrination would mess with their other emotions too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-11, 07:48 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Because the Imperium fears psykers? And while the Space Marines have no problem recruiting psykers who fit certain criteria to become Librarians they wouldn't necessarily want someone who could *potentially* manifest psychic powers at some random point?

What happened in the "Salamanders" trilogy is the exception, not the rule--and even then, it came gift-wrapped with prophecy.

But again, it's just a matter of conjecture/theory.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-11, 09:13 PM

Weapon's Flag is: Ireland

Fuck your psychic potential.

Fire piss>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>psychic potential

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-11, 08:28 AM

tau112's Flag is: United Kingdom

It could just mean that the space marines gene seed has the memorys of their primarch. In which the astates have managed to keep locked up in their mind.

"For the Emperor and Sanguinius!"
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-11, 09:10 AM

steelrudi's Flag is: USA

I'm going to guess that it is a block of their once "human" emotions, such as envy, love, compasion, and the like. these things tend to make a normal human second guess their actions, and constitute alot towards free will, not something you want in a super soldier. If they could love, it could pose a serious problem of longing, desire, and jealous feeling,and dicipline would severly suffer. These also tend to generate alot of fear too. But I wouldn't discount the fire piss either..............................

The earth would be a great place to live if it wasn't for all the people.

Mans only redeeming quality was to invent plastic. We've done that, now we can leave!
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-11, 09:16 AM

Weapon's Flag is: Ireland

^THANK YOU.

Great minds think alike my friend.

It probably has something to do with the way chaos whispers to erry'thing.

But then again space marines are brainwashed (Not the right word, but it get's the message across) into believing that chaos is evil and terrible and a big crap.

So I'm really not 100% on what it could mean.

Maybe it's explained in the book somewhere?

Try reading over it again a few times.

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-11, 04:08 PM

Over Two Meters Tall!'s Flag is: USA

Considering all the psycho-indoctrination the Astares go through, along with the physiological mutations, I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume their minds could be given an increased capacity for phychic potential, but have it locked away. I'm sure the Emperor would view the psychic ability of the Eldar as part of their keys to success and was making similar plans to improve humanity.

The entire point of the fluff is how the Heresy froze many of the Emperor's plans for humanity and locked the species in a virtual technological and cultural suspended animation, hence 10,000 years without any significant changes or intentional improvements. If the Emperor was intending on storming the Warp following the phychic evolution of humanity, he'd want to ensure his watch dogs had a leg up first.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you have to load, or if you have to unload, go to the White Zone. You'll love it... it's a way of life.

Nick Naylor: Cigarettes in space?
Jeff Megall: It's the final frontier, Nick.
Nick Naylor: But wouldn't they blow up in an all oxygen environment?
Jeff Megall: Probably. But it's an easy fix. One line of dialogue. 'Thank God we invented the... you know, whatever device.'
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-05-11, 10:47 PM
hailene's Flag is: USA

I still don't think it has anything to do with psychic potential. If there was any potential, they would have continued to test and make sure that the Space Marine hopeful was pure and could resist the temptations of the warp.

Space Marine chapters are very particular about their recruits and I'm pretty sure they follow the "if in doubt you are out" philosophy. Particularly the Ultramarines since their recruitment pool is so much larger.

If it was undetected talent that remained latent, how could they have locked it away without knowing it was there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Two Meters Tall! View Post
The entire point of the fluff is how the Heresy froze many of the Emperor's plans for humanity and locked the species in a virtual technological and cultural suspended animation, hence 10,000 years without any significant changes or intentional improvements. If the Emperor was intending on storming the Warp following the phychic evolution of humanity, he'd want to ensure his watch dogs had a leg up first.
Things have changed immensely since the Emperor was entombed into the Golden Throne. Namely the whole secular thing going out the window and the entire Imperium worshiping him as a god. The creation of the Council of Terra and all its parts (some like the Adeptus Minisotrum being added thousands of years after his entombment). Technology is in constant flux (both in losing and gaining new/old knowledge, which way it's headed more is up to debate).

And personally I think the Emperor was moving away from a psychic humanity. Or at least one free of the Warp (and thus the Chaos gods). His decree at Nikaea outlawed the use of psykers within the Legions (which was overturned sometime after he was entombed since we have the whole Librarian corps). The creation of the Webway would also reduce dependency on Navigators and astropaths.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode