Master of the What Now? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
40k Fluff Discuss GW background material here. All those bits in the Codex that aren't stat blocks or special rules. Post your custom character/chapter/army background in our Homebrew Fluff subforum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Cambrius's Flag is: USA

Default Master of the What Now?

Does anyone know, or know where I could find, definitions of the Astartes titles like Master of the Watch, Master of Arsenal, et cetera, as well at what duties those titles require?

Check out my homebrew projects! Index Astartes: Arkangels Sourcebook: Persica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 08:09 PM
Eastern Potent

Lord Sven Kittyclaw's Flag is: Canada

As far as I know, the specific roles of the titles are not actually listed. In the 5th Edition space marine codex, it says which captains are which master of.. person. Though I think the titles themselves leave little to the imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezlad View Post
I'll update from Prisoner Cell Block Nerd when they extradite me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Fair enough, but what the hell does Master of the Watch mean? What does he do?

I realise there just may not be an answer here, certainly not to satisfy my detail-oriented curiosity. That would suck.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 08:41 PM

BlackGuard's Flag is: USA

I am not 100% sure, but I believe Master of the Watch keeps tract of the reconnissance of the Chapter. For Fleet-based this would mean he supervises the scanner-teams and keeps a general eye on whats exactly going on -- though this might be within the realm of authority of the Master of the Fleet.

For planet-based chapters, he would probably be the one who keeps eye on the orbital recon satelliates and the native populace and general happenings of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldman78 View Post
The chaos gods abandoned Horus most likely because they saw the can of whoop ass coming their way and wanted out of the way so as not to get fucked up!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 09:02 PM
Mob

Or it could be 'Watch' as in 'Guards'.
So the Master of the Watch is the guy in charge of supervising the security and defence of the fortress-monastery. Which is a position I can see 2nd company captain having if 1st is 2-ic (ie admin until CO is out of action for whatever reason) and third is armourer.

The rest are indeed, fairly self-explanatory. Although 'Marches' may mean perimeter security, or it may mean supervising the admin of what units are on deployment, or maybe even recon - as the Scout Captain appears to be in charge of the recruitment process, not actual scout deployment.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-11, 10:06 PM

Akatsuki13's Flag is: Canada

I too believe that the Master of the Watch keeps watch over the Fortress-Monstary but that he also is responsible for guarding their recruiting worlds. Take Gabriel of the Blood Ravens. He was their Master of the Watch and through out the DoW series, he's been involved in the matters of the BR recruiting worlds.

'There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.'
Akatsuki13's Daemon Den
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

I agree with Lord Sven, most of the titles are easy enough. Master of Recruits, Master of the Fleet, even Master of the Arsenal seems straightforward.

I wonder if the definition of 'the Watch' is even different from chapter to chapter. Gabriel Angelos is 3rd Company, but Sicarius is Master of the Watch from the Ultramarines 2nd.

And Chief Victualler seems a bit whimsical. Yes, the servitors and serfs have to eat, but having an Astartes captain concerned with food and supplies?

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 06:32 PM

Davidicus 40k's Flag is: USA

Hmm, the only "Master of" title I've seen repeatedly is Master of the Forge (which is self-explanatory), but I'm no fluff buff.

"Consequence of Mercy" - Written for KingOfCheese
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-11, 10:37 PM
Nick1080's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambrius View Post
And Chief Victualler seems a bit whimsical. Yes, the servitors and serfs have to eat, but having an Astartes captain concerned with food and supplies?
"The amateurs discuss tactics: the professionals discuss logistics."

Never underestimate the importance of logistics and provisioning to an army

An army marches on its stomach, even a superhuman one that eats it's enemy's brains...

I'd imagine 'chief victualler' would have a wider logistics remit to do with ensuring that marine detachments leave the home world provided with suitable equipment and consumable supplies and also with securing suitable sources of said supplies.

Or maybe he's just the chef in charge of the victory feasts ;) Kinda Gordon Ramsey turned up to 11...

Nick.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Fluff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode