None Cult Legions - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Zaden's Flag is: Canada

Default None Cult Legions

Note: Some spoilers for the Soul Hunter, Storm of Iron and Blood Gorgons novels.

The more traitor legion books I read, the more I am seeing evidence of the following. Just wondering: do individual members of legions that have not wholly devoted themselves to a specific chaos god have the option to individually align themselves?

In Soul Hunter, it seemed that Tzeentch, Slaanesh and Khorne had all influenced or even turned specific members of the Night Lords to their way. In Storm of Iron, numerous members of the Iron Warriors were devoted to Khorne, and some just somewhat devoted to his ways, but not entirely. In Blood Gorgons, many of them had gifts of mutation, though I don't think it specified that the BGs were aligned with any one god. And ultimately Nurgle had his sights on them. Nurgle had even turned one of their main psykers.

So unless you are in one of the four cult legions, and the Black Legion I guess, can you just choose to align with the god of your choice? Are some legions lax with their rules on this? You would think having multiple god-aligned members would cause problems within the legion, in-fighting if you will.

Click to feed! =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-28-11, 07:40 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Not necessarily. If the warband was led by a strong, charismatic leader could easily maintain control over different cults within the warband. Alternatively, there could be a rather powerful group within the warband (ie Chaos Terminators) that police the group and prevent the worst of the infighting.

But given the very nature of Chaos, there always will be infighting. Even the Word Bearers and the Iron Warriors, the two most cohesive of the Traitor Legions have infighting and plotting against one another.

As to individual alignments within a warband, it depends on the nature of the warband. As you referenced, Undivided Legions have individuals and squads dedicated to a single God or at least edging in that direction. So again, it all depends on the group.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Makes sense. Chaos is chaotic. The novels coming out these days are changing some of the ways I've viewed the 40k universe. I guess thats fine, but sometimes when I'm reading these books I put them down and think "What the F?! Thats not the way these guys are supposed to act!". Nothing wrong with keeping it fresh, just sucks when they start to contradict, or at least contradict my understanding of things =). Thanks for the reply.

Click to feed! =)

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 07:08 PM
Craw-Daddy

I think its much deeper than that. I don't think one just choses, that they want to worship a god because they think the god looks cool or something. Its just what characteristics in themselves most embody one particular god. So its what they most enjoy. And because of these really small characteristics, the gods give them small gifts to better enjoy those sensations. Maybe its just being a bit quicker, or a bit tougher, a bit stimulated in combat, a bit more knowledgeable. But these gifts are relatively simple.

As time progresses they start to really enjoy these gifts and the characteristics they have. Until they get bigger gifts/mutations. At this point I think this is when they start to accept a chaos deity. When they want more.

At least in Soul Hunter it seemed that those who seemed to have characteristics to particular deities didn't seem like they had fully accepted themselves to worship them. But I will say it looked like they were just at the verge of doing so.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-29-11, 07:57 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaden View Post
Makes sense. Chaos is chaotic. The novels coming out these days are changing some of the ways I've viewed the 40k universe. I guess thats fine, but sometimes when I'm reading these books I put them down and think "What the F?! Thats not the way these guys are supposed to act!". Nothing wrong with keeping it fresh, just sucks when they start to contradict, or at least contradict my understanding of things =). Thanks for the reply.
Keep in mind that there is a difference between the TT and in universe fluff. What's in the Rulebooks and Codices tends to be more rigid and black and white while in the fluff things are more... colorful. The typical verses the more unique. In fact on the Bolter and Chainsword forum, Aaron Dembski-Bowden made a really great comment about Codex fluff verse BL fluff when discussing the exact nature of Ingethel the Ascended. You can find it here.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-11, 03:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link. ADB does a good job of explaining it for sure. Great author. Thanks for explaining the progression as well CK. Makes sense.

Click to feed! =)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode